Notices

Back In The Day

Old 03-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Mark, The planets were finally aligned for you to take her home. Nice story that worked out well.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by wideawake
You collect boats, like I collect wives. Hope you have better luck.
Me too! At least boats dont hire Lawyers!!!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 24degrees
That's a great boat Mark....glad to see you own it!
Aaron I was just going to use it for parts for the Magnum but it to cool to strip. It has these flip up seats, 270T Volvo drives, SS props, & Rocket railer.
Attached Thumbnails Back In The Day-donzi-_0149.jpg  
Old 03-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
Well I did it again, I just had to have Donzi from BACK IN THE DAY..
I saw this 24' Donzi Doral when she was new at Markley Marine here in the Detroit area around 1975. Having owned a 16' Donzi in the past I thought this Doral would be a cool boat to have. She did not stay on the showroom floor long because the dealership went APBA offshore racing with her in the production boat class. They had to cut her windshield off to meet APBA safety standards but other than some racing numbers she was ready to race. This Donzi became P-300 HEAT WAVE raced by Jim Krause. I lost track of her over the years untill I saw her for sale on craigslist two years ago, I knew it was the old HEAT WAVE. I thought it sold but when she popped up again this year I knew I had to have her to add to my collection of old offshore boats. I did not realize how good of shape she was in till I got her home. It needs a good cleaning but it's all there, even the original interior is in very good shape. Other than rebuilding the engines I my have her done this summer. When done I will keep the windshield on but she will have all the old race numbers and name put back
The boat that became the original 24' sonic.. stretched versions became the 26, 28, 30 and 31 sonics...
Old 03-07-2010, 02:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice find Mark, Looks good and should be a easy retro resto !
Old 03-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ViciousOne
Nice find Mark, Looks good and should be a easy retro resto !
The hull gel coat is good, it just needs some work around the deck & rub rail. The biggest question is the unique stringer grid system they used on these Donzi's. Will know more once she comes apart. Dorals aren't known for there speed but 50mph + is fast enuff so she should handel that.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

-------Mark,,,You got it home already??? That sucker looks better than you described. Lets get it done for summer and we can have a DONZI 24 get together!!! Keeping my fingers crossed on the water intrusion. The El P was always kept out of the water and had no problems at all, and yours very well may be the same........Bill S
Old 03-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MidOcean
The boat that became the original 24' sonic.. stretched versions became the 26, 28, 30 and 31 sonics...

It was also the 24' Performer. When I worked for Performer we Had one that had Staggered 540's with #4 Drives and 24"x 24" K-Planes, it went 114mph with the Tabs all the way down, if you let the tabs up it would porpose so bad it would jump 3' out of the water on Glassy water. It was built to outrun Reggie in a race called the Rudee Run, From Richmond Va to Va Beach and Back- 200 Miles. The only boat that beat it was a Turbine V (around 1995) Reggie was 3rd overall but we won the Class. A few years prior we finished 2nd to Reggie in a 24' with a single 540ci and a Bravo, We had fishing poles in the Rod holders
Old 03-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by fastdonzi
It was also the 24' Performer. When I worked for Performer we Had one that had Staggered 540's with #4 Drives and 24"x 24" K-Planes, it went 114mph with the Tabs all the way down, if you let the tabs up it would porpose so bad it would jump 3' out of the water on Glassy water. It was built to outrun Reggie in a race called the Rudee Run, From Richmond Va to Va Beach and Back- 200 Miles. The only boat that beat it was a Turbine V (around 1995) Reggie was 3rd overall but we won the Class. A few years prior we finished 2nd to Reggie in a 24' with a single 540ci and a Bravo, We had fishing poles in the Rod holders
I could not imagine this hull running that fast I'll be happy with 55mph.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Found these news paper pictures in my box of stuff from the June 1983 Detroit River Race. The race was 178 miles for open class & over 100+ miles for Sport, Modified, Production classes. Sadly this would be the last time we could race through the Bellisle bridge & on the upper Detroit river. The first pic is Home town Detroit racers Bob & Rob K in the 33' Active M-588 COUGAR, running next two them, the Shadow cat LOVE IT. In the second picture BIG Bob K was perfecting his wave to the spectators, while Rob [ironhead] sinks lower in his bolster. Next to COUGAR is Butch Ryan's 37' Active cat EXPRESS.
Attached Thumbnails Back In The Day-detroit-1983-h2o.jpg   Back In The Day-detroit-1983-h2o.jpg  

Quick Reply: Back In The Day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.