Notices

Dry Martini!!!! AWESOME!!!

Old 11-15-2006, 03:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dry Martini!!!! AWESOME!!!

Originally Posted by Black Tornado
Hi Joern,
I don't absolutely doubt this' that Powers says. He was there!
On the fact that also the Aeromarine III was "heavy" I am instead more' doubtful because' Magoon to that time was the official driver of Kiekhaefer like Bonomi and the his 36' Aeromarines were around the best.
I believe that Magoon switched from the Aeromarine I the to the proper III for this.
Rather nobody knows about the existence of an Aeromarine II?
Marco,
You misunderstood this one.We bought the Aero 3 in favour of the Dry Martini because Aero 3 was supposely lighter and faster. And yes I also think Magoon picked the best boat and rigging, serving as a test boat for Kiekhaefer for the first fuel injection engines as Richie describes above.

I asked the same question to Richie regarding Aeromarine 2, he claims it never existed.

Reg Joern
Old 11-15-2006, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 36widebody
Marco,
You misunderstood this one.We bought the Aero 3 in favour of the Dry Martini because Aero 3 was supposely lighter and faster. And yes I also think Magoon picked the best boat and rigging, serving as a test boat for Kiekhaefer for the first fuel injection engines as Richie describes above.

I asked the same question to Richie regarding Aeromarine 2, he claims it never existed.

Reg Joern
Sorry Joern! My bad English!
Then that english Dry Martini was the first 36' of Bonomi. Former Aeromarine IX in 1972.
But the Yellowdrama II/Crown of Crucis/Colt Sapporo was the 36' lighter of 1973.
Who was the actual Dry Martini with a cabin and a pleasure deck solding in England now?
And where is the former Yellowdrama II/Crown of.......?

Last edited by Black Tornado; 11-15-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Registered

Guys, I was in the Dry Martini, the last time it has ever raced. And probably the only time it has had the original stack fuel injector setup. I think it was the 2004 race in Jersey. It was raced before that in 2003 but not with the original injector setup. Kurt has not raced it since. This is a truly AWESOME boat. It flys like an eagle and lands great...there are pic's of this race and we are 7- 10' out of the water. I can not post the pic's ..but there out there. I was the navigator and feel privileged to be one of the last people to have been in this boat in a real offshore race, as I don't think Kurt will really run this boat in a race anymore. The original drives were taken off the boat for this race as there is no way to get replacemant parts for them...this turned out to be a problem as to gettting the boat on plain...this was not tested before the race.
I could write a whole "blog" about the race in this boat...but I'm sure everybody has a story to tell about every race..lol
Old 11-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I think this is the photo your looking for. OPA - Point Pleasant about 2003.
Attached Thumbnails Dry Martini!!!! AWESOME!!!-martini-fly.jpg  
Old 11-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Registered

Yeah, thats the pic. Great shot of the boat. The original Kiekhaefer drives were taken off the boat (which are blue by the way) and if i recall #3's were put on. We had trouble getting out of the hole with those..but once we were up..she flew.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Registered

Update of the KAM engine rebuild.
http://www.kurtsmarine.com/restoration.html
I was at Kurt's today and they are hard at work rebuilding these engines. I wasn't expecting to see this much progress on the engines. They have quite a bit done already and the blocks will be getting machined shortly.

Check their site regularly as I will be updating the page frequently as well as a projects page in the works to give you an insight into some of the projects going on.

One of those projects being a 27' Formula pleasure boat that Kurt is restoring right now.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW.........That all i can say about all this history.

Mike
Old 03-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by captnate
Rogers Engine 239-597-3599, I'm getting Roger to let me scan some of his pics, he has boxes full of old races and race boats I have 20 or 30 vhs tapes of races that he let me borrow, I love to listen to all the stories he has, of the days of racing.Call Me 239-465-9639
Nate,

Did you ever return them?

Jeff
Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone have the black squadron cig named dry martini? what happened to it?