More Cigarette questions >

More Cigarette questions

Notices

More Cigarette questions

Old 07-29-2004, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: More Cigarette questions

So The Question Is; Does Someone Need To Have Steps On A 30 Foot Boat. I Could See If Was 40 Foot+ , But 30 May Not Need Steps. Yes It Will Be Faster 3-4mph, But Were Are Talking Safety............................................ ......have A Nice Day.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gordo,

Raymonds still has a new Non Step 30 with 377 scorps you might make an offer on. I don't know if Charlen is ready to part with it but its been on the lot for 3 or 4 years now.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:49 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

VB,
Looked at it last weekend. I think she wants to deal on it, but I'd like to have the power.
Scott, having been in and raced a number of boats with and without steps, I agree that step bottom boats don't turn like a conventional V and are less forgiving. However, if you know this up front and learn/respect the limits of the boat, this should not be a problem. In racing we push to the edge, but when out cruising around, why does anyone need to turn that hard?
As for the flipped Mystique, I believe Dreamer thought someone was saying it was the pictured 496 boat that flipped.
Ok, so if the Enrique 575 boat was totaled, I'm curious. Where is it now, and how can I find out who has it with what damage?
Nick, I'm thinking the one that Tres is offering didn't gain 20k in value when they kept saying that Dave Hunter could fix everything for $2500 or so. That boat has still had a hard life.
It's becoming obvious that the resale of the 30 Mystique pretty much sucks. Since I'm weight and length limited, maybe I would be better off looking at another brand. I wouldn't be a Cigarette owner, but at least I'd be saving some money up front.
I'll be on the road for the next 11 or 12 days racing Milwaukee and the Reggie race in NC, so I'll have plenty of windshield time to think about stuff.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gordo
VB,
Looked at it last weekend. I think she wants to deal on it, but I'd like to have the power.
Scott, having been in and raced a number of boats with and without steps, I agree that step bottom boats don't turn like a conventional V and are less forgiving. However, if you know this up front and learn/respect the limits of the boat, this should not be a problem. In racing we push to the edge, but when out cruising around, why does anyone need to turn that hard?
As for the flipped Mystique, I believe Dreamer thought someone was saying it was the pictured 496 boat that flipped.
Ok, so if the Enrique 575 boat was totaled, I'm curious. Where is it now, and how can I find out who has it with what damage?
Nick, I'm thinking the one that Tres is offering didn't gain 20k in value when they kept saying that Dave Hunter could fix everything for $2500 or so. That boat has still had a hard life.
It's becoming obvious that the resale of the 30 Mystique pretty much sucks. Since I'm weight and length limited, maybe I would be better off looking at another brand. I wouldn't be a Cigarette owner, but at least I'd be saving some money up front.
I'll be on the road for the next 11 or 12 days racing Milwaukee and the Reggie race in NC, so I'll have plenty of windshield time to think about stuff.
gordo, so what would be a good number for the mystique with 377. i think it should being around 125k with the trailer, now if it had bigger power say 500efi 145-155k. the last mystique that sold that i know about is a 01 non step with 500efis around 150hours sold for 145k; not bad for a 31 foot boat with good power and the cigarette name. have a nice day
Old 07-30-2004, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordo
VB,
I've come to the same realization...that's why I'm shying away from the 30's.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja Daze
I've come to the same realization...that's why I'm shying away from the 30's.
why is that, the mystique is a great boat. it all goes back to, you get what you pay for. if someone was looking for; lets say a 33 foot baja with 500efis and xr drives, 01-02 in new cond. the price would be around 140-150k. so would someone want a cigarette or a baja for almost the same price. thats my point. the cigaette will hold it value much better in the long run......
Old 07-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scottsumrall
So The Question Is; Does Someone Need To Have Steps On A 30 Foot Boat. I Could See If Was 40 Foot+ , But 30 May Not Need Steps. Yes It Will Be Faster 3-4mph, But Were Are Talking Safety............................................ ......have A Nice Day.

Originally Posted by scottsumrall
why is that, the mystique is a great boat. it all goes back to, you get what you pay for. if someone was looking for; lets say a 33 foot baja with 500efis and xr drives, 01-02 in new cond. the price would be around 140-150k. so would someone want a cigarette or a baja for almost the same price. thats my point. the cigaette will hold it value much better in the long run......

You are on the right track in your thinking. The only comment I will continue to disagree with, is the step issue. If someone is not competent or patient enough to learn how to properly drive a stepped boat, they have no business behind the wheel of a straight either. I've had 4 Straights and one Step. The stepped boat outperforms the straights by a large margin.

They are just as safe as a straight, but faster! FASTER is why they are more prone to an accident. Take a straight bottom that runs 90+ and crank the wheel, just wear your kill switches. Some people don't need to go 80+ mph. Check your ego at the door and listen to people with tons more seat time. They are WAY faster than 3-4 mph over a straight. Although, most with an opinion have never even been in a stepped boat, much less driven one.

I gave by buddy Kevin of Midwest Powerboats his first ride in a stepped Cig. He is now shopping for one.

Last edited by PokerRunGunT/S; 07-30-2004 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PokerRunGunT/S
You are on the right track in your thinking. The only comment I will continue to disagree with, is the step issue. If someone is not competent or patient enough to learn how to properly drive a stepped boat, they have no business behind the wheel of a straight either. I've had 4 Straights and one Step. The stepped boat outperforms the straights by a large margin.

They are just as safe as a straight, but faster! FASTER is why they are more prone to an accident. Take a straight bottom that runs 90+ and crank the wheel, just wear your kill switches. Some people don't need to go 80+ mph. Check your ego at the door and listen to people with tons more seat time. They are WAY faster than 3-4 mph over a straight. Although, most with an opinion have never even been in a stepped boat, much less driven one.

I gave by buddy Kevin of Midwest Powerboats his first ride in a stepped Cig. He is now shopping for one.
your statements a correct, but the t/s mystique with 500efis runs right at 85mph. the straight bottom is right at 81mph. so that only 4mph. yes if the boat is 38+ feet i think you need steps; but on a 30 I'm not so sure. also if you run at cruise speed around 45-55 the bottoms are the same, its only the top end that makes the faster speeds with the air getting under the hull. so saying all that if 4-5 mph is the deal someone does not need to buy a cigarette they need a cat. i hope I'm making scene.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=. also if you run at cruise speed around 45-55 the bottoms are the same, its only the top end that makes the faster speeds with the air getting under the hull. so saying all that if 4-5 mph is the deal someone does not need to buy a cigarette they need a cat. i hope I'm making scene.[/QUOTE]

?
Old 07-30-2004, 05:09 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=dreamer]
Originally Posted by . also if you run at cruise speed around 45-55 the bottoms are the same, its only the top end that makes the faster speeds with the air getting under the hull. so saying all that if 4-5 mph is the deal someone does not need to buy a cigarette they need a cat. i hope I'm making scene.[/QUOTE

?
i guess what iam trying to say is why would i need a step bottom if iam only going to run at cruise speed 95% of the time? also, do the steps hold more value?.......................

Quick Reply: More Cigarette questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.