Notices

magnum starfire

Old 10-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default magnum starfire

In the early 70's as a kid in Greece NY, there was a red and white 27 Magnum with race #s I believe a "p" boat, with chicken bars and Starfire lettering on the side. Anyone know the history of this boat and if its still around?

Also I see on the HOBRA site in the production class a boat named Galleon. Im not sure if my memory is serving me right, but it seems that in the 80's that there was an article in "Boating" magazine about a race boat that had been scuttled in Florida after some questionable operations, and had taken by the currents and was found months later floating capsized in the British isles. Was it that boat? The article had pics of the barnacle encrusted boat on display at a wharf. Anyone else remember seeing the article?
Old 10-13-2006, 05:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Default Re: magnum starfire

The Galleon boat was owned by John (bubba) Carbonell , It was also called Installers.

Mike
Old 10-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that Starfire was that come in Italy in the middle of seventies and renamed El Diablo...I think.
Tomorrow I will post some pics of that.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 242 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mark30h
Also I see on the HOBRA site in the production class a boat named Galleon. Im not sure if my memory is serving me right, but it seems that in the 80's that there was an article in "Boating" magazine about a race boat that had been scuttled in Florida after some questionable operations, and had taken by the currents and was found months later floating capsized in the British isles. Was it that boat? The article had pics of the barnacle encrusted boat on display at a wharf. Anyone else remember seeing the article?

That boat was owned by John Carbonell and sold. the new owners were the ones that scuttled it and yes, it caught a ride upside down to the British Isles via the Gulf Stream.

The article shows the boat encrusted with barnacles. We have the story and photos in the HORBA files, all I have to do is find it and I will post it.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the Starfire II,Magnum 27' with a pair of Chevy with wich Marty Kings won the Modified IV Class APBA Title in 1976.

On the wave of this success Magnum wonted to promote his 27' Sport boats all over the World.
In Italy at the Genoa Boat Show was showed a 27' named just Starfire and with coloured stripes along the boat.
I think that this boat was bought by the former offshore driver Ronny Bonelli that hold it in Viareggio,in according what said me a lot of time ago one of Bonelli's crew, and renamed El Diablo or something like that.

Mark30h,I don't know if you tell about thats.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Registered

thanks all.

The M-57 is the boat that I saw years ago, and remember that the throttles were mounted on top of the chicken bars. Im not sure what it was doing in upstate NY at the time, but it was parked on the trailer for a couple of weeks behind the Char-Broil restaurant on Lake Ontario outside of Rochester. As my memory continues, somewhere I have an old Magnum brochure from that era, that I picked up at the factory during a visit to thunderboat alley in 79, and I think its also that same boat that is pictured.

Looking forward to seeing the article on Galleon. The long trek that boat took across the Atlantic was pretty amaxing in itself.

Thanks again
Old 10-14-2006, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 960 Likes on 393 Posts

Yea i used to have that brochure also ,was a great picture, if i could only find it.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go to the Magnum web site and you can find out more on old Magnums.I Visited Magnum last week,only plant still left on Thunderboat row,and actually saw the new 27 they are retro fitting a new deck and it will carry two small blocks.It will look very Euro but you will know it is a Magnum. Bud
Old 10-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,152 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by mr vinyl
Go to the Magnum web site and you can find out more on old Magnums.I Visited Magnum last week,only plant still left on Thunderboat row,and actually saw the new 27 they are retro fitting a new deck and it will carry two small blocks.It will look very Euro but you will know it is a Magnum. Bud
Pics!! Never ridden in a magnum boat just got back from a ride in the avanti in a good slop and it rode NICE!! The magnum and the avanti are same thing only different.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,152 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Hauling Trash
The Galleon boat was owned by John (bubba) Carbonell , It was also called Installers.

Mike
(Spanky)

Quick Reply: magnum starfire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.