Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
The sad end of .."The Cigarette" >

The sad end of .."The Cigarette"

Notices

The sad end of .."The Cigarette"

Old 11-09-2013, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, it's been staring me in the face for years but I would never have put that together........always thought it was Kiekhaefer Aero Marine...........doh!

Is that why Aeromarine IX was never really referred to as KAM, because it was Bonomi's boat and not Magoon's?

Very cool little story there Charlie, thank you.

Last edited by Ratman72; 11-09-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:43 AM
Registered

Charlie, do you know the story behind this Bertram 36' (if that's what it is????), is this a Magoon boat as well? You really don't hear much about this boat, so I'm guessing it wasn't a success.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]512064[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]512065[/ATTACH]

Also, why was Aeromarine IX called that instead of the next sequential number in the Aeromarine series of boats, ie, I, II, III, etc.. Is it called IX because Bonomi's racing number was 9?
Attached Thumbnails The sad end of .."The Cigarette"-ohio%2520h2o%25202.jpg   The sad end of .."The Cigarette"-scan0024ls-10.jpg  

Last edited by Ratman72; 11-09-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 237 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratman72
Charlie, do you know the srory behind this Bertram 36', is this a Magoon boat as well? You don't hear much about thus boat, so I'm guessing it wasn't a success.

[ATTACH=

Also, why was Aeromarine IX called that instead of the next sequential number in the Aeromarine series of boats, ie, I, II, III, or IV.

Is it called IX because Bonomi's racing number was 9 and the KAM I, II and III boats were Magoon boats........assuming Aeromarine II was a Magoon boat??
I am just leaving for the OFF meeting in Tavares Fla. Both Brownie and Sammy James will be there and I can ask them for more info on this boat. One thing about it was the number and how many people didn't like it at all. I remember that Bertram was trying to make that bridge between the big diesel boats that Richard Bertram raced and the new boats that Cigarette were coming out with. Finally they just came out with a whole new design with a much shallower vee and the boats were very fast....a handful to drive but very fast.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Registered

Great photo of the 28 out of the water,but don't know how to upload.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Registered

When you hit reply, you get some icons at the top of the text box......hit the third from the right, the one that looks like a picture. Then go and find the pic on your PC and upload.......I think you only have this function if you are a Gold member or higher.

Last edited by Ratman72; 11-09-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Registered

[IMG]001[/IMG]
Old 11-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Registered

Hasn't worked......looks close though.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Registered

[IMG]001[/IMG]
Old 11-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Just a side note here. As we all know both Kiekhaefer and Aronow had very big egos and never missed an opportunity to take the spotlight. When this new KAM race boat was shown to the public, Carl had a major press conference and tried to get the word out that he had a new business and was ready to sell engines.

Aronow of course couldn't miss the opportunity to give his friend a little busting and when he was contacted about the press release info, he quickly countered with.....Oh yes, that is the best offshore boat ever built! As you can see it was named after the three partners who have done the most in offshore KAM. Kiekhaefer - Aronow - Magoon!!
Hi Charlie---I am missing another reunion!!!----But I have been following this thread for a few days---after 40+ years the memory may be a little fuzzy---but it was KAM number one that ran the fist injection --(after Roger Hanks.) I am sure Richie can verify this---it started with a CROWER injection manifold, and all KINSLER injection parts. Richie and Mr. K. set the whole thing up, and we ran it late in the 1971 season.
G.

Last edited by Redman; 11-09-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ratman72
Charlie, do you know the story behind this Bertram 36' (if that's what it is????), is this a Magoon boat as well? You really don't hear much about this boat, so I'm guessing it wasn't a success.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]512065[/ATTACH]

Also, why was Aeromarine IX called that instead of the next sequential number in the Aeromarine series of boats, ie, I, II, III, etc.. Is it called IX because Bonomi's racing number was 9?
I think the "Bertram" (Aeromarine II) was actually a MEMCO splash---and was rigged by 'Riggs' but never raced by Kiekhaefer (or Magoon)

Quick Reply: The sad end of .."The Cigarette"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.