Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Thinking about an upgrade (newer faster cigarette) >

Thinking about an upgrade (newer faster cigarette)

Notices

Thinking about an upgrade (newer faster cigarette)

Old 07-16-2024, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 798 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by 81Cigarette33
Nice boat but I think I have landed on it going to be a Cafe Racer. Although I need to sell my boat for multiple reasons. First to move forward to the next boat. Second to free up some space and third is the cash is always nice. Any thoughts to my approach to selling it parts, as is, or turnkey. I leaning towards just taking the hit and selling as is!
i personally think you’d be happier with a TG. Even if it’s not mine. They are faster, longer, hold value, look better, and more iconic.

to each there own I guess…good luck in the hunt!!!
Old 07-16-2024, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 3,230 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
i personally think you’d be happier with a TG. Even if it’s not mine. They are faster, longer, hold value, look better, and more iconic.

to each there own I guess…good luck in the hunt!!!

agreed. I’ve owned both. Guns a better all around boat. Cafe is fine. No problems. But a gun is a better boat.

and a
cafe doing 90+ with 750 hp? Meeeeeeeeeh, I’d like to see that.

Last edited by thisistank; 07-16-2024 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-17-2024, 05:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 802 Likes on 370 Posts

I agree with tank. I would think a 600hp Cafe is going to net you about 75-77 on Bravos.

750 maybe puts you in the low to mid 80’s? I could be wrong, but I’d take both the 750 and the 90 with a grain of salt.
Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again to all. My reason for 35 or shorter is simple that I don’t use the cabin, my dock can’t accommodate anything more, and my thought was a longer boat is going to be slower.

Why would a Top Gun be faster than a Café Racer assuming the same power and drives?

I always thought of speed as function of hull displacement. My 1981 33’ displaced a lot of water because it is wide and it has a low drive height. Super safe rough water boat but not fast.

What are the difference between the Top Gun and the Café Racer that make the Top Gun faster?

Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 875 Likes on 503 Posts

Thanks again to all. My reason for 35 or shorter is simple that I don’t use the cabin, my dock can’t accommodate anything more, and my thought was a longer boat is going to be slower.

Why would a Top Gun be faster than a Café Racer assuming the same power and drives?

I always thought of speed as function of hull displacement. My 1981 33’ displaced a lot of water because it is wide and it has a low drive height. Super safe rough water boat but not fast.

What are the difference between the Top Gun and the Café Racer that make the Top Gun faster?
81Cigarette,

I believe the Cafe Racer is a straight bottom hull and the Top Gun is a stepped hull. Given the same hull, power and weight otherwise, the stepped hull will run considerably faster, due to ventilation and reduced wetted surface.

Thanks. Brad.
Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
81Cigarette,

I believe the Cafe Racer is a straight bottom hull and the Top Gun is a stepped hull. Given the same hull, power and weight otherwise, the stepped hull will run considerably faster, due to ventilation and reduced wetted surface.

Thanks. Brad.
These are all straight bottom boats being discussed. The t/s Top Guns are much faster.

Not an expert but my understanding from what I’ve read is that the Top Gun’s hull is better balanced and more efficient than the Cafe. I’m sure others with more knowledge will chime in.
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 875 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
These are all straight bottom boats being discussed. The t/s Top Guns are much faster.

Not an expert but my understanding from what I’ve read is that the Top Gun’s hull is better balanced and more efficient than the Cafe. I’m sure others with more knowledge will chime in.
Tom,

All good. I googled the two hulls, and all the images of TGs appeared to have a couple steps. Google very often gets it wrong, though, as witnessed by the fact that there were several TGs, and labeled as such, that came up in my search for Cafes.

Carry on....

Thanks. Brad.
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 798 Likes on 377 Posts

It’s fairly common knowdledge that top guns with equal power and drives are faster than cafes.

the TG bottom has a notched transom. The cafe does not.
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All new knowledge for me, so thanks to all! How significant is the difference. Are we talking a couple miles an hour, 5, or 10 MPH if both boats have the same power and drive.. I think I will be need to get a Cafe Racer for multiple reason but I may need to make sure to have good power.

I am assuming that the Cafe Racer is a good boat just not as fast as the Top Gun.
Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 161 Likes on 73 Posts

All new knowledge for me, so thanks to all! How significant is the difference. Are we talking a couple miles an hour, 5, or 10 MPH if both boats have the same power and drive.. I think I will be need to get a Cafe Racer for multiple reason but I may need to make sure to have good power.

I am assuming that the Cafe Racer is a good boat just not as fast as the Top Gun.
probably 2-3 mph but the gap gets bigger the faster you go. The 38 is a better boat any way you look at it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.