Post your Oldschool ride!

Notices

Post your Oldschool ride!

Old 05-16-2007, 12:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May not be offshore but she's oldschool. 74' sleek craft

I know go back to( scream and fly).
Attached Thumbnails Post your Oldschool ride!-pictures-paint-002.jpg   Post your Oldschool ride!-pictures-paint-001.jpg  
Old 05-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Registered

Re: Post #243 ...Here's a Newbie guess on the origins of this vessel ... I think it may be an "AERO" marine, flat deck Mag 27 flip. They were manufactured by Jim Klem (?) up north of Detriot durring the '80's. The second sticker from the rear of the engine hatch is ( if I'm not mistaken) a "Lake St Clair Offshore Association" and it's a Mich reg., so knowing that there were many Aero's in that group it may be possible. The boats themselves were inexpensive, but had numerous "issues".

Originally Posted by 24degrees
This is a 27 Sport .......right?

What was it called and what happend to it?
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Wavejumpr; 05-16-2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: try to add photo
Old 05-17-2007, 02:21 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Turns out it is a Mag.......a guy from Michigan knew the boat well.

Thanks for the reply though.....and welcome to OSO.....
Attached Thumbnails Post your Oldschool ride!-23%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 05-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default 72 Donzi

This the first HP boat i bought in 78 with 2 blown engs.When i got it together it would run 55mph with bottom paint.Called the davit man to put in a new set of davits,told him it was 23 Donzi,he said 6000lbers woud do it.The first time i hooked up they bent like mach sticks,then he calls Donzi and finds out the thing goes 8000lb,put in 10,000lbers and had no problem.
Attached Thumbnails Post your Oldschool ride!-donzi-001.jpg   Post your Oldschool ride!-donzi-002.jpg   Post your Oldschool ride!-donzi-003.jpg  

Old 05-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Registered

Thanks for the welcome ... !!! .... I attended at quite a few events in the late '70's and '80's (not to mention various shops), along the shore line of Lake St. Clair where the bulk of the entrants were building and using boats under 35 feet.

To me, this was grass-roots offshore at it's best. Real Boats, Real People working hard and smart with limited budgets and lots of sweat equity.

Not everyone that loves Offshore is rich, so this level seemed to have a focus on equipment preservation and maintainance that I respected and still influences my actions today.

Certainly, the 27 foot Mag (and clones) were among the most popular hulls. It seemed to me, that the ones with the big singles flew the best in heavy seas as their balance was superior to the twins that were much heavier at the transom and seemed to get out of shape a lot quicker when airborne.

After being launched by the "seventh wave", Gravity would pull the back end of a twin down, slap a wave that would kick it back up, just in time for forward momentum to stuff the bow into the next wave. Saw that happen lots. ... I still prefer that hull with a really big single. I built one with a blown 468 in '87 and in 4 foot ground swells I never met any one with twins that could fly as straight and level at high speed.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah.....I wish my Mag had a single........it'd be a lot easier to work on!!!.....

Check out the Magnum forum.....there's a thread on Lake St. Clair......lots of old race stuff look at.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having started off with my 25 Magnum and twin V-8's and converting to a large single the year after, I can attest to the fact there is no comparison. Ass end floats 4" higher, better acceleration, supperior handling around the dock or other tight areas, far more stable in heavy seas, and the list goes on and on. Oh, and atleast 10 MPH faster and less fuel/hour of running time.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnuts
Having started off with my 25 Magnum and twin V-8's and converting to a large single the year after, I can attest to the fact there is no comparison. Ass end floats 4" higher, better acceleration, supperior handling around the dock or other tight areas, far more stable in heavy seas, and the list goes on and on. Oh, and atleast 10 MPH faster and less fuel/hour of running time.
the 25 was originally an imp.not an d.a. built boat. when imp bought magnum they put the magnum name on it.[apeco]..if i remember correctly being i was hit on the head.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 697 Likes on 280 Posts

So who designed the 25 .What is the beam of your magnum boatnuts?.I have heard this is the origin of the pantera ,excalibur.carrera,pd,etc,etc design. Is that true?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:36 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

tommy, this is from brownie...

"The heritage of the Excalibur/P&D/Superboat/ad infinitum is important. When Bob Magoon, who used to ride with Don Aronow, wanted to go racing on his own, Aronow hired Harry Schoell to build a 23' copy of the very successful 28' Magnum (also designed and built by Harry). Harry built the first-ever Formica mold, skipping the "plug" portion of the molding process. It was built as a twin engined outboard offshore boat. It ran extremely well for its size. Who knew that it end up as the most copied hull ever?"

Quick Reply: Post your Oldschool ride!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.