Dry Martini!!!! AWESOME!!!

Notices

Dry Martini!!!! AWESOME!!!

Old 10-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dry Martini!!!! AWESOME!!!

I have an early draft in PDF format that I can email to you. Just PM me with your email address. Its too big to post here.

Just don't mind the photo captions, they weren't done in this early version.

Glad you liked it. It's nice to know people actually read the words between the photos.

Ron
Old 10-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ron - thanks again for the copy!! (got it this Sat.) Great article!
Old 10-30-2006, 05:20 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

That boat is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. Shouldn´t be allowed!!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Trivia: The boat in the background in post #47 bottom picture "Mollywood" was a 38 Cobra. Rocky Aoki "Benihana", leased this boat for a race in San Francisco, broke the boat in half (similar to "Buckshot's" accident) and broke his leg-this was Rocky' last race.....
Old 10-30-2006, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Geoghegan
Trivia: The boat in the background in post #47 bottom picture "Mollywood" was a 38 Cobra. Rocky Aoki "Benihana", leased this boat for a race in San Francisco, broke the boat in half (similar to "Buckshot's" accident) and broke his leg-this was Rocky' last race.....
You are right Robert!
Then Rocky came back in Offshore three years after and...won. With Howard Quam in the Active 37' cat Flap Jack,renamed Benihana. The race;Benihana Grand Prix of course!
Only two months after that victory,Aoki and Quam crushed their cat and Rocky was re-badly injuried in the legs and ankle!

Was Really that Mollewood the former broke boat?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks Robert for the info - saved me asking the question!
Old 10-30-2006, 11:47 AM
skrap
Gold Member

Ron,

Great article on Dry Martini! Just a little note about the date of the photograph. It could not have been taken in 1973 as shown on this site or 1972 as printed in you article. First, in 1973 the Point Pleasant race was the Hennessy Grand Prix, not the Benihana Grand Prix and the boats were docked at the Kings Grant Inn not the Shrimp Box(which is still there today). Second, Jerry Dehenau's "Mollewood" wasn't built in 1973. Third, Wille Diaz's "EL Boss" wasn't in the '73 race. You can also see the bow of Betty Cook's "Kaama" with "US-1" on the side which would probably put the photo in 1980 because she was the 1979 US champion. If it were 1973 "US-1" would be on the side of Dr. Bob Magoon's Kiekhaefer Aeromarine. The 1980 Benihana Grand Prix was a fantastic race with Bill Elswick, Dan Broadwater, and George Gowan in "Long Shot" a 39 foot Cigarette beating out Vince Fasano and Sammy James in "Vincentive" a 38 foot Bertram. Fasano and James were accessed a three minute penalty for running through a spectator fleet. I am a plethora of useless information on offshore power boat racing and finally have an outlet. I have saved everything from 25 years ago and as soon as I figure out how, I will share it all with the OSO community. Keep up the good work. I love Extreme Boats magazine and Offshore Only.

Sincerely,

John
Old 10-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Skrap,
Welcome to the board. In post 27 Ron acknowledges there was a mistake ie; the date on the photo. I think the photo was from 79/80? Looking forward to seeing some of your material on this forum!!
Would you happen to be the "Crazy Greek"??

Last edited by Fast Shafts; 10-30-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That picture I think was taken in 1979 because Betty Cook was National champ the first time in 1978. Then there is the Cobra 38' Mollewood that after was semi-destroyed during tests before the San Francisco in september,like Robert have rembered to us.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:02 PM
skrap
Gold Member

Sorry, I'm not the "Crazy Greek." Just like in college, I didn't read too much, I just looked at the pictures. Again, keep up the good work and I look forward to more "Old School."

Sincerely,

John

Quick Reply: Dry Martini!!!! AWESOME!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.