Notices

Conquest cats

Old 08-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T2x, Do you have any projects in the works? A creative mind never rests.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:05 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
T2x, Do you have any projects in the works? A creative mind never rests.
Nope....just a few antique OPC race boats...

Linder designed a multi hull yacht a few years ago, but the project has been underfunded and has too many "experts" with their hands in it. The result seems to be a one off pleasure boat for the principal financial backer that needs to be put on a serious diet and have the drives, props and interior replaced. It was featured in a few ads in high end magazines, with some overly hopeful performance figures in spite of the fact that the original molds have been destroyed. Basically, so far it has been a costly cluster f*ck.

When I look at the high performance/race hull business today I don't see the free cash flow that we enjoyed. The outstanding backing in R&D we received from Mercury Marine has also gone away, mainly because of Brunswick's woes I suppose. In addition Peter Hledin has pretty much dominated the cat development landscape , and deservedly so. Is there really a need (or room) for competition, especially in an era where a large percentage of the cash customers can't tell the difference in quality, styling, and performance between a Skater and a "splash" or, worse yet, a California cat?

I frequently think out loud about the "wing" design but, even if we could pull a project together.....who would buy it?....for what purpose?......and using what powerplants in today's fuel silly situation? With insurance and liability issues, rising fuel costs, declining credit markets, and a spoiled "instant gratification" generation of customers who made too much, too fast and insist on surrounding themselves with sycophants and hangers on, what's the point? Where are the real boat racers?

Finally, I find no allure in the concept of creating a magnificent one-off design for some turkey to stick a pair of turbines or mega horsepower, fire breathing V-8's in ...for the purpose of racing against himself.

While this may seem like heresy in the era of Haggin, to me the future of boat racing is not as bright as it once was.

I hope I'm wrong.....

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 08-06-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:30 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Nope....just a few antique OPC race boats...

Linder designed a multi hull yacht a few years ago, but the project has been underfunded and has too many "experts" with their hands in it. The result seems to be a one off pleasure boat for the principal financial backer that needs to be put on a serious diet and have the drives, props and interior replaced. It was featured in a few ads in high end magazines, with some overly hopeful performance figures in spite of the fact that the original molds have been destroyed. Basically, so far it has been a costly cluster f*ck.

T2x
T2x , I was involved in this project , am the one who brought Linder on board and very greatful for his efforts .
I don't believe it is/was underfunded the problem is the architect , his preferences and relationships from building displacement cat yachts and the financial backer's wants .
As I am sure you are aware the South African company's workmanship wasn't the greatest , the architect's supervision minimal and yes , overweight , gaffe drives , and still playing with props . ( not to mention underpowered )
I am currently re styling the vessel to reflect what I wanted the original to have been .
It looks like the project will be funded and proceed .
My good friend , the principal financial backer said to me recently " Jimmy , you're the only guy that told me the truth all the way " my response , " Paul , I'm the only one not trying to make a living off this endeavour " It took him long enough to figure that out .
I know a few things , not everything , but the stupid decisions they made pissed me off and backed me off . The architect's and engineer's opinions always took precedent . At one point the geniuses suggested that my plan for coring hull sides made them too heavy ??
Anyhow I'd like to forward you some renderings of the new model I'm working on . This one one will be built here in the States . We've got some great builders right in our back yard ( Bristol , RI ) . My old Chris Cat is presently in Bristol getting a major refurb .
Look forward to your and George's input , Jim
Old 08-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Conquest cats-maxon__1985__4.jpg
Old 08-11-2008, 07:54 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by aex
T2x , I was involved in this project , am the one who brought Linder on board and very greatful for his efforts .
I don't believe it is/was underfunded the problem is the architect , his preferences and relationships from building displacement cat yachts and the financial backer's wants .
As I am sure you are aware the South African company's workmanship wasn't the greatest , the architect's supervision minimal and yes , overweight , gaffe drives , and still playing with props . ( not to mention underpowered )
I am currently re styling the vessel to reflect what I wanted the original to have been .
It looks like the project will be funded and proceed .
My good friend , the principal financial backer said to me recently " Jimmy , you're the only guy that told me the truth all the way " my response , " Paul , I'm the only one not trying to make a living off this endeavour " It took him long enough to figure that out .
I know a few things , not everything , but the stupid decisions they made pissed me off and backed me off . The architect's and engineer's opinions always took precedent . At one point the geniuses suggested that my plan for coring hull sides made them too heavy ??
Anyhow I'd like to forward you some renderings of the new model I'm working on . This one one will be built here in the States . We've got some great builders right in our back yard ( Bristol , RI ) . My old Chris Cat is presently in Bristol getting a major refurb .
Look forward to your and George's input , Jim
I'll look forward to seeing them.........

T2x
Old 08-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

T2X how much did the 48 ft Jesse James weigh?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:57 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Talked to George today and sent him some conceptual renderings of proposed 65 .
The 62 he designed us is actually a great success , performance wise we've each seperately witnessed 38 kts with only a pair 800's and weighing in excess of 50,000 lbs . The hull works . At 35000 lbs with a pair of 1550 diesels who knows ?
I hope we have an opportunity to find out .
T2x , I'll ask George to fwd you .
Old 08-19-2008, 06:50 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by chewiekw
T2X how much did the 48 ft Jesse James weigh?
About 14,000 lbs

T2x
Old 08-19-2008, 06:52 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by aex
Talked to George today and sent him some conceptual renderings of proposed 65 .
The 62 he designed us is actually a great success , performance wise we've each seperately witnessed 38 kts with only a pair 800's and weighing in excess of 50,000 lbs . The hull works . At 35000 lbs with a pair of 1550 diesels who knows ?
I hope we have an opportunity to find out .
T2x , I'll ask George to fwd you .
We talk daily and see each other every weekend. I look forward to seeing them.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

T2x,
can you write here a short(better long) biography of George Linder?
Marco

Quick Reply: Conquest cats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.