Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
What happened to all the TIN boats?? >

What happened to all the TIN boats??

Notices

What happened to all the TIN boats??

Old 02-27-2007, 02:22 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sean,the info came from my archives and the book of Mario Risi "Questo e' l'Offshore"(That's the Offshore).
If Thuraya is the former Sun International-Raimbow-SDA-Cigna like it seem is a 40'.
About the measurements of the boats it's a jungle area,because once upon a time I trying to take the measurements of the boats in Viareggio's paddocks in a edition of VBV race,but very little of them had the lenghts corresponding that officials....
About the lists of several CUV I will post them in next posts,when I will have repaired my near to dead computer.

The CUV of San Diego I think is the only mono that race in USA with Americans drivers: The former Caliente posted somewhere in this thread.
Marco
Old 02-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marco, thanks for that. Funny, it seems like this thread is generally me you and Patrick talking back and forth...

I spoke with the current owner of the former Caliente recently. His history with that boat is inconsistent with it being in San Diego recently. That said, the person who told me they saw a CUV in San Diego could have confused the time frame (a couple of years ago could have been 15 years ago?) and also could have confused a Cougar or some other alloy hull with a CUV as well.

That said, Searace indicates that Davey Wilson drove "a 38' Italian aluminum deep V" to third place in the 1983 Detroit Race(Detroit River & Lake St. Clair). It doesn't say what marque the boat was, but indicates the name/sponsor was "Ittios, Inc." Maybe that boat was the Bandit/Caliente or another boat that was left here? (I thought that there was some indication that there could have been another CUV left in the US and there was some comment that Billy Martin throttled or dove one at some point).

H2OBoater knows or has photos maybe?
Old 02-28-2007, 03:08 AM
Registered

According on the Graham's races library on Boatmad that Wilson's boat was a Picchiotti ,former Cray Energy.
Antonello Piras drove the former Alitalia Uno,the first 38' builded by CUV under the shipyards Picchiotti,named Cray Energy in Key West World Championships in 1981. I was in the team that years and I remember that the boat stay in USA for several time after the race(because Piras didn't pay the rigged in USA) and Piras raced with the 35' in the next season in 1982. But that boat came back in Italy some year after.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

I was waiting for Patrick to post this pic but he hasn´t done so yet - hope you don´t mind Patrick - but I want others to see it!!
Attached Thumbnails What happened to all the TIN boats??-cuv8-small.jpg  
Old 03-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
The year 1975, BZ-II 30' Maritime Hull powered by Three 150 Chrysler racing outboards. With dry exhaust it sounded like Swarm of Bee's . Raced in the Great Lakes region.
The BZ-II was owned and raced by Bob Zieger of Cleveland, ohio back in the 70's w/ GLOPRA. Before my time but heard it was a sight to see and hear.

As for the Maritime hulls. A friend of the family (Bob Timme) and both my parents raced a 28' Maritime named Golden Eagle then renamed Trash Can when Bob stretched it to 32'. The last resore of the boat added a fixed surface drive system in the late eighties. My step-dad throttled it and it was a screamer. The boat sank in Grand Haven, Michigan and scrapped due to the savage tearing her up. I'll try to find some photos.

My uncle, step dad and I have been racing our 40' Caricoff (aluminum) for many years the hull is a 1973 and still runs pretty strong in the rough stuff.

Andy Bloom
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CIG3
The BZ-II was owned and raced by Bob Zieger of Cleveland, ohio back in the 70's w/ GLOPRA. Before my time but heard it was a sight to see and hear.

As for the Maritime hulls. A friend of the family (Bob Timme) and both my parents raced a 28' Maritime named Golden Eagle then renamed Trash Can when Bob stretched it to 32'. The last resore of the boat added a fixed surface drive system in the late eighties. My step-dad throttled it and it was a screamer. The boat sank in Grand Haven, Michigan and scrapped due to the savage tearing her up. I'll try to find some photos.

My uncle, step dad and I have been racing our 40' Caricoff (aluminum) for many years the hull is a 1973 and still runs pretty strong in the rough stuff.

Andy Bloom
Andy you and Dave had that boat rocking the last time you raced on Lake Erie. And BZ-II you had to see and hear it !!!
Your old Silver Cup Referee,,, Mark
Old 03-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Registered

I have done extensive work on a 38' cougar cat in installing T58 turbine motors. I will tell you first hand the craftmanship in these boats is impressive. The man hours to build one must have been staggering
Old 03-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Registered

Thanks to post it Nigel,
I hope this boat will find a good home in the US
Patrick
Old 03-15-2007, 02:32 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Not a good pic but you get the idea.

The MTI´s and Tencara¨s etc may be faster, but there´s something about those Cougar 38´s that is unbeatable in the looks department. A classic if ever there was.........
Attached Thumbnails What happened to all the TIN boats??-still-crazy.jpg  
Old 03-15-2007, 03:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by littlenige
Not a good pic but you get the idea.

The MTI´s and Tencara¨s etc may be faster, but there´s something about those Cougar 38´s that is unbeatable in the looks department. A classic if ever there was.........
When we speak about cats we must speak above all about Cougar.

Quick Reply: What happened to all the TIN boats??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.