Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Thinking about an upgrade (newer faster cigarette) >

Thinking about an upgrade (newer faster cigarette)

Notices

Thinking about an upgrade (newer faster cigarette)

Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What makes the Top Gun better. 2-3 MPH is not significant for me since I will not be racing the boat. What details, quality, options make the Top Gun better?
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 705 Posts

Personally, I love the Cafe especially with the newer cabin. I came close to buying Seafordguy’s back a few years ago. They can crush a sea well and are just a cool looking boat. And you don’t see them as often as you do a Top Gun - if much at all. The three I knew of all left Hampton Roads years ago now.

Regarding the notch… I believe the later Cafe Racers had it but still equal in speed to the Top Gun with like power.

I wouldn’t walk away from a nice Cafe.

Old Today, 12:27 AM
Registered

Received 3,232 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by 81Cigarette33
Thanks again to all. My reason for 35 or shorter is simple that I don’t use the cabin, my dock can’t accommodate anything more, and my thought was a longer boat is going to be slower.

Why would a Top Gun be faster than a Café Racer assuming the same power and drives?

I always thought of speed as function of hull displacement. My 1981 33’ displaced a lot of water because it is wide and it has a low drive height. Super safe rough water boat but not fast.

What are the difference between the Top Gun and the Café Racer that make the Top Gun faster?
The cafe racer is nearly 36' in length. The Top gun is just over 37 feet.

The 90's gun / Cafe share a very similar cockpit and cabin.

The top gun hull is more efficient and yes, will be faster power to power. I'd say 3-5mph. The two boats weigh almost the same. The notched transom helps but the CG is just better on a gun. There were only 3 cafes that had a notched transom as I recall and it didn't work well, again due to the CG.

In my experience from a LOT of seat time in Cafe Racers, Tigers, Top Guns and having owned two Top Guns and a Cafe, the Gun is a better boat all around. Specifically, it's faster, more efficient and in my experience, handles rough water better. Smaller benifits are the added space in the cockpit is slight but noticable, especially if you want to sit down in the boslter seats. Your knees will hit on a Cafe, they do not on a gun. And while the cabin is very similar on the two, the Guns two facing lounge chairs at the table on the port side and true L loung on the starboard are much more comfortable when making cocktails or stepping out of the sun compared to the Cafes Fold up forward seat at the table and L lounge. The Step at the bottom of the cabin floor when entering the cabin actually makes a big difference for ease of access to the cabin on the gun as do the foot rests on the top gun to the front of the bolsters that "most" cafes didn't come with. Also, the drink holder on the port side of the dash are nice and, with that design it makes it easier to stop up onto the dash to gain access to the bow. Theres other stuff but thats off the top of my head. Also, even though the true length difference isn't much, as stated, size matters in rough water. Ask anyone that's owned a 35 and 38, even stepped boats. The 38's run better in the rough. Even though the two are close in size and weight, the 38's have a little more bow that makes them run better.

I too wouldn't walk away from a killer deal on a Cafe and I'm not knocking them. I actually enjoyed the crap out of our cafe but if I had X amount of cash to spend and I could pick up a clean Top Gun over a Clean Cafe at that said price point...Top Gun aaaaaaaaall day long.

Last edited by thisistank; Today at 12:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jeff32 (Today)