Notices

Back In The Day

Old 04-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Charlie:

I thought there was a bigger Barcone...made on Long Island.... Moriches, I believe.

I might be confusing it with something else......

Rich
Rich,

I think you are referring to Bartel...as in Roy Bartel from Remsenberg Marina, which is the next town east of Moriches.

It was a 34 footer if I recall correctly...

Anyone care to guess who has those molds now? Hint: They are a well known builder also on LI.

Sean
Old 04-10-2007, 12:05 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

superboat?
Old 04-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Jr.

Was that the mold that became the Barcone?

Billy: Please pass my regards on to your dad........

and ask him what happened to his "Wing" up at Northwood Boat and Engine?

T2x........
T2X..... Dad says hello, Last he heard of the Switzer Wing it was in Bobby Davis' Gas Station in River Sticks Lake Hopatcong 30 plus or minus years ago, Might Try Bob Davis he now resides in Ft. Lauderdale Fl. We tried the Numbers that we had for him however they were no longer any good and information said thier were 4 Robert Davis' in Ft. Lauderdale. Sorry but thats all we could come up with. He remembers that it was stolen From the gas station along with 2 other boats at the time. Also Dad doesnt think that the mold did become the barcone but he is not sure. Hope this helped.

Jr.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by priceb
Hey Billy, is there any chance you can post pictures of your dads 36, both inside and out? Also, if you either have a bio on your dad from some articles, or if you could write one,I bet lots of people would really like to read it.

Could you also if possible ask your dad about Snapper Norris's boat and whatever happened to him. Id love to buy Slap Shot if ever it turned up
Price B.... When we take the cover off the boat, probably in a week or 2 I will take some shots for you, as for the bio on him, lets just say he has led one hell of a life! I know some people have been contacting him in regards to a movie, as well as a book, but I dont know the specifics on whats going on with that. We'll see about getting some stories posted lol. Also I asked about Snapper Norris and the boat Slap Shot and he is not too Sure with either, he hasnt spoken to him in years, sorry I wasnt much help. When I post the pics I will Message you to let you know they are up, I will post them to this Thread.

Thanks,
Jr.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Registered

Hi Billy,

Mate, thank you very much for that information.

I was watching some old footage of your dad racing and it was just such a rugged sport back then.

Was your Dad a wealthy guy in his late 20's to afford to race back then? (if you don't mind me asking!!!). I often wonder how the racers in the 70's at the ages they were racing got the cash as I imagine it wasn't a cheap sport in the days of a fuel crisis.

My father was a boat builder in Australia in the 70's and had his own brand. He told about the marine industry when the fuel crash hit and said it almost destroyed big V8 powerboats here. This is how I became interested in old school offshore. I was going through my dads papers and made an album with all the articles on his boats and photos so they don't get lost in time, and I found an american powerboat magazine from 1974 with Snapper Norris on the front cover...and then began to read all about Bounty hunter, Slap Shot etc and then started researching on the net.

Personally I'm not into the new offshore powerboats they are racing here...the cigarette style boats are so much cooler.

Which class do you race? Would you like to post some info on your boat and class?

Look forward to reading more about your dad and can't wait to see the pics of his boat.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:59 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by priceb
Hi Billy,

Mate, thank you very much for that information.

I was watching some old footage of your dad racing and it was just such a rugged sport back then.

Was your Dad a wealthy guy in his late 20's to afford to race back then? (if you don't mind me asking!!!). I often wonder how the racers in the 70's at the ages they were racing got the cash as I imagine it wasn't a cheap sport in the days of a fuel crisis.

My father was a boat builder in Australia in the 70's and had his own brand. He told about the marine industry when the fuel crash hit and said it almost destroyed big V8 powerboats here. This is how I became interested in old school offshore. I was going through my dads papers and made an album with all the articles on his boats and photos so they don't get lost in time, and I found an american powerboat magazine from 1974 with Snapper Norris on the front cover...and then began to read all about Bounty hunter, Slap Shot etc and then started researching on the net.

Personally I'm not into the new offshore powerboats they are racing here...the cigarette style boats are so much cooler.

Which class do you race? Would you like to post some info on your boat and class?

Look forward to reading more about your dad and can't wait to see the pics of his boat.
Can you scan and post here that powerboat magazine of 1974?
Have you pics of some open 1 australian boats?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:38 AM
Registered

Yep,no problems, should i scan the whole magazine?, or the pictures only?

the pics I have photos of are 17-21 ft jet boat runabouts and half cabs my dad built in the 70's. Most were fitted with 351s or 454s...some turbo'd. The fastest boat they fitted was a 100mph approx ski boat with a twin turbo'd 454. I did have a picture of this but cant find it unfortunately.

My dad was a pioneer of jet propulsion in the 70s and built the australian competitor to the hamilton jet called the vicalenjet. His jet at the time had better performance and far more thrust....i still have the stats sheet where they did the stats on a boat with a hamilton, took it out and put a vicalen in to prove it. I have two jet boats that dad built. He built a 17.5 ft runabout which later was modified into a half cab. Also at the begining of sprint boats he built one.

He was quite a visionary, but jets had a very bad reputation at the time here probably due to the prototypes from new zealand when jets were first released. My half cab has a 350 LT1 gen 2 engine producing 395hp. Considering the size of the boat and the weight it is doing about 55mph. The problems I have though are cavitation on acceleration from a dead stop. I have had the prop modified, but most of the guys who worked on the props/jet are now dead. So I'm type of stuck with the problems. I'm going to sell both and buy a mustang 28ft cruiser as I live on a marina and it is next to a bar....so I can bring girls back at night for a cruise

I guess growing up in boat factory and being around constant boat development...then being given a scale model black 3ft cigarette at age 5, then a remote control wellcraft excaliber in the 80s...helped fuel my addiction! I'm buying my partner out right now in our business, then I plan to buy a 38 top gun. Unfortunately Australia is different to the Usa, there are not many offshore powerboats. My dads buddy Peter howells (was a mercury manager here) Use to know Peter Dean "slapshot" in the 70s and said offshore racing was much bigger in Australia back then.

The reason for dad having that magazine was there was about 4 pages on jet propulsion. Let me know what you would like and also some tips on how to scan it and i'll gladly get it done.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
superboat?
you are correct, sir.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

priceb,you can post here so to alls OSO members.
I'm intersting the the pics and the articles of Powerboat (the cover with Norris?)magazine and your Dad boats too.

I would like to see pics of the Peter Dean's boats,Carr brothers and Arnold Glass too!
Old 04-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Priceb,
I think that Billy's family had a furniture store in New Jersey back then,, I would guess that they still do,, been a few yrs since I did any boating in New Jersey with Billy Senior and the Magnums that ran around the Bay on the weekends.

Thank you
Jim

Quick Reply: Back In The Day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.