Notices

36 Cigarettes racing back in the days

Old 12-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: 36 Cigarettes racing back in the days

Originally Posted by Black Tornado
I do not want to be controversial. Simply I say my personal opinion on basing to me on facts, as an example the strange ones and repeated problems for some drivers and not for others although both did have engines came out from the same company and that they came simply mounts on board without modifications.
I think that the World Titles of 1970-1971-1972-1973 and 1975 are in discussion.
Marco: Well if you were waiting for a response, here it comes. I can not believe after all these years I have to defend myself all over again. I hardly feel you deserve the right to know the truth after your accusations, but maybe some of the other readers would like to know the truth. 1) I think the detest remark is un called for, kind of like saying Michael Schumaker detested all of his competitors because they came from wrong side of town, You are out of line. True competitors protect their advantages by keeping quiet, which p.o.`s everyone else, believe me when I tell you the other teams of that era hated getting beat and cryed everytime it happened, that`s a fact. 2) Bonomi was not treated any different by Kiekhaefer than anyone else, I was the employee of Kiek. before I went with Bonomi I rigged the first boat in Fod Du Lac then was offered to Bonomi to manage and throttle it. 3) when the others could not beat us with the Mercruiser equip., they all switched to Aeromarine. 4) to say our motors were better than theirs is the same cop-out they used at the time. 5) I built most of the engines while at Kiek. aero. so I knew how to treat them, It was always said that when my motors were taken apart, they were in perfect condition, others had burnt bearings, bent rods, cracked cranks etc etc, because some people who throttle are harder on equip. than others, some throttlemen are noted for breaking equip. I was not one of those. I used to watch Franco Statwuth??? from different teams, he was the top throttleman at the time, he would sit at the dock and constantly rev the motors to max RPM, like in formula one. we used to laugh and say those motors will break, and they did, Finally I won 4 UIM`s in a row all with Aero.motors 2=Bonomi 73 & 74 then Franz =75 then Gentry in 76. Yes Franz I won all three South american races and second in Sweden, Bobby Moore ran two race`s got a third fourth etc. then got knocked out in Key West, and Wally had to finish on his own. Let me tell you Marco I was there, remember what throttlemen do, And I earned every G.D------ point i got like it or not. I used to spend hours going through my motors before even installing in the boat, and believe me if I had not, I to would have blown engines over little things, like a loose rocker arm or valves out of adjustment, or misaligned pulleys which would cause the belts to fly off and burn up an engine. You are grossly wrong in your statements, and the facts are the facts, champions in all sports earn that right by proving themselves better than the rest. All engines were the same it`s how they were treated that makes them different, same with set-ups, prop selection gear ratio selection and a cool hand on the sticks, That`s what makes champions, you should never discredit a Champion, if you do you are no better than the loosers you cry for. 7XCHAMP that`s right 7XCHAMP
Old 12-14-2006, 12:03 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Marco: Well if you were waiting for a response, here it comes. I can not believe after all these years I have to defend myself all over again. I hardly feel you deserve the right to know the truth after your accusations, but maybe some of the other readers would like to know the truth. 1) I think the detest remark is un called for, kind of like saying Michael Schumaker detested all of his competitors because they came from wrong side of town, You are out of line. True competitors protect their advantages by keeping quiet, which p.o.`s everyone else, believe me when I tell you the other teams of that era hated getting beat and cryed everytime it happened, that`s a fact. 2) Bonomi was not treated any different by Kiekhaefer than anyone else, I was the employee of Kiek. before I went with Bonomi I rigged the first boat in Fod Du Lac then was offered to Bonomi to manage and throttle it. 3) when the others could not beat us with the Mercruiser equip., they all switched to Aeromarine. 4) to say our motors were better than theirs is the same cop-out they used at the time. 5) I built most of the engines while at Kiek. aero. so I knew how to treat them, It was always said that when my motors were taken apart, they were in perfect condition, others had burnt bearings, bent rods, cracked cranks etc etc, because some people who throttle are harder on equip. than others, some throttlemen are noted for breaking equip. I was not one of those. I used to watch Franco Statwuth??? from different teams, he was the top throttleman at the time, he would sit at the dock and constantly rev the motors to max RPM, like in formula one. we used to laugh and say those motors will break, and they did, Finally I won 4 UIM`s in a row all with Aero.motors 2=Bonomi 73 & 74 then Franz =75 then Gentry in 76. Yes Franz I won all three South american races and second in Sweden, Bobby Moore ran two race`s got a third fourth etc. then got knocked out in Key West, and Wally had to finish on his own. Let me tell you Marco I was there, remember what throttlemen do, And I earned every G.D------ point i got like it or not. I used to spend hours going through my motors before even installing in the boat, and believe me if I had not, I to would have blown engines over little things, like a loose rocker arm or valves out of adjustment, or misaligned pulleys which would cause the belts to fly off and burn up an engine. You are grossly wrong in your statements, and the facts are the facts, champions in all sports earn that right by proving themselves better than the rest. All engines were the same it`s how they were treated that makes them different, same with set-ups, prop selection gear ratio selection and a cool hand on the sticks, That`s what makes champions, you should never discredit a Champion, if you do you are no better than the loosers you cry for. 7XCHAMP that`s right 7XCHAMP

Richie - not only were you one of the best in all the areas above - you also were one of the Classy persons on the circut - you and Bobby Bich were always soft spoken - out of the lime light of the people you worked for - you always were so conservative - like saying Awe Shucks - it just happened that way - but as we all have learned from the above quote - it WAS WORK - and you did your homework too -

You earned the name 7X champ - belive me you did - but not only did you earn that on the race course - you also were one of the best liked people out there -

From my point - you always were nice to me - even though I was new at the time - you always were easy to interview - but never sought the lime light -

People look up to you Richie - they still do - ME too !

Phil - from NNRT, Inc.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Marco: Well if you were waiting for a response, here it comes. I can not believe after all these years I have to defend myself all over again........... 7XCHAMP that`s right 7XCHAMP
Richie,

You certainly do not need to defend yourself. Your results, wins and titles speak volume for your achievements in the sport.
Furthermore, as a person, you are always ready to answer our (numerous) questions and give us a valuable insight on what real offshore racing used to be.
We are (at least I am) very grateful for that and I really hope that you will continue.

Phil.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil M
Richie - not only were you one of the best in all the areas above - you also were one of the Classy persons on the circut - you and Bobby Bich were always soft spoken - out of the lime light of the people you worked for - you always were so conservative - like saying Awe Shucks - it just happened that way - but as we all have learned from the above quote - it WAS WORK - and you did your homework too -

You earned the name 7X champ - belive me you did - but not only did you earn that on the race course - you also were one of the best liked people out there -

From my point - you always were nice to me - even though I was new at the time - you always were easy to interview - but never sought the lime light -

Phil - from NNRT, Inc.

Well said Phil !!!

I remember well when I was a kid my dad used to say "If I had Richie Powers on the sticks I could have won the National & World Championships." He wasn't saying this to be cocky - he was simply acknowledging your superiority in your craft. You, Bobby Beich, and Jack Stuteville were the best in his opinion - and I think that sums it up right there - enough said!!! Facts are facts - no one can take that away from you Richie!

Look - I can't speak for the others but I want to say how glad I am that we are able to "converse" with Offshore Legends like Richie Powers, Bobby Saccenti, Billy Martin, and many others right here in this forum. I grew up around race boats and you all and I remember well what a special time that was.

We also owe a great deal of thanks to people like John Crouse, Sal Maguiri, Ron Thibideau, & last but definitely not least - Phil Lewis for doing such a great job documenting the sport on film. If it wasn't for them, so much would be lost...

I know T2X & Darren (Big Seas LLC) are planning on rolling out the old NNRT video/DVD collection soon and I encourage everyone to buy some copies - you will not believe the kind of stuff these guys used to race in! (Like the very rough 1980 Benihana where the entire nose of "American Eagle" rips off after stuffing!) The lower quality vids on OSO & HORBA are just teasers compared to what these guys will have! I know I'll be ordering some...
Old 12-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deauville Trophy
I think that Richie mentioned the windshield he fabricated out of blue plexiglass and installed on the 35'. It seems that the windshield of the 36' was slghtly different. There doesn't appear to have any plexiglass involved in its fabrication.
What I don't understand is if you wish to race a lighter boat, why add more weight with a bulky windshield?
Was the protection gained as a result worth it?
Mind you, it did give the boat an unmistakeable look.

Phil.
Sorry to quote one of my own post but I had lost the thread there!!
Back to Dry Martini distinctive windshield.
Could anyone shed light on its origins? The Martini boat was the only 36 Cigarette equiped with such a screen, who designed it?

And Richie, having raced both with and without, what's the verdict?

Phil.
Attached Thumbnails 36 Cigarettes racing back in the days-drymartini73cockpitearlyseason.jpg   36 Cigarettes racing back in the days-drymartini73cockpitdeauvilleaction.jpg   36 Cigarettes racing back in the days-copy-drymartinideauville73cockpit.jpg  

Old 12-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Richie
I'm very displeasured who you have thought that my accusations were directed you and to your glorious history. You truly remain the best one and without spot.
My controversy on purpose of the rivalry between Italian drivers comes from the acquaintance of the fact that I personally had way to see and of knowing the reasons of this. They are not to trash words. Between persons of the north and those of the south Italy exist a difference of the way of life and between characters.
In offshore there was rich man that played with their expensive toys They loved before and after every contest to take themselves in turn in the nautical clubs. And this Bonomi probably did not appreciate it a lot. As to the Romans it did not appeal to to a lot the flematic Milanese. But all this I think is not interesting to the not italian people.
About your work in Kiekhaefer I believe in what you made.
Much little I believe instead in the business political that the Kiekhaefer and the Mercruiser made. To see sure things it was not one whichever but same I when I was with one of the best Italian throttleman than all the times. Franco Statua(not "Statwuth"),a World Champion in 1984 and that it has competed and won in Europe for beyond 15 years.
1) 1970 Tommy Sopwith was regular with him Avenger turbocharged Mercruiser but when he raced in Usa was disqualified.
Result:
World Title to Balestrieri in a Cigarette/MerCruiser
2) 1971-1972 Balestrieri(MerCruiser) after a 1970 without problems had two seasons with a never ending series of mechanical problems. Bonomi and you in 1972 was under judgment for your regular engines.
Result: The American Bill Wishnick and Bobby Rautbord World Champs with MerCruiser engines.
3) 1975 Bonomi after three years without remarkable problems with theirs Aeromarines,had a forgettable season and a final discord with Carl Kiekhaefer(why?) that forced him to switch in the last race, to Mercruiser without improvement .
Result: an anonimous Wallace Franz won the title.
I,m sure that like said some italian throttleman World Champions like Statua and Diridoni in the boat first came the throttleman,then the driver. In fact the real World Champ in 1984 wasn't another anonimous Alberto Petri but Franco Statua. And I'm sure that in 1975 the real WC was you and Bonomi or Moore not the samba brazilian.
Sorry Richie but my esteem for you was and will be always very high. I did not want absolutely to offend to you.
You can you give lessons to me in this sport.
I have intentional to only evidence some facts and wanted to have one your opinion, not to accuse you.

Sincerely

Marco

Last edited by Black Tornado; 12-14-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Phil M

Phil - from NNRT, Inc.
Thanks Phil: That really means a lot to me, As pro. throttlemen we were always expected to step aside and stay out of the light, I was instrumental in getting high salaries and perks for throttlemen, I was one of the highest paid guns, but shared and consulted with the others not to sell themselves short and step up and ask for the same, that was then. remember when we were called riding mechanics. We need to figure away to bring the good old days back, seems there is a lot of interest. Charlie is on the right track and I will support as much as possible, a lot of the guys are gone and few people know or care, it`s a shame, maybe we can all make a difference. You are a class guy and always have been, many thanks for the memories. 7XCHAMP your good friend Richie
Old 12-14-2006, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Richie,

I remember the "old days" even though I was a little kid back in the early and mid-70's when my dad raced with Myles "Smiley" Johns (God rest his soul) and Jack Stuteville. Jack actually came to my dad's recent 70th birthday and the B.S. was really flying that night.

Though in hindsight I did not do such a great job making the sport better, my efforts grew out of the love for the sport formed back in those days.

BTW, did you ever find out anything about my dad's old 35' Cigarette, "Conspiracy"?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Deauville Trophy
Sorry to quote one of my own post but I had lost the thread there!!
Back to Dry Martini distinctive windshield.
Could anyone shed light on its origins? The Martini boat was the only 36 Cigarette equiped with such a screen, who designed it?

And Richie, having raced both with and without, what's the verdict?

Phil.
Phil: The windshields came about in mid 1973, only two were made. they were made by Cigala and Bertinetti in there boat factory, I think in Milan, Bonomi contracted them to design and build, they weighed about 80 lbs and were a nightmare to install, Bonomi was tired of battling the wind all the time, you have to remember we had no protection from the wind at all, 75 mph plus head wind 25 mph. we were shot after the races which lasted anywhere from three to four hours depending on the course, with little or none protected waters. The windshields helped and didn`t hurt the performance, just didn`t like the looks. The windshield with the blue plexi was installed on the 35` in Atlantic City race then held on wednesday`s, this was done to allow time to return to France for race on Sat. and prior to wednesday race we raced Viareggio Bastia Viareggio, made for long weekend. First windshield went to the light Dry Martini 36` installed I think maybe Cowes or Poole race???????????? not sure. Hope I answered your question, it`s my pleasure.7XCHAMP
Old 12-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Mike Allweiss
Hey Richie,

I remember the "old days" even though I was a little kid back in the early and mid-70's when my dad raced with Myles "Smiley" Johns (God rest his soul) and Jack Stuteville. Jack actually came to my dad's recent 70th birthday and the B.S. was really flying that night.

Though in hindsight I did not do such a great job making the sport better, my efforts grew out of the love for the sport formed back in those days.

BTW, did you ever find out anything about my dad's old 35' Cigarette, "Conspiracy"?
Hi Mike: For sure say hello to your dad for me. I believe you had the best intentions for the sport and it`s a shame how it turned out for you. One of my highlights is when you acknowledged me at the drivers meeting in St. Pete one year, I had business people around who said, Richie we really had no idea, You know I bought the boat for Gentry, we took it to Australia and New Zealand to race, then returned it back to Hawaii where Tom used it for fun boat, Not sure where it ended up, it was a fast boat. How do I get hold of Jack S.
Been trying for some time, we were very close during the good old days, he was one of the hardest driving throttle guys around, and one of the best, if you beat Jack and Vincenzo you were doing something. Best to you and your family, happy holidays. Richie 7XCHAMP My e-mail: [email protected]

Quick Reply: 36 Cigarettes racing back in the days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.