Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dammmagnum
Mark,

The Sport is looking very good, Nice job on restoring it back to its glory days

Thank you
Jim
Thanks Jim.. Have you decided on a retirement boat yet ?? There is a nice Magnum Sedan in the OSO Swap Shop..
Old 02-09-2013, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 1,982 Likes on 785 Posts
Default Very Cool.

Originally Posted by mickeymcclgn
Twin o/b I can finally add some insight to this thread. I feel honored lol. A girl I used to date Afew years ago dad had a 24 sonic I/o with a built 496 and a Trs. It had a 454 Trs from the factory I'm guessing I never thought to ask him. We rode on it a fair bit that summer and after he learned I could be trusted I ran the boat pretty often once he kicked Afew back. It ran very well. Was heavy enough to cut the waves nice and handled like it was slightly larger. It even had the life line that ran up the bow. I think it was an 82-83 maybe? Don't hold me to that. I wish I had some pictures from that summer. I can get you some drive by pics of it but I don't think it's moved in 2 years. He had went through Afew motors for it in a short period of time. That summer with limited prop testing and roughly 525-550 hp it ran a best of 77 but he didn't have hydraulic steering yet and it was a handful. Sorry for the long winded response.
Due to size/weight I think they would make a better single than twin I/O boat. W/the right set up you could make one run good especially w/todays drive packages. All the I/O boats I've seen have been thrashed other than the twin mentioned above.
And yeah, would love to see any pix's you may have.
I missed a chance at a very rare Donzi like H2o's w/twin LT-1's and Duo Props yrs back. Still kick myself over that one as it was perfect as well.

Something Sexy, I did the same many yrs back. At the spring thaw party at the marina I'd just moved into w/my new to me 32' sedan cruiser, my older dock neighbor kept bringing over all his buds to meet me.
Kept introducing me as the guy that just got the divorce. When I asked him WTF? (in front of the 3rd or 4th friend he brought by) He apologized and then explained. Said that most of the young guys get the boat and bring the wife the first few times and then start bringing the secretary. The wife catches him and then the boat becomes hers. He said I was the first one he'd met that got the order right
They all loved me up there. Told him I tried my best to bring a different one each time. Always told the girls to bring the brightest bikini they owned. When we'd come/go at dock I always put them on the bow. Soon as I'd start my motors, all my neighbors brought their deck chairs out and sat on the back of their boats to watch

Some times in life you just have to ask, WTF.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by state1310
wife for AT ..... definately a good deal !!!!
I actually didn't want a divorce.....a horrible tragic accident would've worked out fine for me.....LOL
Old 02-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

[ Due to size/weight I think they would make a better single than twin I/O boat. W/the right set up you could make one run good especially w/todays drive packages. All the I/O boats I've seen have been thrashed other than the twin mentioned above.
And yeah, would love to see any pix's you may have.
I missed a chance at a very rare Donzi like H2o's w/twin LT-1's and Duo Props yrs back. Still kick myself over that one as it was perfect as well. ]

Twin O/B Sonic
When Donzi built these boats they built 4 models using the same hull, they are Doral, El Pescador, Spitfire, & Spirit. Bill [olredalert] here OSO has a El Pescador with twin Merc 350's & Alpha drives our two Donzi's ride totally different, my ride is not as good as his. I bought my Doral as a parts boat for my Sedan Mag, but after riding in Bill's I had to save her. Donzi tried a new way to build these hulls were the decks become became part of the hull integrity, like a unibody car with no frame. Bill's gas tank is in the bow, my Doral has the tank just in front of the engine bulkhead. My tank is set in the cockpit floor of the decks liner. It is part of the hulls integrity.. The gas tanks extra weight in the nose makes it ride so much better.
Is the Sonic built the same way were the stringers end at the engine bulkhead. Does it have that same unibody construction & where is your gas tank?? My Donzi was a race boat when it was new back in the day & ran around 55 mph. A friend had one back then with a single big block Trs & ran around 52mph. Bills runs about 65 mph with his twin engine package. With its rounded keel I dont think I would want to push it more than 70mph with big power, but that's just me.
Attached Thumbnails Post your Oldschool ride!-donzi-doral-11.jpg   Post your Oldschool ride!-donzi-elpescador%252024%2520specs.jpg   Post your Oldschool ride!-donzi-spitfirespecs.gif  

Post your Oldschool ride!-donzi-heat-wave-h2o-1.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by h2oboater; 02-09-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24 Sonic SE

The one I rode on was twin 260 mercruiser non counter rotating alpa drives, ran 63mph in Lake Erie slop. There was one other Sonic up there that was a single big block, not sure of the speed. The one I rode on was a 1978 model, JR Custom Marine, thru prop exhaust that the owner later converted to thru hull (long after I moved away), not sure of the speed after that. As I said, he completely redid the boat sometime in the early/mid 80's. He actually had ordered a new 33 Sonic right before he passed away.

And as most know, the 24' sonic was built on the Donzi hull.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Registered

Default Interesting....

Originally Posted by h2oboater
Donzi tried a new way to build these hulls were the decks become became part of the hull integrity, like a unibody car with no frame.

Is the Sonic built the same way were the stringers end at the engine bulkhead. Does it have that same unibody construction & where is your gas tank??

With its rounded keel I dont think I would want to push it more than 70mph with big power, but that's just me.
Yep. Mine is a full inner liner boat w/everything glued together. Stringers are glass box's which are part of the deck mold.
Clearly was designed to have an I/O screwed to them and yes they stop at a bulkhead forward of where the motor would be.
My gas tank runs from there to the cabin door.
I don't like the design for a true offshore sport/race boat as it forms a hinge for the hull at the fore and aft end's of the tank and bulkheads. Second bulkeahd is forward retaining wall of fuel tank and also forms the aft, cabin bulkhead. The floors on both of mine flexed and cracked at those points. I glued it down help tie it all together.

As far as elevated speeds on the round keel, if you get the boat to take a set and nothing changes, it's cake (w/the O/B's anyhow). If waves/wind/weight shifts it is the most difficult boat to drive that I've ever owned.
Personally, I like a boat that rewards driver input/attention but am sure most of the market does not. One of my cat owning friends was shocked at needed driver input after a ride. Could put tabs/trim down and run 60 w/no drama but to get the last 10 MPH's, you work.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 02-09-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Yep. Mine is a full inner liner boat w/everything glued together. Stringers are glass box's which are part of the deck mold.
Clearly was designed to have an I/O screwed to them and yes they stop at a bulkhead forward of where the motor would be.
My gas tank runs from there to the cabin door.
I don't like the design for a true offshore sport/race boat as it forms a hinge for the hull at the fore and aft end's of the tank and bulkheads. Second bulkeahd is forward retaining wall of fuel tank and also forms the aft, cabin bulkhead. The floors on both of mine flexed and cracked at those points. I glued it down help tie it all together.

As far as elevated speeds on the round keel, if you get the boat to take a set and nothing changes, it's cake (w/the O/B's anyhow). If waves/wind/weight shifts it is the most difficult boat to drive that I've ever owned.
Personally, I like a boat that rewards driver input/attention but am sure most of the market does not. One of my cat owning friends was shocked at needed driver input after a ride. Could put tabs/trim down and run 60 w/no drama but to get the last 10 MPH's, you work.
My Doral has old mechanical steering & no tabs, it can be a handful at times.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Registered

Default Yi.....................

my doral has old mechanical steering & no tabs, it can be a handful at times.
.....kies!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Jim.. Have you decided on a retirement boat yet ?? There is a nice Magnum Sedan in the OSO Swap Shop..
Mark

How much snow did you get
I saw that Magnum Sedan in the Swap Shop, itsbeen for sale for a while now, I think out of RI at one time
no boat yet but you will be the first to know when I get one

Enjoy the weekend
Thank you
Jim

Last edited by dammmagnum; 02-09-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by dammmagnum
Mark

How much snow did you get
I saw that Magnum Sedan in the Swap Shop, itsbeen for sale for a while now, I think out of RI at one time
no boat yet but you will be the first to know when I get one

Enjoy the weekend
Thank you
Jim
Not much Jim only about 6", we could have used that 2' to 3' that they got out east to bring the lakes up. I keep saying that if I had bought a Sedan as my first real offshore boat instead of a Klem Gem I would have never had the need to get anything else. Got to love that old STAGE COACH...

Quick Reply: Post your Oldschool ride!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.