The sad end of .."The Cigarette" >

The sad end of .."The Cigarette"

Notices

The sad end of .."The Cigarette"

Old 10-15-2021, 05:37 AM
Registered

Received 408 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by auxiliary_power
I just joined so I could share three photos my late father took of this original 'The CIGARETTE' at the Australian Offshore Powerboat Championships on Port Philip Bay in the mid 1970s, including one of the engine compartment.

However, the forum won't let me upload them because I haven't made ten posts :-(
just make 10 posts hear
Old 10-15-2021, 06:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 508 Likes on 279 Posts

They can be random and meaningless!
Old 10-15-2021, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 4 Posts

Preliminary ramblings to qualify for uploading original photos of ‘The CIGARETTE’ - 2/10

As an outsider, apologies in advance if my terminology writing about this subject is clumsy.

Though I’ve never operated a boat of any kind, I grew up in a double-storey house just two doors from the beach near Ricketts Point on Port Philip Bay (Victoria, Australia), where we could observe (and, in some cases, hear) activity on the water.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:40 AM
Registered

Preliminary ramblings to qualify for uploading original photos of ‘The CIGARETTE’ - 3/10

On at least two occasions in the mid-to-late 1970s, I accompanied my father to St Kilda Marina for legs of the Australian Offshore Powerboat Championship. That was because his Sydney-based cousin, Alan Thibou, had come down with his racing partner’s boat: “Bob’n Boys”. Alan was ‘In-Flight Manager’ for Qantas Airways and very meticulous in all that he did.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:42 AM
Registered

Preliminary ramblings to qualify for uploading original photos of ‘The CIGARETTE’ - 4/10

The photos are better than having none at all. However, by that time, dad had ceased his previous practice (from 1958 to the early 70s) of using Kodachrome in his German Edixa Reflex 35mm camera to produce transparencies (which remain top quality decades later). Instead, he switched to producing prints with a less-exotic Pentax, which have not scanned well. It is possible that the negatives still exist somewhere in the ‘archives’, of which another family member is custodian.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:43 AM
Registered

Preliminary ramblings to qualify for uploading original photos of ‘The CIGARETTE’ - 5/10

So far, six photos have been scanned, three of which include ‘The CIGARETTE’. From what I’ve read on this thread and elsewhere online, it is the same boat that passed from Don Aronow to the Carr brothers to Arnold Glass to Norm Jenkin. At the time of these photos, Norm Jenkin is listed as the driver and ‘JENKSCRAFT’ appears underneath the boat’s name.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:44 AM
Registered

Preliminary ramblings to qualify for uploading original photos of ‘The CIGARETTE’ - 6/10

In the photo of the engine compartment, one of the crew – Don McClymont – looks at the camera. By co-incidence, Don had briefly been a trail-riding buddy of my brother’s, several years prior. From a brief online search, it appears that Don was working in the industry as recently as 2011.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:44 AM
Registered

Preliminary ramblings to qualify for uploading original photos of ‘The CIGARETTE’ - 7/10

Another one of the ‘The CIGARETTE’ photos has it next to Arnold Glass’ replacement boat: ‘American Eagle’ (candy-striped). I vaguely recall there also being a photo of American Eagle ‘limping back’ with the bow broken off from rough conditions (but that one hasn’t turned up yet).
Old 10-15-2021, 07:45 AM
Registered

Preliminary ramblings to qualify for uploading original photos of ‘The CIGARETTE’ - 8/10

I think we had somewhere a photo – possibly taken at a subsequent event - of Peter Dean’s ‘Slingshot’. The other top-tier boat I remember was ‘The Rarotongan’.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:46 AM
Registered

Preliminary ramblings to qualify for uploading original photos of ‘The CIGARETTE’ - 9/10

There are photos of some smaller boats that competed, which I could also post.

Quick Reply: The sad end of .."The Cigarette"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.