Notices

Back In The Day

Old 12-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Magnum Book

Hey guys there must be some one who is talented enough to put all that is being gather into some sort of book or disc????
Old 12-13-2007, 11:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Any one remember this Cigarette #777 ROCK A BYE, two of the pic's look to taken at a later date 1975 ? The rear hatch shot looks earlier maybe 1973 ? The pictures must have been taken at a Lake Erie race.
Attached Thumbnails Back In The Day-scan0023ls-7.jpg   Back In The Day-scan0023ls-9.jpg   Back In The Day-scan0032-ls34.jpg  

Old 12-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
Any one remember this Cigarette #777 ROCK A BYE, two of the pic's look to taken at a later date 1975 ? The rear hatch shot looks earlier maybe 1973 ? The pictures must have been taken at a Lake Erie race.
Looks like the old Steve Babbin boat, I think was triple B, I remember racing against him in Key West one year, maybe 1973 or 4 really not sure on date, all I can remember is he took off and left us all in his wake, Not sure if Big Dirty was with him or not, I know one thing nobody was going to catch him on that day, but the otherside was everyone also knew that running that hard he was not going to go very far, and sure enough he went up in smoke. Anyway the colors and number for the boat are correct to be the triple B boat. Marco may be able to help out on this one as well. 7XCHAMP
Old 12-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Mark you have never ceased to amaze me.................Awsome pics..........I think i can almost talk the old man into buying his old bertram....(if we can find it)....
Old 12-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Looks like the old Steve Babbin boat, I think was triple B, I remember racing against him in Key West one year, maybe 1973 or 4 really not sure on date, all I can remember is he took off and left us all in his wake, Not sure if Big Dirty was with him or not, I know one thing nobody was going to catch him on that day, but the otherside was everyone also knew that running that hard he was not going to go very far, and sure enough he went up in smoke. Anyway the colors and number for the boat are correct to be the triple B boat. Marco may be able to help out on this one as well. 7XCHAMP
Small mystery on Rock A Bye and Triple B. Almost surely it deals with the same boat.
Very probably the original version is as Rock A Bye #777 in 1973 for Steve Babin. Then in the same year the boat become Triple B II #555.
Babin raced in 1973 and 1974 alternating himself among the class II and I.

Last edited by Black Tornado; 12-13-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by nocigarette
Mark you have never ceased to amaze me.................Awsome pics..........I think i can almost talk the old man into buying his old bertram....(if we can find it)....
Mike I think your visit to Kevin M helped fire him up in letting me post the family's historic pictures, THANK'S KEVIN & Jack M.
Mike here are some more pic's of the Bertram with it's raised deck that your Dad had.
Attached Thumbnails Back In The Day-scan0047-ls72.jpg   Back In The Day-scan0048-ls74.jpg  
Old 12-13-2007, 06:39 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Richie - #666 - Memco - owner was Sonny Kay -

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
H2O: the Aeromarine boat #666 is actually a Memco copy of the old 32` Bertram model stretched to 36` it was custom made for Carl Kiek. way back, It sat in the barn at Fond du lac for years, I was incorrect in one of my posts when I said it was a pop of the 36` Cig. I know the boat I was there, if you look at the strakes curving up in the front you will see the Bertram lines. Not to be confused with the later 38` Bertrams, totally different beast. I think Gil Lieber had something to do with the project and the actual owner was Sonny ????????? don`t remember last name, but Gil Lieber was close friends with Carl K. and used to visit frequently, I think they got the boat for next to nothing, it was built by Mabry Edwards in St. Augustine. 7XCHAMP
#666 - was a Memco - sister to my boat only shorter - mine was a test boat - 36 - where they moved the strakes -

PHIL
Old 12-13-2007, 06:50 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default haha - not my truck - Bill Gazels -

Phil found another picture of your 36' Bertram, I like your color matching tow truck,, COOL !!
in those days- didnt have enough money to tow it far - that blue wrecker towed it to Cape Cod - where I almost sank it - but still finished with water up to my ankles and the starter motors under water - it was a ONE WAY trip around Cape Cod - and there were not any places to stop - no marinas out there when you round the hook !

Those were the days !

PHIL
Old 12-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 231 Likes on 90 Posts

Mike I think your visit to Kevin M helped fire him up in letting me post the family's historic pictures, THANK'S KEVIN & Jack M.
Mike here are some more pic's of the Bertram with it's raised deck that your Dad had.
If you have a lot of those old pictures and would like the public to see them.....we can give you your own section on HORBA to post them and put an explanation with them.

I think everyone here knows what HORBA is, but just in case

www.historicraceboats.com

We are trying to keep the history of the sport alive...that is exactly what you have here ..photos of boats only a few of still remember.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 231 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mr vinyl
Hey guys there must be some one who is talented enough to put all that is being gather into some sort of book or disc????
Excellent question.....We have over 30,000 images of the sport from the earliest days .....every time we speak to a publisher about doing a book, they all want a big number guaranteed production run...that means Big $$$ up front.

We have been talking about putting together a DVD with stillphotos of the sport by year or by boat brand....say follow Aronow's racing stable as he progressed from the early wooden Claudia to .....The Cigarette.

Would anyone out there be interested enough in buying these kind of DVDs? Phil Lewis used to do a memory tape of stills each year with 100 photos taken from the previous season set to music....he did a very nice job and they were great...maybe something along those lines.

Quick Reply: Back In The Day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.