Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
When the Cougar cats were made of wood >

When the Cougar cats were made of wood

Notices

When the Cougar cats were made of wood

Old 07-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After it was stretched to 50', it was successful. They won the Worlds in '93, just before you-know-what...... Interesting fact: John Connor and I rebalanced the boat by 210# of #8 lead shot in the tube which formed the leading edge of the wing.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Registered

Chris, yes it was. I always thought that that was the best running of all big cats of any make, at least back in the day.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
Ten what?

Drinks......
Old 07-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Registered

Allrighty, then!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

i've got to tell ya the most entertaining part of this website for me are the exchanges between T2x and Brownie, great stuff guys. I followed what i could when i was young but to see this side of it is truly a treat.

as far as wood Cougars go when ever their brought up i am reminded of the funniest post is oso history. this is taken from a post about the Fayva crash (glad they were ok)

. . . . . Li'l Fayva magically transformed into an acre of orange plywood in 1 unbelievable second Thanks to our cameraman, about a hundred million people got a firsthand look at our engineering capability.

Lots of the pieces were tethered together by wires and hoses and such, and I towed the whole mess a couple of miles to the beach. There was still one engine and drive intact. It was at that point that we decided to only build raceboats out of materials with a specific gravity of 1+, so that at least, it would have the courtesy to sink.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 07-01-2008 at 09:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
I'CE (07-13-2021)
Old 07-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
i've got to tell ya the most entertaining part of this website for me are the exchanges between T2x and Brownie, great stuff guys. I followed what i could when i was young but to see this side of it is truly a treat.

as far as wood Cougars go when ever their brought up i am reminded of the funniest post is oso history. this is taken from a post about the Fayva crash (glad they were ok)
Idoni had to be the luckiest man on earth that day not only Just surviving with a cracked bone in his leg but the auxiliaries like throttles and shifts had him wrapped with 33C cables Adel clamped to some spruce battens I was amazed they tore out without hurting Bob.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flapjack

I would like a nice pic of this Cougar cat if anyone has 1 I would appreciate it. Thanks Tony
Old 05-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After speed reading this thread (I'm going back for a more comprehensive review) hopefully one of you wisemen can tell me. I apologize in advance for the "oh boy new guy" question.. At what point in time was the change in construction from wood to glass concerning these boats and why following years of glass Vhull raceboat construcion was it even a consideration to use wood. Thanks, love the history!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:06 AM
Registered

In that day, a glass mold meant one boat shape. Speed technology was zooming, and, at least in Class One, every boat was faster than the last one. It didn't go from wood to glass, it went from wood to aluminum. Aluminum would fold up, but never had a catastrophic failure. Cougar never made a "Tupperware" Class one or Superboat.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

In that day, a glass mold meant one boat shape. Speed technology was zooming, and, at least in Class One, every boat was faster than the last one. It didn't go from wood to glass, it went from wood to aluminum. Aluminum would fold up, but never had a catastrophic failure. Cougar never made a "Tupperware" Class one or Superboat.
What about the Active Cat Cougars?

Quick Reply: When the Cougar cats were made of wood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.