Where are all the Cobras?

Notices

Where are all the Cobras?

Old 10-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CAL500
Sonny Miller here, MSV,

I designed and built the mold and plug at MSV at 44' of which we took out some hulls at '44 and I had a contract with Joel Halpern for 10 hulls which he used in his Cobra racing team (and some pleasure boats). I also used the same hulls under the name MSV '38, Cobra '38, Celebrity '38 and Fun Marine (Monaco) '38. These are all my designs.
First thing I would want to say that it is a pleasure to have here another interesting name of the offshore classic as you are.
You have spoken of the Tortuga that you have built but you don't speak of the Popeye 44' with Dominic Visconsi in 1973 that it was in rivalry with the Gara-Corsa 40' of Satullo and that it must be destroyed one year later for a fire during a race.
Can you tell us a little of history?
What role did it have Bob Saccenti with MSV?
Old 10-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simon temporarily worked for Joel Halpern and Joel designed the deck of the '38 which is on top of my hull and they went on to win the US Championship with my hull and their deck. The boat was assembled in Hollywood, FL, one block from my shop with Joel's mechanic team. Later they built the '32 Cobras on their own.

The first two hulls were laid up in my glass shop by Guido Marti Foreman and his crew. The third hull (I think) was kevlar handled by DuPont in the same shop.

If you look in the photographs you will see the '38 Cobra/MSV. Simon has always forgot to mention me as the designer of the hull. My contract was with Joel Halpern and Cobra Race Team - nothing to do with Mr. Simon.

I am the sole designer of the '38 hull used by Cobra to build the '38 race boat which became the US1 Champion. There were no changes made by anyone to the bottom of the boat at Cobra Marine OR Jean Claude Simon. Mr. Halpern seeked council from me on the performance of the boat because I had ran some '38 hulls earlier; pleasure and race. My opinion of their deck design at the time it was built was wedged-shaped and may drive the bow down some at high speed. Normally race decks are flat and give some lift. Mr. Joel Halpern became interested in my hull after we won the Benihana Point Pleasant Grand Prix in the La Tortuga at '44 length.

The '38 Cobra hulls were from the same mold as the '44 La Tortuga MSV.

-Sonny Miller
Ok, thanks
I have raced a 38' Cobra with BPM V12 engines in 2002-2004 Powerboat P1 races, the boat was very good in the rough sea but not enough fast with flat sea. The boat was very light for a 38', was the hull in Kevlar?
Patrick
Old 10-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fast Shafts
MSV=Miller, Saccenti(sp?), Varese
I believe Varese passed away in an airplane crash.
Are the molds from the 44 still around? What ever happened to "LaTortuga"?
Thanks for all the information CAL!!!
MSV = Miller, Saccenti, Visconsi

After the Popeye '44 burned in NJ Dominic Visconsi quit racing. Varese bought out Visconsi and we continued with the La Tortuga project.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by caldente
Ok, thanks
I have raced a 38' Cobra with BPM V12 engines in 2002-2004 Powerboat P1 races, the boat was very good in the rough sea but not enough fast with flat sea. The boat was very light for a 38', was the hull in Kevlar?
Patrick
Yes, the hull was kevlar.

IN flat sea the cobra wedge design on the deck I think was causing the bow to be held down. My '38 MSV had flat decks and were faster.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Tornado
First thing I would want to say that it is a pleasure to have here another interesting name of the offshore classic as you are.
You have spoken of the Tortuga that you have built but you don't speak of the Popeye 44' with Dominic Visconsi in 1973 that it was in rivalry with the Gara-Corsa 40' of Satullo and that it must be destroyed one year later for a fire during a race.
Can you tell us a little of history?
What role did it have Bob Saccenti with MSV?
Popeye '44 MSV was built for Dominic Visconsi to replace the '36 Cigarette Popeye we campaigned. Yes, it burned in Point Pleasant, NJ. I was in the boat with Dominic when the turbo exploded and burned to the water-line.

Bob and I were partners and rigged most all of the '38 and '44's. Filippo Theodli helped me sell boats in Europe.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Registered

Popeye '44 MSV was built for Dominic Visconsi to replace the '36 Cigarette Popeye we campaigned. Yes, it burned in Point Pleasant, NJ. I was in the boat with Dominic when the turbo exploded and burned to the water-line.

Bob and I were partners and rigged most all of the '38 and '44's. Filippo Theodli helped me sell boats in Europe.
You know that end made the Cig.36' of Visconsi?
With what engines was equipped the 44' more precisely?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Registered

Yes, the hull was kevlar.

IN flat sea the cobra wedge design on the deck I think was causing the bow to be held down. My '38 MSV had flat decks and were faster.
Before you have spoken to have a contract with Halpern to build 10 hulls 38.'
Were all and ten built?
Then it seems me to understand that you say that Halpern had three 38' two in fiberglass and one in kevlar.
All three called Beep Beep?
All done build in that year?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Charter Member # 302
Charter Member

Is that the same hull that became the 44 Tempest?
Old 10-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Registered

You know that end made the Cig.36' of Visconsi?
With what engines was equipped the 44' more precisely?
Popeye '36 Cigarette damaged and sunk twice was sold to Dizzy Dean Disco in Kingston, Jamaica.

Popeye MSV '44, Dom bought two '42 turbo engines from Flagship Marine, NY. He wanted to try something with more power that was much faster in the seatrials around 100mph.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Registered

Before you have spoken to have a contract with Halpern to build 10 hulls 38.'
Were all and ten built?
Then it seems me to understand that you say that Halpern had three 38' two in fiberglass and one in kevlar.
All three called Beep Beep?
All done build in that year?
Maybe the first three were Cobra Race Boats. The remaining boats which totaled 5 or 6 were pleasure boats Halpern sold with the race deck on them.

There may have been two kevlar boats within that group.

The first raceboat for Halpbern was built in two months and raced right away. It would be halpbern's first race with the Cobra '38 - that will tell you what year.

Quick Reply: Where are all the Cobras?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.