Notices

Back In The Day

Old 12-12-2007, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Tornado
Interesting that stern of Cigarette / Cary? to the right. Very probable that deal with a former Black Tornado.
Just in the 1973 runs a 32' ex BT driven by Mark Raymond....
Marco: I am pretty sure the transom to the right is the back end of Roger Penski`s 40` Cigarette Sunoco DX It was one of the only boats around with Blue hull and Yellow deck, also has the Patterson side exhaust. I speak with Lance Taines regularly, his father lives in Ft. Laud. he lives in L.A. he syill has the fever. Mark Raymond AKA Big Dirty used to throttle for Bob Higgins in the 32` Cig. Snoopy ex: Broadjumper etc.
7XCHAMP
Old 12-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by h2oboater
Three different AEROMARINE'S that raced on Lake Erie around 1973 to 75.
If my memory serves me correctly, and I was there at the time with Kiek. and tested both Cigs while working for ECK in Fond du lac. There were only two 36` Cigs for Magoon, the third boat in the picture right hand upper corner, I am pretty sure is a Memco built by Mabry Edwards for Kiek, a copy of the 36` Cig. The only other Cig. Kiek. had was a 40` which became Diamond Don, and ran the first true Kiek. drives, which should now have historical significance for the fact that the upper gear hsg. was locked straight and the lower gear case steered, They were the prelim. to the first number six drives. I built and tested the 40` with those drives along with Mel Riggs. I remember when we first tested the boat, we could not control it, it was a wild crazy ride. Eventually we found the problem, which was the fact that the helm we used was to quick, only about 3 turns lock to lock which meant we were over steering the boat, we changed the helm to slower and more turns and the boat ran perfect, hands off. Back then is when we were inventing the true power steering as we know it today, Prior we used dual ride guide cables with a power assist slave on one side, which was a derivitive of the power steering units from cars. 7XCHAMP
Old 12-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Phil found another picture of your 36' Bertram, I like your color matching tow truck,, COOL !!
Attached Thumbnails Back In The Day-scan0012-phil-m.jpg  
Old 12-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 29-9

h2oboater...do you think that #666 was another of the 29"9s,sure looks like one???? Bud
Old 12-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bud I can't say , here is a fuzzy pic of your Mag by the hoist, and one more of the AEROMARINE II, she looks bigger than 30'.
Attached Thumbnails Back In The Day-scan0024ls-11.jpg   Back In The Day-scan0022ls-2.jpg  
Old 12-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bud I can't say , here is a fuzzy pic of your Mag by the hoist, and one more of the AEROMARINE II, she looks bigger than 30'.

H2O: the Aeromarine boat #666 is actually a Memco copy of the old 32` Bertram model stretched to 36` it was custom made for Carl Kiek. way back, It sat in the barn at Fond du lac for years, I was incorrect in one of my posts when I said it was a pop of the 36` Cig. I know the boat I was there, if you look at the strakes curving up in the front you will see the Bertram lines. Not to be confused with the later 38` Bertrams, totally different beast. I think Gil Lieber had something to do with the project and the actual owner was Sonny ????????? don`t remember last name, but Gil Lieber was close friends with Carl K. and used to visit frequently, I think they got the boat for next to nothing, it was built by Mabry Edwards in St. Augustine. 7XCHAMP
Old 12-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Marco: I am pretty sure the transom to the right is the back end of Roger Penski`s 40` Cigarette Sunoco DX It was one of the only boats around with Blue hull and Yellow deck, also has the Patterson side exhaust. I speak with Lance Taines regularly, his father lives in Ft. Laud. he lives in L.A. he syill has the fever. Mark Raymond AKA Big Dirty used to throttle for Bob Higgins in the 32` Cig. Snoopy ex: Broadjumper etc.
7XCHAMP
Oh yeah! I had forgotten the Sunoco DX! I think you are right Richie.

I knew the Sabre Dance for a black and white photo only; now thanks to h2oboater I can see how much that boat was beutiful!

Last edited by Black Tornado; 12-12-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Black Tornado
Oh yeah! I had forgotten the Sunoco DX! I think you are right Richie.

I knew the Sabre Dance for a black and white photo only; now thanks to h2oboater I can see how much that boat was beutiful!
You Guys are on to somthing,, Along with the box of all these great pictures I have on loan that I have been posting, there are some super 8 home movies of some 1973 races. In one race it looks like the Captian,, Roger Penske at the wheel of the Sunoco DX at a Ohio race. Did the 1973 Sam Griffith race start along the Miami beach ????? Because one of the movies has a GREAT 40+ boat start along the beach.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

h20boater,please,anyone pics of the two Dante's Inferno(#89 and #98) and Black Tornado in 1973?!
Old 12-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You Guys are on to somthing,, Along with the box of all these great pictures I have on loan that I have been posting, there are some super 8 home movies of some 1973 races. In one race it looks like the Captian,, Roger Penske at the wheel of the Sunoco DX at a Ohio race. Did the 1973 Sam Griffith race start along the Miami beach ????? Because one of the movies has a GREAT 40+ boat start along the beach.
H20: Roger used to run with the late great Mark Donahue in that 40, also ran with Magoon and I think maybe Gene Lanham. Jay Signore of IROC fame used to maintain the boat, Jay was also big fan of Aronow and Cig. He had a 28` Cig. maybe even still has it, I bet he does. Aronow was great friends to that whole group, That`s why he had the IROC Camaro`s as well as Magoon, and believe me they had the hot set-ups in those cars, I drove Magoons once and was incredible, wish I had one today to play with. 7XCHAMP

Quick Reply: Back In The Day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.