Notices

strait or step?

Old 11-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strait or step?

Since many of you have raced, or driven (played) with both modern step bottoms and strait old school V's. Ok I'll admit that I'm a speed junky, but, for cars braking and handling are more important over quarter mile and 0to60's times; so boats the same thing except I'm more interested in real offshore performance over top end speed. Sure it would be fun to hit 100mph every once in awhile, it's more important though how a boat handles the rough day's.

My pet peeve in reading mag's is: "Sarasota bay was a little choppy during the test, but the "insert brand" handled both the chop and boat wakes well!" Offshore racing and boats that are supposed to be for the sport dang well better handle those conditions. In racing and amongst the "go fast" crowd what ever happened to the Offshore aspect?

I'm lucky that I also like old school looks with a modern interior! I don't however like running in calm conditions, I look out at the water and like it when its a little more then "choppy" and boat wakes are for some air time when it's calm out!!!! I snow ski and care more for moguls over powder, guess if I water skied still, I would be wishing for calm glass smooth sticky water!!!! Hence why I'm not interested in a stepped bottom, don't care about going over 100mph in a V'!!!!

So whats your take?
Old 11-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Registered

Default Re: strait or step?

I look forward to "small craft advisories" with my 25! usually me and a buddy suit up vests and tethers) and hit the water for some real fun!!! I used to go alone here and there but had a real hair raising experience while running the only other boat out there that day, and was lucky to come back!

I don't care much about top speed but I do care about flying level and making it back home!!!
Old 11-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the best combination of both worlds in any boat (speed & ride). In bigger boats I am preferential to Donzi step hulls. There are a couple of other brands making some good steps out there too For rough conditions. As far as non step bottom hulls for rough water I am preferential to Apache, older Cigs or big ol' Scarab for a wave crusher if you want a big boat).. If you want a smaller non step boat look for a Pantera or 22 Donzi classic. They are small but tough boats (a lot like riding a sport bike).. Just my opinions... Hope it helps.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 11-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Registered

Location: Ocean Pines, Maryland. Wish I was at MANGOS in MIAMI!
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Zudnic, I'm with you on classic lines and offshore performance. I've never been in a big boat with a stepped hull, but I have a 37' Midnight (39 with bracket that has a 24 degree deadrise and weighs in at 12,500.) I am extremely happy with offshore performance. I do wish I hade more top end in the flat stuff. Boats are trade offs. I can tell you that some of the other faster stepped hull boats and cats have tried me offshore when it's rough and they have either flat out stopped their boats or turned around when they lost site of my stern.
Attached Thumbnails strait or step?-oc-race-6-bouys.jpg   strait or step?-oc-race-5.jpg  
Old 11-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Some History: When the first stepped V-bottoms started out the speed increase was minimal and negligible in rough water especially if you are really pushing and airbourne more than not. The big change as far as I`m concerned came when they started with new weight saving techniques, ala composites and lighter lamination schedule`s I think this was proven with several Mfg`s. same 38` boat steps vs, no steps. twin 500 efi`s 74 mph no steps 76 with steps, same 38` 1,000lbs lighter 82 to 84 mph.. As you can see there is a combination of things that make steps work, also almost forgot the advent of running the Sterndrives much higher because the step indicated the ride angle, so you no longer had to pry the boat out for less wetted surface. So you can see there were a lot of factors that came about at the time. Now days with the advancement of the steps and various configurations, steps are probably the only way to go for all around efficiency and performance. Personally I still like a good heavy 24 degree V-Bottom, bigger is better and more power is great. to go play in the air like the old days ( steps don`t do anything when you are in the air ) 7XCHAMP
Old 11-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Personally I still like a good heavy 24 degree V-Bottom, bigger is better and more power is great. to go play in the air like the old days ( steps don`t do anything when you are in the air ) 7XCHAMP
Guess that's my opinion as well. I do not like boating on lakes not enough room to rome and washing machine effect conditions do not appeal.

I'm the type who if they lived in San Diego would make runs to San Fran for the day. Type of runs that you leave in calm and on the return most of the sane people have put their boats away cause of the small craft advisory!!!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zudnic
Guess that's my opinion as well. I do not like boating on lakes not enough room to rome and washing machine effect conditions do not appeal.

I'm the type who if they lived in San Diego would make runs to San Fran for the day. Type of runs that you leave in calm and on the return most of the sane people have put their boats away cause of the small craft advisory!!!!!
You must live back east where the states are tiny.... I don't think you know how far it is from San Diego to San Francisco... but you couldn't make it in a day. You might make it to Newport or Marina Del Rey in a day.... another two to three days to San Francisco. The distance is a little over 500 miles by road.