Notices

Back In The Day

Old 04-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Champ.

Why did one guy have to ride way out back on Coopers boat?
Evidently when they measured the boat they measured from the transom to the nose, so I presume the back of the extension where Daryl sat was considered the end of the transom or the bottom, and they actually added a beak to the nose for the extra few inches needed to be legal. Must be where Reggie got his idea from with the Fountain Beak`s. Cooper ran a monster motor in the thing, when he ran, all you could see was spray, really wet boat, I saw back in the forums that Brownie had gone for a ride in the thing. I was in the race, I think it was Miami Nassau, when they showed up with the boat for the first time, sure got a lot of attention, Cooper was a maniac driving the boat, and poor old Daryl used to hang on to his fake steering wheel for dear life, not sure if it was that race or not, but in one of the race`s, Daryl actually had his clothes ripped off his body, I think he finished in his scivvies.
Bill Cooper also ran the Salton Sea 500`s in the OPC days, semi sponsored by Kiekhaefer Mercury, Think he ran a ron Jones tunnel with triple stacker 135 hp mercs. Complete wild man, and all around great guy, reminded me of another crazy, Roger Hanks with the Blonde boats, that`s another story.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:09 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are PTM Express , Canada Homes and East Coast Marine .
I always wondered what happened to that 32 Superboat . I had heard it was sold to someone in the Middle East .
Attached Thumbnails Back In The Day-cnd.jpg   Back In The Day-ptm.jpg   Back In The Day-ecm.jpg  

Old 04-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts
Default The [Come Again] Nova

Here is a Wellcraft Nova that raced in the mid 70's in the Great Lakes region. The Come Again originally raced with the OMC electric shift drives, but not very well. Sam Altese in 1975 made the change to Volvo drives and then won many races in the APBA class D.
Attached Thumbnails Back In The Day-scan0048-ls76.jpg   Back In The Day-scan0048-ls77.jpg  
Old 04-13-2008, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man those were the good old day's, i remember Sam nice guy. I had a couple of 29 mirage's running around on LSC back in the day. one raced and one played. it was the best of times
Old 04-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SAS M454
Man those were the good old day's, i remember Sam nice guy. I had a couple of 29 mirage's running around on LSC back in the day. one raced and one played. it was the best of times
Did you have the SILVER STREAK. Hope you can make the OLD SCHOOL OFFSHORE REUNION at Jacks [Emerald City Harbor] June 14. I have posts here on the classic site [Reunion] and Magnum owners thread.
Attached Thumbnails Back In The Day-scan0012-ss.jpg  
Old 04-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Registered

That was me. thanks for posting a picture of my old boat it's been a long time since i have seen one. an offshore reunion sounds great i'll make sure i'm there
Old 04-18-2008, 05:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by h2oboater
Jim Talbott a LSCORA member was killed in that incident, he was the second member from our club to die, the first was Walt Burns racing with Steve Baum in there 28' CC XK .
Please, h2oboater can you give us more details on Walt Burns' fatal accident?
When did it occur? What did it really happen?
Thanks.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Nanni
Please, h2oboater can you give us more details on Walt Burns' fatal accident?
When did it occur? What did it really happen?
Thanks.
The race was the 1974 Blue Lagon Classic on Lake St Clair. Walt was racing in Steve Baums 8m Chris Craft [MAVERICK]. I believe a steering part broke and the boat rolled in a turn. The crew were thrown from the boat, and Walt was hit in the head by a deck cleat. This was the first U.S. offshore racing fatality.
Attached Thumbnails Back In The Day-blue-lagoon-1974.jpg   Back In The Day-wb-1.jpg  
Old 04-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by h2oboater
How many remember this Chris Craft, they came out around 1975. A white and red 8 Meter called CC Rider raced in P class back then in the Great Lakes. But their was another one called the Maverick raced by Steve Baum in the sport class back then. It was a White hull with smallblock Mecruiser Tempest engines and the new Trs drives, and it was Fast. But sadly the Maverick rolled over in a turn and killed Walt Burns at the 1975 Blue Lagoon Classic on Lake St Clair. Steve retired the hull, but later used it's basic design to build the Maverick boat's he and Lew Cooper [Miss Gallo] raced.
A friend of mine and I bought the hull mold for the 8 meter Chris when they closed down the Holland Michigan plant, many years ago. We had the great idea to go into the boat building trade without knowing a thing about it. Long story short...it got burned up. I'm still a little bummed!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

This L.S.C. Mirage [Lil' ABNER] just went up for sale on craigslist Detroit. By the looks of the pic's she has held up very well for being 30 years old.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/boa/660132890.html
Attached Thumbnails Back In The Day-lil-abner.jpg   Back In The Day-lil-abner.1.jpg   Back In The Day-lil-abner.2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Back In The Day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.