Notices

Back In The Day

Old 04-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Jr see if you can get your dad to tell the story of the Formula decks on the Magnum race boats. I can remember them coming down from Formula as Magnum didn't have a deck to fit that size boat ....The Hustler.

Here is a shot of the same deck used on the Formula race boat.
TB.. Just spoke to dad, Once upon a time....Jake Trotter and Danny Duroe had taken a 27' Magnum made a mold off it, they raised the sides and extended the back using formica and popped out dads 33' which was one of 5 made. Then they went to formula and found a deck mold that would fit the 33 footer, and thus came Hustler 4 a 33' Magnum that won the "Americas Cup" and was the first brand "X" Boat to stop the cigarette Domination. Then there were 3 other 33' Built then dad got the Hustler 5 which was the 31' Magnum which was too Light and too Fast for its time, the boat weighed less than 6000lbs Race ready was a 2 layer hull, which was so light that his navigator in California Frank Gerten put his knee through the side of the boat. In one of the Ft Lauderdale races he blew the Flywheel through the Bottom of the 5 Boat and tore the transome out, he made it to the beach where it sunk. A Fellow with a 4 wheel drive and a winch pulled it above the water line so he could get a crane to lift it, and put it on the trailer. This Boat has just turned up in California, it was the 126 boat called "Headhunter" a Single engine Magnum which is going to be restored by the finder. The mold to the 33' Magnum was purchsed by a boat company in Long Island Called....... who improved on the hull many many times and had set several records. Hope this helped or was informative.

Jr.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 231 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks to Billy and Jr for the background....clears my memory banks a bit.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the story on the 27 Magnum "Lil rebel III"......is that right?

Don't think I've seen this before.....what else did it run as?....was it yellow?
Attached Thumbnails Back In The Day-bac76a.jpg  
Old 04-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Billy Martin
Dad still has the 36' Cig (playboat) His others were sold back in th e day but are now re-appearing.

Jr.
Hey Billy, is there any chance you can post pictures of your dads 36, both inside and out? Also, if you either have a bio on your dad from some articles, or if you could write one,I bet lots of people would really like to read it.

Could you also if possible ask your dad about Snapper Norris's boat and whatever happened to him. Id love to buy Slap Shot if ever it turned up
Old 04-07-2007, 10:33 PM
skrap
Gold Member

Preston Henn in the Bacardi win had some crew... Sammy James and Errol Lanier!! Wow!!! what a combination!!
Old 04-07-2007, 10:36 PM
skrap
Gold Member

Bobby Sheer from "Little Rebel" had one of the greatest names for his next race boat "Sheer Terror." He was know as one of the top Modified Class throttleman, and he ALWAYS had the sticks pinned to the deck...ALWAYS!
Old 04-09-2007, 02:24 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Martin
TB.. . The mold to the 33' Magnum was purchsed by a boat company in Long Island Called....... who improved on the hull many many times and had set several records. Hope this helped or was informative.

Jr.
Jr.

Was that the mold that became the Barcone?

Billy: Please pass my regards on to your dad........

and ask him what happened to his "Wing" up at Northwood Boat and Engine?

T2x........
Old 04-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 231 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Jr.

Was that the mold that became the Barcone?

Billy: Please pass my regards on to your dad........

and ask him what happened to his "Wing" up at Northwood Boat and Engine?

T2x........
Rich

The Barcone was taken from the 28 footer Ghost Rider and made in fiberglass. They went into production and the manager at the time was Bill Sirois.

Rocky Aoki's first race boat was a Barcone in Sports class.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:43 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Rich

The Barcone was taken from the 28 footer Ghost Rider and made in fiberglass. They went into production and the manager at the time was Bill Sirois.

Rocky Aoki's first race boat was a Barcone in Sports class.
Charlie:

I thought there was a bigger Barcone...made on Long Island.... Moriches, I believe.

I might be confusing it with something else......

Rich
Old 04-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Charlie,

your Plaque is on the way!!!!

Good artical by charlie It is now preserved forever

Marc
Attached Thumbnails Back In The Day-charliemc-carthy-reduced.jpg  

Quick Reply: Back In The Day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.