Notices

Dry Martini!!!! AWESOME!!!

Old 10-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Dry Martini!!!! AWESOME!!!

Originally Posted by skrap
Ron,

Great article on Dry Martini! Just a little note about the date of the photograph. It could not have been taken in 1973 as shown on this site or 1972 as printed in you article. First, in 1973 the Point Pleasant race was the Hennessy Grand Prix, not the Benihana Grand Prix and the boats were docked at the Kings Grant Inn not the Shrimp Box(which is still there today). Second, Jerry Dehenau's "Mollewood" wasn't built in 1973. Third, Wille Diaz's "EL Boss" wasn't in the '73 race. You can also see the bow of Betty Cook's "Kaama" with "US-1" on the side which would probably put the photo in 1980 because she was the 1979 US champion. If it were 1973 "US-1" would be on the side of Dr. Bob Magoon's Kiekhaefer Aeromarine. The 1980 Benihana Grand Prix was a fantastic race with Bill Elswick, Dan Broadwater, and George Gowan in "Long Shot" a 39 foot Cigarette beating out Vince Fasano and Sammy James in "Vincentive" a 38 foot Bertram. Fasano and James were accessed a three minute penalty for running through a spectator fleet. I am a plethora of useless information on offshore power boat racing and finally have an outlet. I have saved everything from 25 years ago and as soon as I figure out how, I will share it all with the OSO community. Keep up the good work. I love Extreme Boats magazine and Offshore Only.

Sincerely,

John
John Dehenau was racing a single engine 27 Magnum Sport In 76 and 77 if I remember correctly,
I think the first year of the Benihana GP was 1975, in 1974 the Race was moved to Atlantic City for one year and Art Snapper Norris won there. I t was still the Hennessy race there.
I'm still trying to find a copy of Extreme Boats magazine,
they don't seem to reply to e-mail sent to them requesting what book/magazine stores carry the magazine
Keep up the good work.
Thank you
Jim
Old 10-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey skrap - we look forward to you cracking the computer code and uploading all those wonderful photo´s you must have lying about. Got stories? Share!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 02:50 PM
skrap
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Black Tornado,

Billy Martin of Clark, NJ was US Champion in 1978 when he won eight races, and Betty won in 1979, so the picture would have to be 1980. I feel like this is turning into the"Zapruder Film." Extrermely scrutinized! It's nice to know that there are others out there like me.

Take Care,

John
Old 10-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skrap
Dear Black Tornado,

Billy Martin of Clark, NJ was US Champion in 1978 when he won eight races, and Betty won in 1979, so the picture would have to be 1980. I feel like this is turning into the"Zapruder Film." Extrermely scrutinized! It's nice to know that there are others out there like me.

Take Care,

John
No skrap. Sorry but you make a mistake. Billy Martin won a lot of race around the American Continent but never a National Championships.
The National Champ in 1978 was Bett,that came in Venice World Championships with her Cougar cat Kaama with the US-1. Then Betty repeated in 1980.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:35 PM
skrap
Gold Member

You are correct!! I am so sorry. I better check my facts a little closer next time. Betty won back to back tittles and I should have remembered that. To quote Robert DeNiro"...you are very good!"

John
Old 10-30-2006, 08:22 PM
skrap
Gold Member

Black Tornado,

More evidence to support the "Dry Martini" photo being taken in 1979. You are correct that the Mollewood/Aoki accident took place in September of '79 and when I checked my photos from the 1980 Benihana, Betty was in a cat not the deep vee shown in the background of that picture. Well I'm glad we put that to rest. As you can tell, I have too much free time on my hands, but I love this stuff. Old school is cool!

Sincerely,

John
Old 10-31-2006, 02:31 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Skrap
You are right to say that Betty Cook ran the Benihana Trophy in 1980 with cat, while in the photo the bow of Scarab is seen with US-1. But I did not take this test for showing that it was the 1979 because Betty Cook had both cat and the mono Kaama before the race, then to decide what to use. Then condition of the sea misleaded her to use the mono one.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:47 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep it up fellas!
Old 10-31-2006, 09:30 AM
skrap
Gold Member

Dear Dry Martini,

I agree but, the fact that the Benihana was run on July 18, 1979 in New Jersey and "Mollewood" was destroyed in September 15,1979 in California would be more validation. I don't believe that "Mollewood" returned to New Jersey with the "Mollewood" name after the crash in San Francisco. If you know that it didn't return, then we would be correct in placing that photo in 1979. Let me know what you think. I really enjoyed this. Phil M could tell us the answer in two seconds, but he probably doesn't care.

Take Care,

John
Old 10-31-2006, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 237 Likes on 91 Posts

This picture was taken in 1979. If you see the line up of boats in front of the restaurant is different than the other photo.

In the foreground is Gone Banana's a modified class 34 foot banana boat I built for Chuck Fogarty.

Ahead of him starting to go out, is Betty in her V.

Tied up close to the dock is the Benihana cat and the Michelob Light Scarab....no Mollewood anywhere in sight.
Attached Thumbnails Dry Martini!!!! AWESOME!!!-horba-web0030-small-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Dry Martini!!!! AWESOME!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.