Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Let me know Riche if you want a clean copy, Hugh
Old 08-27-2007, 04:08 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
I think I ran about 46 or 48 mph, most exciting thing I ever did, then brought her in and Schwebbie put a little cup in the port prop. I think I asked for 250 rpm to be taken out, the hammers started banging and the cigarette smoke blowing, next I was testing. Schwebbie only managed to take out 249.5 rpm`s. so we banged them again for the .5 for perfection, and that`s the way it was in those days. Right Steve
7XCHAMP
Richie:

As I recall we used trailer ball hitches for anvils back then and you could get more or less cup depending on which size ball you used. The bronze two blade Michigan "hubless" design was big for a while....until the propshafts broke.

T2x
Old 08-28-2007, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Richie:

As I recall we used trailer ball hitches for anvils back then and you could get more or less cup depending on which size ball you used. The bronze two blade Michigan "hubless" design was big for a while....until the propshafts broke.

T2x
I actually got pretty good at cupping props, The propshop in Fondulac gave me my own lead custom hammer, and you are right, we used everything from trailer balls to various size ball peen hammers. That was the era where if you were on your game you had to do all those things, from complete rigging to mechanic work, to driving both the boat and the rig. The good old days, when you actually had to finish a race irregardless of where or when you broke down, you needed the points, That`s why we carried the spare two blade props on the bulkhead etc. and always a tool box, I rode in the bilge many times repairing or rigging something to get us home during a race, also shoving towels, life jackets etc. into holes in the boat to save her and finish.
7XCHAMP
Old 08-28-2007, 09:16 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

I actually got pretty good at cupping props, The propshop in Fondulac gave me my own lead custom hammer, and you are right, we used everything from trailer balls to various size ball peen hammers. That was the era where if you were on your game you had to do all those things, from complete rigging to mechanic work, to driving both the boat and the rig. The good old days, when you actually had to finish a race irregardless of where or when you broke down, you needed the points, That`s why we carried the spare two blade props on the bulkhead etc. and always a tool box, I rode in the bilge many times repairing or rigging something to get us home during a race, also shoving towels, life jackets etc. into holes in the boat to save her and finish.
7XCHAMP
I had a co-driver (nice name for "designated victim" ), Willie Schaefer, who actually attempted to change sparkplugs on two inline 6's on my JJ Glastron (we had a fouling problem during a marathon race), ........ while we were racing!!!!! All I heard was "Ouch...OOMPH,...DAMMIT...... UNH...." punctuated with crazy laughter as he lay in the bailing well and reached around behind the engines. Every now and then he'd scream out "Back off on the port motor", and he'd insert a plug... (The old plugs shot out on their own ).. Fortunately he gave up after actually getting a few plugs in.

T2x
Attached Thumbnails Back In The Day-my-pictures-197.jpg  
Old 08-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

T2rex, have you ever heard the expression, "Get the f**k outta here!"?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:28 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
T2rex, have you ever heard the expression, "Get the f**k outta here!"?
Brownie:

As usual...you can't make this stuff up......

T2x
Old 08-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
I had a co-driver (nice name for "designated victim" ), Willie Schaefer, who actually attempted to change sparkplugs on two inline 6's on my JJ Glastron (we had a fouling problem during a marathon race), ........ while we were racing!!!!! All I heard was "Ouch...OOMPH,...DAMMIT...... UNH...." punctuated with crazy laughter as he lay in the bailing well and reached around behind the engines. Every now and then he'd scream out "Back off on the port motor", and he'd insert a plug... (The old plugs shot out on their own ).. Fortunately he gave up after actually getting a few plugs in.

T2x
I remember the old JJ and J boats from the OPC days, I was with the factory team for two years, Late 1969 to early 1971, before I left and went to work for the old man at Aeromarine building Magoon and Bonomi boats.
That would be some feat to change plugs while running, the compression was 150 PSI in those days, I could see shutting one motor down and running on one while changing the plugs then vice versa. Motor running and changing plugs????????
I saw a lot of motors explode on the dyno, not pretty, That guy was some co-driver, plus getting the s*** knocked out of him from the thunderbolt ignition, about 120,000 volts, it will knock any good man down, especially if it`s wet, I know I have been knocked off a boat a couple times by it. Keep up the pictures and stories. You were there.
7XCHAMP
Old 08-28-2007, 05:05 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

I remember the old JJ and J boats from the OPC days, I was with the factory team for two years, Late 1969 to early 1971, before I left and went to work for the old man at Aeromarine building Magoon and Bonomi boats.
That would be some feat to change plugs while running, the compression was 150 PSI in those days, I could see shutting one motor down and running on one while changing the plugs then vice versa. Motor running and changing plugs????????
I saw a lot of motors explode on the dyno, not pretty, That guy was some co-driver, plus getting the s*** knocked out of him from the thunderbolt ignition, about 120,000 volts, it will knock any good man down, especially if it`s wet, I know I have been knocked off a boat a couple times by it. Keep up the pictures and stories. You were there.
7XCHAMP
It was definitely pre Thunderbolt....1965, but he got shocked..A LOT. I might have shut an engine down for a few seconds to get each plug started, but I really don't remember doing that. On the other hand, you're right about the compression, so he definitely did something....... knowing Willy, he might have plugged a carb venturi.....

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 08-28-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
Is it just me or is the shot printed backwards............
Ryan - My Brainfart! You are correct! That picture is printed backward.....I Think......I'm pretty sure......probably.....I'm absolutely certain that picture MIGHT be printed backward......Help me out here Richie. I think the "new" tower was on the left as you idled out of the "new" slip. -Steve
Old 08-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyslexia

How about this? I was getting dizzy looking at it the other way. Thought I was going crazy. Now the lake also takes on the proper proportions. By the way, I don't think the bridge was there when the "new" building and slip were first built. - Steve
Attached Thumbnails Back In The Day-slip.jpg  

Last edited by seeroy; 08-29-2007 at 10:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Back In The Day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.