Post your Oldschool ride!

Notices

Post your Oldschool ride!

Old 07-22-2014, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
WOW!! Love the pics!!

Where did you find that one? Looks like it's been stored in a climate controlled warehouse for 30 plus years!!
Found it in a place called marine city Michigan on Craigslist and brought her all the way back to southern Tennessee she needs a little tweeking like the pin stripes and stuff but I'm gonna make that this winters project! Thank you for the compliment!!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:57 PM
Registered

Ok, our turn. Hope this one fits in this thread :-)

1979 Formula 255 Liberator, twin 260 mercruiser (GM 350) I/O with Alpha Drives.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JPrusinows
Couldn't make it to the ol' school reunion this year due to a new project landing in my garage a couple of weeks ago!. Ran out of money and time, have a great weekend, please post lots of photos! Hope to see you all next year!

Jeff

New Money Pit!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]526259[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]526260[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]526261[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]526262[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]526267[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]526266[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]526265[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]526264[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]526263[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]526268[/ATTACH]
Jeff even though the weather did not cooperate everyone had a good time. The rain did not help with taking pic's, not many were taken. Nice hot rod !!! Mark
Old 08-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carcrazy167
Yes it is Barry's old boat, the first 30 foot Scarab he named WARCRY. I was always very impressed with his BIG race boat and when I heard he was going to sell that 37 Active Cat I went to look at it. Just didn't make sense for me as a family boat...and I already had this Scarab. So right about when the Cat was being sold off to the LOTO area, I asked Barry if it would be alright if I put the graphics on the scarab...since I thought the design was so amazing...and since the original piece of art was leaving the Bay Area. He liked the idea, so I went right back the same man who painted the Cat. Everything is identical minus the big eagle on the the deck.

Looks like you were involved with the second Warcry Scarab! Were you racing it with Barry? It had Arneson drives right? I was always curious to hear more about how that hull handled with the surface drives. I don't think I ever heard the exact details, but I believe that boat was damaged badly at some point. What happened?
If memory serves me, Warcry was first penned onto a 30' Larry Smith Scarab, P51. The boat belonged to Howard Cohen, rigged by Paul Abreu at PSA Marine in Alameda around 1982. It was a Production class boat with two 350 cu in Chevys turning Arnesons..... (a very squirrely boat!!!) Bob Howard, Paul Abreu and myself rebuilt and raced it in late 80's-early 90's. Barry was a friend of Paul and hung out at PSA quite a bit. At some point all of Barry's boats were named Warcry. Your Scarab, his 30' Warlock and finally the Active. A gentleman from Martinez did the graphics on the Active....maybe you remember his name...originally from New Zealand. Paul and I also raced a 25' Warlock Outboard Cat in the OPT series ...you guessed it...named Warcry.
P50 as I said was a very-very squirrely at top speed. with the plates up it was a chine-walkiing mutha. The motors were limited to stock cast-iron intakes and exhausts back in the day...which may have been a good thing. Bob Howard finally sold P50 to a developer in Marin. He rebuild the motors and fitted them with all the goodies they deserved....real intakes, offshore headers and a closed cooling systems. Unfortunately, I believe while returning from testing prior to a Benicia or Mare Island race, the boat spun...ejecting and killing one of the crew. I haven't heard of the boat since. I'd like to re-visit P50 someday....

Last edited by mikiedreb; 08-19-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikiedreb
If memory serves me, .... A gentleman from Martinez did the graphics on the Active....maybe you remember his name...originally from New Zealand. ....
Painted by one of the Bay Area's Kiwi Mafia, Craig Morrison. He's done dozens of boats out here on the West Coast including one of mine.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lofty
Painted by one of the Bay Area's Kiwi Mafia, Craig Morrison. He's done dozens of boats out here on the West Coast including one of mine.
..that man's got "skills" !!!!!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:34 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

1981 Pantera 24 SE

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528166[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528167[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Post your Oldschool ride!-cockpit_02.jpg   Post your Oldschool ride!-ondock_02.jpg  
Old 08-21-2014, 11:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mikiedreb
the boat spun...ejecting and killing one of the crew. I haven't heard of the boat since. I'd like to re-visit P50 someday....
The story I heard about the Warcry "Arneson/P50" Scarab (from Paul I believe) was that it actually sank too! I'm not really sure how accurate that was, but I know it was a tragic accidient.

I have a question for you about your profile photo: Where and when was that taken? I'm almost positive I've seen other photos from that exact event at some point, and my scarab (with its original red paint scheme) was tied up right next to that P50 Scarab you were racing. Right there in your profile photo; I think that's the bow of my boat poking out from behind your boat!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lofty
Painted by one of the Bay Area's Kiwi Mafia, Craig Morrison.
Lofty,

What did Craig paint for you? He's definitely a gifted artist, but the last time I spoke with him he said there hadn't been much new work to do. Too bad.

I saw you posted some photos of his old 35 Cigarette "Tropical Blend" a while back in this forum. Do you know if he ever finished that boat?
Old 08-21-2014, 11:28 PM
Registered

Not sure what happened to my pics,l

Last edited by Mc8541ss; 08-21-2014 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Post your Oldschool ride!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.