Post your Oldschool ride!

Notices

Post your Oldschool ride!

Old 02-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts

Mark,

A quick question for ya, ....(post 1543 pg.155) there's a pic of your Mag 27 engine bay, are the stiffeners in the bilge floor from the factory?....just wondering if I should incorporate the same while I have the chance -or- is it merely for a race type setup? .........do you have any more pics that show a better angle...........Thanks
Old 02-10-2013, 01:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy
Mark,

A quick question for ya, ....(post 1543 pg.155) there's a pic of your Mag 27 engine bay, are the stiffeners in the bilge floor from the factory?....just wondering if I should incorporate the same while I have the chance -or- is it merely for a race type setup? .........do you have any more pics that show a better angle...........Thanks
I did it only because that's the way Emerald City Harbor did mine on the old race boat as it raced. I had some extra resin & glass so I just did it the same way. I don't plan to running my old Mag that hard that they would be needed, it lasted 39 years without them. I seen your glass work so it it would be easy for you to do. This is the only other pic I have of the floor bracing.
Attached Thumbnails Post your Oldschool ride!-mag-resto-fall-2011-001.jpg  
Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete,

Post some pics of your eng compartment either here or on your resto thread. I have not seen gussetts like the one pictured above. My main stringers look heavier also. I would run two additional stringers 1/2 way between the existing and the center. Mine is this way you just hve to make the new ones short so they dont come into play with your oil pans.
Here is a pic from my resto.

- M
Attached Thumbnails Post your Oldschool ride!-magresto.jan31-004.jpg  
Old 02-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by MDonziM
Pete,

Post some pics of your eng compartment either here or on your resto thread. I have not seen gussetts like the one pictured above. My main stringers look heavier also. I would run two additional stringers 1/2 way between the existing and the center. Mine is this way you just hve to make the new ones short so they dont come into play with your oil pans.
Here is a pic from my resto.

- M
My old Mirage that was built as a race boat back in 1976 had a X bracing and then some.
Attached Thumbnails Post your Oldschool ride!-mirage-p1010137.jpg   Post your Oldschool ride!-mirage-oldm-h2o.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Registered

I'm sure those x braces were strong, but they would trap water as you can see. Interesting knee braces on the center stringer too.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts

Mark,
that picture illustrates it very well .......thanks! -I'm definely going to do some form of stiffening in the engine bay because my boat seems to be like the "plain jane" in that area compared to other Mag 27's....i'm sure other's would disagree

Marshall,
Here's a pic of my engine bay right after I put the new transom in........I like the idea of a much smaller & beefier stringer that's left & right of the Keel stringer...hard to see, but are drain holes cutout in yours?
Attached Thumbnails Post your Oldschool ride!-img_7258.jpg  

Last edited by scippy; 02-10-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by MDonziM
I'm sure those x braces were strong, but they would trap water as you can see. Interesting knee braces on the center stringer too.
You are right about water being trapped, that's why I didn't go crazy with the bracing. I believe all Mirages came from the factory with race engine mounts & extra bracing like mine, some even had more.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
My old Mirage that was built as a race boat back in 1976 had a X bracing and then some.
gourges boat,thats some heavy duty engine compartment.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
Not much Jim only about 6", we could have used that 2' to 3' that they got out east to bring the lakes up. I keep saying that if I had bought a Sedan as my first real offshore boat instead of a Klem Gem I would have never had the need to get anything else. Got to love that old STAGE COACH...
Mark
Sorry about the snow amount, I know you really need the water there.. its starting to get a little dry out here also , very little rain last month and looks dry for this month also.

The very first Magnum that I looked at to buy back in 75 was a yellow Sedan up in North Jersey,, But we couldn't find the guy that owned it,, I then went for a ride in a H/M 302 Ford Black Sport near me and liked it and then decided to sell my Pantera car and buy a Sport,, made a deal with a guy in Maitland Fla for his Purple Sport(Sea Wraith) and then the rest is history as they say
Thank you
Jim
Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Registered

Pete,
Here is another pic where you can see the drain hole. They are just forward of the tabbing to the transom.
- Marshall
Attached Thumbnails Post your Oldschool ride!-mag%2520resto_jan23%2520001.jpg  

Quick Reply: Post your Oldschool ride!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.