What happened to all the TIN boats?? >

What happened to all the TIN boats??

Notices

What happened to all the TIN boats??

Old 02-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, those are great!

I've noticed that certain boats have a welded on aluminum "extension box" on the transom (seems to be the boats with the #3 and #5 drives? such as Dino Bianchi and Rothmans) while Thuraya, Smania and the Piccihiottis don't have the transom box (and then there are the external steer boats like Force One and Hurricane).

Also, the Russian Paketa (pictured previously) appears to be a CUV hull with a different cockpit enclosure and the winglets on the sides of the hull that extend past the transom also appear to be removed. Is that accurate?

And they say there's no such thing as love at first sight! If I ever happen to meet Adriano Panatta I'm going to have to thank him for racing Thuraya last year. I never would have heard of these boats otherwise.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Registered

there is no two identical built CUV during the year, they are either factory modified or "by the team" modified.
The Thuraya boat have a notched bottom and no "extension box", the CUV with #3 in the first year dont have the extension but later with #5 and higher X dimension the extension was added
Old 02-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet!
Man, those are great!

I've noticed that certain boats have a welded on aluminum "extension box" on the transom (seems to be the boats with the #3 and #5 drives? such as Dino Bianchi and Rothmans) while Thuraya, Smania and the Piccihiottis don't have the transom box (and then there are the external steer boats like Force One and Hurricane).

Also, the Russian Paketa (pictured previously) appears to be a CUV hull with a different cockpit enclosure and the winglets on the sides of the hull that extend past the transom also appear to be removed. Is that accurate?

And they say there's no such thing as love at first sight! If I ever happen to meet Adriano Panatta I'm going to have to thank him for racing Thuraya last year. I never would have heard of these boats otherwise.
Sean,you are right about the transom boxes in some CUV mono.It happened after the World Finals in Key West 1981 when the three Italian teams,Smania,Della Valle and Piras with the 38' saw the unusual stern of the new Toleman's Cougar tin mono like show in the picture below.
About the others 38' they had different type of mechanism that went out from the stern like surface and steering drive units.
About the Italian Raketa(the name was the sponsor of the Russians watches imported in Italy at the end of the eighties) and drove by Floriani and Lippi wasn't a CUV but a prototype designed by Bacigalupi and builded by Codecasa shipyard of Viareggio. It came from the classic Shead mono design but enlarged in the beam(from a beam of 8'/8'20" to 10'17") and with a tunnel starting from about middle boat lenght toward the aft. The cockpit was divided in two parts like in the catamarans (each one for the two semi-sponsons) to improve the transversal balance.It was an atypical and really inefficient kind of trimaran.

Marco
Attached Thumbnails What happened to all the TIN boats??-keywest81monotoleman.jpg   What happened to all the TIN boats??-raketa88.jpg  
Old 02-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Registered

Thanks guys. Trying to educate myself on CUV and you each have been very helpful.

I didn't notice th cut-out in the earlier photo. Bizzare!

So is the white boat with the checkered flag stern (from 2003) the same boat as the black and yellow ForceOne 41'(?) that was racing last year?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Registered

The yellow CUV used in 2006 by Renato Guidi was the black and white checkered flag used the previous year (41ft , Isotta Frashini Diesel engines , 6 man bolster) , the same team also own another 41ft used in 2004 with red and black checkered flag and 3 man bolster. the surface drive systems are different on the two boats.
patrick
Old 02-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Registered

By the chronicle there were not only CUV mono 38' or 41' but some 40' like the Casiraghi's Sun International-then Polli's SDA and the Damiano Spelta's Parfum Trussardi. Then there was a 46' designed by Abbate but builded by CUV for Tullio Abbate himself.
There were CUV powered by a couple of gasoline engines of MerCruiser,Marathon,or Lamborghini(2 or 3 engines),or a couple or triple diesel engines of Isotta Fraschini.
Then came the cats designed by Michael Peters but it's another story.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Marco they are wonderful pictures. More please!!
Old 02-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

I will have to send those pics to Davey Wilson!!
Old 02-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Registered

You'd think with so few boats and so many variables it would be easy to figure out which boats were which! Thanks again guys.

Another question, how does the construction on the aluminum Cougars compare to the CUV's construction?
Old 02-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet!
You'd think with so few boats and so many variables it would be easy to figure out which boats were which! Thanks again guys.

Another question, how does the construction on the aluminum Cougars compare to the CUV's construction?
Sean,the first Toleman's Cougar mono was nearly a Shead/CUV design,but the successive 40' of Albert Ehrich or Bottanelli and the Superboats of George Morales was totally differents.
If you talk about the quality it's difficult to say because Cougar didn't really compete with mono apart the US Superboats(where the CUV didn't race). However the experience with Toleman's mono was brief and inconclusive.

Nigel and Sean,I will continue to post the CUV mono history
when I have more time to do it.

Last edited by Black Tornado; 02-21-2007 at 05:33 PM.

Quick Reply: What happened to all the TIN boats??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.