Notices

Don Aronow question

Old 01-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Don Aronow question

I will be meeting with Giovanni Theodoli at Magnum this week before the races in Hollwood. They do have some info and was was able to acquire some basic info on all 25's amd the Maltese. He iindicated he was going to provide me with the same info on the 27's but he has backed off...I will keep trying.

The new 27 will not be at the Miami show,maybe they will let me shoot a few more pictures and I will post them.I also checked on the turrett and they did not have any. Bud
Old 02-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Don Aronow question

the cigarette history - and especially Aronow are simply amazing. I live in Texas, so I'm somewhat removed from the scene - but I am down with what you guys are trying to accomplish and definitely echo your sentiments and respect.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Just found this 1980 old add for the Little Broad Jumper if this was the real deal, what a deal this would have been !!!
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow question-scan0141.jpg  
Old 02-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

But I do have this one on the hoist in the back yard, it was said to be one of the Donzi race boat's???? It dose have vee drive's and big block's.
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow question-scan0143.jpg  
Old 02-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Registered

The book sounds like a great idea!!! I am anxious to see what comes of this.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Registered

I also think a memorial for Don on 188 St. would be appropiate. Someone is doing a documentary and movie about him silviosardi.com and some girl called me up after Christmas asking me some questions. Like I wanted to talk about it at that time after losing my dad last September. I was up at USA talking to Don about a revised (new and improved) 46'cat hull about a week before he died, and I was living down the street from his new house next to Barry Gibb. Even got an old archtop door from him that he was throwing out and turned it into a woodcut painting. He really was a terrific designer. By the way what bone head thought JC Simone designed the 32 cary, the only thing JC Simone did was ruin cary marine by trying to get into Don's market. If anyone really wants to know who designed the damn thing it was a few people, a few years, and a few improvements PERIOD
Old 09-04-2016, 09:09 PM
Registered

I fished a 28 Cary many moons ago out of Hilton Head. 40+ years ago. We caught several marlin in the tournament. Cary was a nice riding boat, but after trolling all day, you have to take the seat cover off the engines, because the built up carbon from trolling all day, the engines would start back firing. Not a good sign to see a foot of fire blowing back out of the carbs when you are 80 miles offshore and they had no EBIRBS in those days. Johnny Peters took the Cary and designed the 26' release which he sold a lot of boats, but I never road in a Release 26

I have to say with all the money in the boating industry why have they not committed to build a bronze statue of Don and a plaque of his history where he was murdered. I was at the Miami boat show that year and everybody was stunned that Don was murdered. Damn 40 foot outboard now going over $1,000,000 is just insane.

Last year I started looking back where Don was rebuilding his house over and the library said it was on the western shore @ 59th street

Last edited by DHKEYWEST; 09-04-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 497 Posts

After reading this very old thread unearthed by DHKEYWEST, a shame nothing ever eventuated, or did it?
Any chance to try again for what would have been his 90th birthday......?

If the OP wants to build a 24' Banana 'DA 90 Edition' with a Verado, I'd happily swap my Fountain for it.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 09-05-2016 at 05:09 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 172 Likes on 91 Posts

This past spring I ventured into trying to get the Sheepshead Bay Community board to acknoweledge Don Aronow by renaming the street sign in front of his place of birth (1206 ave.R Brooklyn)
I had phoned Michael Aronow and with his support he sent me numerous historical articles and together we filled out a lenghty questionaire and 3 months later I presented my case for a street
renaming called "Don Aronow way".........I gave a short speech about all of his early accomplishments in Brooklyn and how he went on to change the world in offshore power boat racing and
became a world champion and was known internationally................They voted it down 15 to 0 .....not one vote to rename!!!.........one reason given was, when he made his millions in building
shopping malls in Jersey ..........Why didn't he send some money back to his former community in SHB???.........I was shocked that it was all about the "money" and not about a favorite son
of Sheepsheasd Bay who made good and the community was proud to acknowledge him!................I too was born in SHB and thought what a great thing to happen, but ofcourse BS politics!!
Old 09-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 497 Posts

Disappointing, sounds like you were addressing 15 sailboat owners. They're always jealous!

I wonder if the controversy surrounding some of his associates and the circumstances of his death could make it politically awkward to have some public memorial for him. We all admire him and the great achievements but he wasn't an angel.

Anyway, kudos for your efforts.

RR

Quick Reply: Don Aronow question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.