Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
What happened to all the TIN boats?? >

What happened to all the TIN boats??

Notices

What happened to all the TIN boats??

Old 02-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And don't forget you have to add in buying a semi to haul the thing... Still $60k pretty cool. It's like buying a company though, you pay $X cash, but the real cost is in the assumed liabilities!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Registered

someone on here has to know more about this boat when it had power. why was the power removed from it? anyone ever see this boat run in the ocean . supposedly it sold for 156k a few years ago with power but thats what another forum posting says. i think 60k is to much for it in this market. if the owner lowered his reserve then i would consider it for sure since similar ones sold for 80-85k with power.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Registered

Anybody know what one of these things sold for new? Just curious. I can't imagine what one would cost to build in today's dollars...
Old 02-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

The Endangered Species sold for the price of the two engines, the hull and drives were free. This cat ran great, and it's been a fresh water L.S.C boat for years. When Joe Mach raced the twin engine CUV that boat rocked, with it's K E power and Merc #6 drives he was always the cat to beat. But In this market it's tuff to sell any boats like this.
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2009, 10:16 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old Joe Mach's Cougar ( then Red White & Blue) was a 38' boat and went on to win the "open Class" championship in 1996. Boat was run under the name "Riveted" with KE 900's - this is NOT the same boat as this thread started with. The Riveted 38 also had Arnesons and ran well with this power combination. A casual inspection for corrosion is all that is required for these baots. Rumors about rivetes popping out all the time are not true, the baots are a great value at the prices listed and unlike a glass boat that will eventutually have "0" value and in fact will have to pay for disposal, the aluminum boat will alsway be worth its weight in scrap, so a heavy boat 10 years from now, is to your advantage - Call Errol Lanier in Diana Florida if you have questions about tin boats -
Old 02-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Registered

Man, that's a good point about the scrap... but hopefully it doesn't come to that. These boats are too cool to loose!

I'm glad you mentioned the hull maintenance... I was, in part, scared off a CUV 38 Vhull due to horror stories I'd heard about having to replace rivets all the time.

Seems to me that it's going to take a couple thousand HP (give or take) to move this boat on the water and it's going to take a semi tractor to move it on land. The care and feeding of thousands isn't really what I'd call "blue collar priced", nor is transporting, storing or launching a boat this size.

Any potential purchases are going to have to have Big Cash to actually run and maintain this boat in a sustainable way. As such, I'm guessing that the $50k-$60k buy in on the hull isn't really the deciding factor on selling this thing. It's going to have to wait for the right combination of passion for this type of boat and cash flow to find it's way back on the water.

C'mon powerball!
Old 02-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
The Endangered Species sold for the price of the two engines, the hull and drives were free. This cat ran great, and it's been a fresh water L.S.C boat for years. When Joe Mach raced the twin engine CUV that boat rocked, with it's K E power and Merc #6 drives he was always the cat to beat. But In this market it's tuff to sell any boats like this.
The BEST DEAL EVER! The word is the new owner is keeping it at Emerald City and plans to run it on the lake this summer. I hope to see it offen, I had many, many fun memories of days on that boat.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude Sweet

The boat & engines will have a weight of approx 12,500 lbs, not any heavy that a 382 Formula !, the issue for towing is the wide load, and pick up truck can tow the boat ( on a different trailer). The aluminum is very low maintenance, bump into something and a hammer will fix it. every one wants to go 100+ and for that you will need 750 Hp
Old 02-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by James
Dude Sweet

The boat & engines will have a weight of approx 12,500 lbs, not any heavy that a 382 Formula !, the issue for towing is the wide load, and pick up truck can tow the boat ( on a different trailer). The aluminum is very low maintenance, bump into something and a hammer will fix it. every one wants to go 100+ and for that you will need 750 Hp
It actually is a tilt trailer,,,so no wideload permit needet !!! And a 450 will pull it easy.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Registered

You guys are weapons-grade, bad influences. I tip my cap, I'm in the presence of masters!

Quick Reply: What happened to all the TIN boats??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.