Difference between a 38 Flat Deck and a 38 Top Gun >

Difference between a 38 Flat Deck and a 38 Top Gun

Notices

Difference between a 38 Flat Deck and a 38 Top Gun

Old 07-08-2003, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between a 38 Flat Deck and a 38 Top Gun

I'm wondering what the difference is between the 38 Flat Deck and the 38 TG? Specifically, the name change would imply that that TG has a new deck - I'm assuming that it is raised over the deck that is on a flat deck. How much additional headroom are we talking about? 2 inches? 6 inches? Are there any other interior differences? Does the flat deck have an enclosed head?

Also, I've heard that on a flat deck, the V runs all the way to the transom, and the TG has a notch. Does this mean that a TG has a higher X-dimension? Any other differences in the bottom between these two models?

I'm starting a search for an older Cig (the only kind I will be able to afford) and the Admiral has some requirements for the interior. Personally, I'm looking for a big, heavy, wave crushing boat. Our home waters tend to look like a washing machine most weekends, and I'm tired of getting beat up by cruiser wakes and whatnot. Speedwise, if I can see mid-60's to mid-70's, I'd be happy - there's always someone faster, and I don't have the budget to be breaking the boat all the time. I figure 70 mph is a good reliable speed.

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-08-2003, 09:16 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Top Gun has a different cap than the 38 Hawk/flat deck. The 38 Hawk/flat deck had a much sharper angle to the fairing. The Gun has a different dash and cabin and is much more sleek than it's predecessor.

Here's the old dash.
Attached Thumbnails Difference between a 38 Flat Deck and a 38 Top Gun-38-hawk-dash.jpg  

Last edited by PokerRunGunT/S; 07-08-2003 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:17 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Top Gun dash
Attached Thumbnails Difference between a 38 Flat Deck and a 38 Top Gun-dash-front.jpg  
Old 07-08-2003, 09:18 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

old cabin
Attached Thumbnails Difference between a 38 Flat Deck and a 38 Top Gun-38-hawk-cabin.jpg  
Old 07-08-2003, 09:18 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

new
Attached Thumbnails Difference between a 38 Flat Deck and a 38 Top Gun-cabin.jpg  
Old 07-08-2003, 09:31 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

The Top Gun does have the notch and higher "X" Dimension. You will get your money back out of a Gun much quicker than a Flat Deck.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The early Top Gun did not have the notch.

The notch was added to the Top Gun in 1989

A notched top gun will run about 4-5 mph faster over a non notch transom with equal power.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:24 PM
Registered

The flat deck has more cabin room, due to the fact that there is no enclosed bathroom, the top gun is lighter and the deck has the flush hatches, of course the flat deck has the old style dash.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:12 AM
Registered

Looks like a flat deck is out then - Mama ain't gonna let me buy a 38' boat with no enclosed head. Maybe an early Gun then....

That being said, the rumor mill says that early Guns with Bravos tend to propoise, since the hull was originally balanced with the engines forward a foot or two to accomodate TRS or SSM drives + trannies. True? If so, was it corrected and in what year?

Always nice to get a bit of Cig education...
Old 07-09-2003, 07:31 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

I had a 92 Top Gun with the TRS setup. It rode great. It needed the tabs around 2-3 for normal cruising. A friend of mine has a 95 Gun with Bravo's and 500's. It rides decent. He still needs a little tab to stabilize it fully. It is SLOOOW though. 62-65 mph. It really depends on what power you end up with. The ones with bigger power seem to ride better.

Quick Reply: Difference between a 38 Flat Deck and a 38 Top Gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.