Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
What happened to all the TIN boats?? >

What happened to all the TIN boats??

Notices

What happened to all the TIN boats??

Old 02-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marco, thank you please do post as you get the chance. This is all very interesting and enjoyable.

With respect to the Cougar mono-hulls, I was thinking of the big US superboats (Maggies Merc, etc.) and wasn't really thinking of a comparison of perfomance (because they are very different boats) rather just the quality of the construction. The CUV appears to be bullet proof, I wondered whether the Cougars were of a similar build quality?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 375 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Definitly a Maritime, when I was a test driver for Mercury in Sarasota Fla. 1967 we had one as an endurance boat, we ran it with a 225 Mercruiser small block chevy I think was 283 cu.in. with the old number two drive that used to swivel all the way around out of the water, One of the coolest boats of the time, similar boat was a formula Jr. same size almost looked the same, I have a lot of great memories driving them, wish I could find them again, could be great project boats. One of my first race boats was a 21` Seacraft with twin 110 hp outboards factory Mercury boat, My first race was 50 miles long in St Pete. My second race was 582 Miles Bahama 500 one stop for fuel, same boat 21` Seacraft from over 70 boats that started I finished eigth overall, first outboard the first day. Since so many boats got lost or broke down, they made it a two day race so that everyone could get a finish. So 19` to 20` boats were raced, and not like races of today. we ran the same course as everyone else, usually over 150 mile course. I was scared the first time I ran my Seacraft through the Kilo at lake X at 48 miles per hour, white Knuckled. That was the start of it all for me, rest is as they say history. 7XCHAMP
Years ago I had a 1968 21 foot Maritime. The Marina I bought it from had picked it up somewhere, filled in the transom cutout and installed a slant 6 and a chryslet out drive in it. They claimed it was an x race boat that was outboard powered and raced frm Florida to the Bahamas. As it still had a ballest tank in the bow I tended to belive them. While it was not fast, with the power they had in it, I have never been on a 21 footer that would take rough Lake Erie water like that maritime.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:25 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet!
You'd think with so few boats and so many variables it would be easy to figure out which boats were which! Thanks again guys.

Another question, how does the construction on the aluminum Cougars compare to the CUV's construction?
The Cougar aluminum monos were stout hulls indeed. The Popeyes hull (ex Morales) that went from Miami to NY certainly gave testimony to its durability. There were, in fact, a couple of monohull CUVs that raced in the states periodically (Billy Martin throttled one in Michigan in the mid 80's). They also were very strong in big seas.The Cougars were somewhat bigger and used triple engines versus twins for the CUV's, therefore an apples to apples performance comparison is not easy...but both designs seemed very at home in BIG Seas.

T2x
Old 02-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Continuing the brief history of CUV 38'
In their first season(1977) the boats was quite competitives but the old Cigarette 36' of De Angelis and the Doxford's Cigarette 35' Limit Up ruled the European Championships.
Hovewer at the first World Championships runned in a single race at Key West,Niccolai took an important 3rd place.
In the first image the Alitalia Uno of Cosentino at the Viareggio-Bastia-Viareggio. In the second picture again Cosentino in action rough seas. Third and last image:Niccolai take a third place in Key West.
Attached Thumbnails What happened to all the TIN boats??-vbv77alituno.jpg   What happened to all the TIN boats??-alitaliauno77.jpg   What happened to all the TIN boats??-keywest77.jpg  

Last edited by Black Tornado; 02-22-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Registered

In the 1978,the former opposing Giulio De Angelis replaced in the Team Alitalia Guido Niccolai that with him 38' formed a new team in Picchiotti with the returning sponsor Martini.
The new 38'(the third builded by CUV) 400kg lightened was ready only in november just in time to be sent in Argentina for the 1978's World Championships.
Meanwhile De Angelis and Cosentino drove alternating the CUV 38' and the old Cigarette 36' during the European season
The boats had a new bigger windshield.
The European season and the World Title gone to Cosentino and Niccolai with the other 38' won in the Viareggio-Bastia-Viareggio setting a new speed record ,but was absent in Argentina.
First pic: Cosentino at Santa Margherita race 1978(2nd place behind De Angelis).
2nd pic: The Picchiotti(CUV)38' Dry Martini 2 of Guido Niccolai winner at Viareggio in 1978.
3rd pic: A rare image of the new Alitalia Tre of De Angelis at Mar Del Plata World Championships. De Angelis loose the route and was a missing for hours.
Attached Thumbnails What happened to all the TIN boats??-smargherita78.jpg   What happened to all the TIN boats??-dry78.jpg   What happened to all the TIN boats??-mardelplata78.jpg  

Last edited by Black Tornado; 02-22-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Registered

Altalia Due became the Rothmans boat of Della Valle is that right? Are the Merc powered Rothmans boat and the similarly painted Lambo powered Chesterfield boat the same hull?

Marco, you though that Samania's Rombo was sunk as I recall. Was that hull recovered?

Any guess what a race ready 38' CUV weighs (sans fuel)?

What kind of top speed would a CUV see with the 650 Merc/Chevys in it?

As always thank you guys. This is a very enjoyable education.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet!
Altalia Due became the Rothmans boat of Della Valle is that right? Are the Merc powered Rothmans boat and the similarly painted Lambo powered Chesterfield boat the same hull?

Marco, you though that Samania's Rombo was sunk as I recall. Was that hull recovered?

Any guess what a race ready 38' CUV weighs (sans fuel)?

What kind of top speed would a CUV see with the 650 Merc/Chevys in it?

As always thank you guys. This is a very enjoyable education.

Sean,you are right,Alitalia Due/Dry Martini 2 became the first 38' Ego of Della Valle in 1981. The Ego-Rothmans then Ego-Cinzano was powered with MerC or Marathon,and finally with the Lambo in 1984. The Chesterfield-Missoni was powered with diesel engines Isotta-Fraschini and didn't was the same hull of the Della Valle's 38'.
About the 38' of Smania when it sunk was not named Rombo but I didn't remember the new sponsor. It sunk in the Adriatic sea in very deep water. I think that it's still there.
About the weight I don't know how but I can find the data somewhere.
About the speed the CUV mono reached the top speed with the 40' powered Lambo(SDA) and....diesel I.F. with surface drives(damiano Spelta's San Benedetto) around 100 mph. With the old classic V8 the top speed I remember was around 90 mph.
Marco
Old 02-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Registered

I found the weights of the CUV mono (approximates):
-first two 38' = 3600kg hulls - rigged+2Mercruiser 482 = 4800kg + 1200lt of fuel for a 200miles race
-lightened 38' = 3200kg hulls - rigged+2Lamborghini L.800 = 4300kg + 1400lt of fuel for a 200miles race
-rigged+2ProcarBPMturbo = 4250kg
-40' = 3400kg hulls - rigged+2Lambo L.800 = 4500kg + 1400lt of fuel for a 200miles race
-41' = 3500kg hulls - rigged+3Lambo L.509B = 4500kg
-41' rigged+2Isotta Fraschini 1306HTI = 5100kg + 1000lt of fuel for a 200miles race
Old 02-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

The year 1975, BZ-II 30' Maritime Hull powered by Three 150 Chrysler racing outboards. With dry exhaust it sounded like Swarm of Bee's . Raced in the Great Lakes region.
Attached Thumbnails What happened to all the TIN boats??-scan0208.jpg  
Old 02-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Registered

Marco, that's great info. Where do you come up with this stuff!?

So, seems like Thuraya may actually be a 40' not a 41' (if it was Rainbow/SDA?) based on the rigging descriptions above. I guess it's probably somewhat clouded by the fact that the lengths are likely metric rather than SAE measurements anyhow.

So, there were probably 4 38' CUVs, plus two Picchiottis between 1977 and 1982 is that a fair guess. Then a couple of 40's and a couple of 41's? I've been reading Searace and comparing photos in this thread and trying to work out which boats are the same boats with different livery and which boats are completely different boats...

Someone also told me today that he'd seen a CUV down in San Diego. Anyone know anything about that boat?

Quick Reply: What happened to all the TIN boats??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.