Notices

extension boxes

Old 12-28-2004, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: extension boxes

Originally Posted by Jamie B.
I would think that the power and/or the existing top speed of the boat in question would have alot to do with how much / how little speed is picked up. Meaning, I would think that extension boxes are more effective on boats that are ALREADY running over, say, 80 mph BEFORE the install compared to ones running, say, 60 mph.
Is this a true statement, or just something you think? shouldn't you see the same percentage of gains no matter what your top end is before install? Just tring to learn as much as I can. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The boxes "should" improve your angle of "attack" ... the "attitude" of the boat .

However .... I would not think you would see much speed increase starting at 60 ???

there's your mystery ...
Old 12-28-2004, 08:54 AM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SKRAMER
Is this a true statement, or just something you think? shouldn't you see the same percentage of gains no matter what your top end is before install? Just tring to learn as much as I can. Thanks for the help.
Just something that I think in theory would be correct, I never had extension boxes on my Cafe.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

projects;
1999 38 TG 635 HP, oringinal speed 78 MPH after the box and some bottom work and one size bigger prop 82 MPH. X was raised 3 inches
2000 TG 500 Carb speed 67 MPH @ 5000 RPM , Modify bottom raise X 3 inch with box, one prop size up, 73.5 MPH
same customer ordered a new 38 TG we rigged it here with boxes and 575s ,94 .6 MPH @ Lake X
Plastered. came here @ 86 with 575s after boxes and some bottom work, 93+........
these are a few.

Boxes when correctly installed will help leverage the boat in rough conditions and allow you to run the extended tab. It will also have the drive back in cleaner water to make
the prop more efficient . Some bottom modifications may be need to change additude. You do need to keep after the driveshaft and bearing with grease every 50 Hours. To install correctly you will need to fill 4 inch part of the transom to raise the X and raise the motor 2 inches up and back to follow the degree of the transom. This will require new motors mounts relocated. The steering cylinders need to be relocated so fill those hole when filling in the X holes. You will need either a extended wing plate or extra long cylinders to make the steering connection also.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:27 AM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing that info Tres.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Registered

Jamie B.
Whom ever you get to install the extension boxes get them to give you a written guarantee that if it does not give you the increase they have stated that they will take them off with no charge to you.This will take all the quess work and B.S. promises out of it.

Advice from someone who has been down that road.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by TIGER-1
Jamie B.
Whom ever you get to install the extension boxes get them to give you a written guarantee that if it does not give you the increase they have stated that they will take them off with no charge to you.This will take all the quess work and B.S. promises out of it.

VERY GOOD IDEA !!!

I would also have a proposal in writing with a hard not to exceed cost number.
You should know in advance you will almost for sure reach that number.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:12 AM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TIGER-1
Jamie B.

Thanks Tiger, though its SKRAMER that is looking into adding these to his Cafe, not me. As an additional thought on that though, you would then still have to relower the X
Old 12-28-2004, 11:36 AM
Registered

There is only one boat that I know of that didnt take well to boxes, a 357 formula, but it did handle much better. every boat will except it differently. Weighing the boat for center of moment will help you decide the X,The speed you will get out of the boat will be determinded buy not only the box but the bottom changes, and a good prop designed to work for that application.As you know we try to get the most out of all the boat for handling and speed , you look numbers the drangon has produced.
Attached Thumbnails extension boxes-picture2002-237.jpg  
Old 12-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

thanks for the great info, Tres. we are fortunate to have you around this board!

chad

Quick Reply: extension boxes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.