Notices

Back In The Day

Old 01-30-2014, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil M
I bought the Hull and Deck from Bertram Yacht, in 1975, we put the TRS drives on the 38 Bertram, they were previously used on my 36 ft. Bertram (prototype hull - think it was a Memco 40 cut down, and the strakes were
bolted on, so the width could be changed or tested. - We could never keep the strakes on the boat, - it was sold and went to Southern NJ - to a barn eventually to be made into a pleasure boat) We put the TRS drives on, as it was a matter of Dollars - a whole drive package from Mercury 454's, TRS drives, Borg. 72C transmissions, inner and outer transom plates and drives was a little over Five Thousand dollars for the pair of engines and drives. The Hull and Deck and Hatch cover, as well as the Instrument panel from Bertram was
12,500 back in the day ! That was a race layup too. We never really got to race the boat, The 1976 Hennesy GP in Point Pleasant NJ was to be its first race - we knew we were not the fastest, but the fast ones usually broke down, our thoughts were to compete, and finish, and Money was a major thought in
what we could do. The Boat did start the race, previously to the start the new owner would let young kids
up in the boat to clean etc. - and some one must have stepped on a harness - to make it lose - as during the race the harnes came lose and the engine stopped - Upon the return to the pits after the race - I saw the boat, and its engines being serviced - I asked the Mercury People what happend - they said the engines were fine - Those engines when I sold the boat were 496 - engines built by Roger Munn, great engine builder too !

The trailer you see in the photos was built by my twin brother Peter, two 40 ft. 8 inch I beams were given to us by a close friend, and Peter cut and welded up that trailer - all we had to do was buy the hitch, and the 3 axels and tires - the work was done by my brother - Not bad for a guy that never was a professional welder! That trailer is still around - although the last 6 - 8 feet were removed so the boat could be launched from a
ramp - our thoughts were to have the protection of the steel beams to protect the drives while being trailered.

Many Memories - but this was the end of my racing, and the following year was the beginning of NNRT Productions - which now is BIG SEAS Productions - with Darren and Rich Luhrs.

Phil
Phil,

I speak with kurt often and he is really making your old boat very nice again. I'm wondering if I can purchase and race footage you might have of the Mirage Wolverine racing? I can't seem to find anything here in Detroit and thought you might have something we could buy from you?
PM me if you have anything or can point me in a direction to someone who might?

Thanks much!

Joe[ATTACH=CONFIG]517611[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Back In The Day-img_0434.jpg  
Old 01-31-2014, 03:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I raced Phil's 38' Bertram at Point Pleasant and Cedar Point with Diamond Don and Davy Gilmore. Think about that: Davy Gilmore and me in the same boat. Poor Don..............
Old 01-31-2014, 03:59 AM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Joe,

Contact Darren Luhrs here on OFF or his father Rich Luhrs T2X, they own the NNRT video Library, and I am sure they can put together what you need. Darren has a Photogentic memory, and will be able to know instantly what he has and from all the different videos they have ! Glad to hear Kurt is doing well with the boat !

Phil
Old 01-31-2014, 04:11 AM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Hello phil. Cockpit now opened for 5. Bolters & interior being made up by PPI interiors in sarasota. Will b awesome when done. Will b out this summer for all to see. I will b intouch. Glad to hear you r in good health. Kurt
Old 01-31-2014, 06:40 AM
PHIL
VIP Member

Thanks for the Information Kurt - yes, am feeling much better ! hope all is well on your end ! am looking forward to some photos !
Old 01-31-2014, 03:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Phil M
Thanks for the Information Kurt - yes, am feeling much better ! hope all is well on your end ! am looking forward to some photos !
Phil---continue to feel better!!! Do you think anyone on here would remember this????

Old 01-31-2014, 04:08 PM
Banned

Bobby, I remember that.
Bobby Sheer
Old 01-31-2014, 05:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by topprop
Mark I spoke to Kurt who has the NN3 Bertram and he told me Phil only raced NN one season then sold the boat to Diamond Don who put bottom paint and merlin diesels in the boat and left it in a marina in Chicago. Shortly after Kurt was told Diamond Don died of lead poisoning....aka a gun shot. The boat sat in probate court in Illinois for many years before a guy in Jackson Mi bought it for 3k. He put it in a barn on his property then sold Kurt the boat a few years ago.
Joe is this how it looks today ??
Attached Thumbnails Back In The Day-bertram%2520collage%2520proof.jpg  
Old 01-31-2014, 08:44 PM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Over 9 years now i have owned NNIII
Old 02-01-2014, 01:51 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

I remember it well ! One of two 38 Bertrams Rocky had !

Quick Reply: Back In The Day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.