Old 03-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
I have the album, never been opened.

I do not have a scanner though..

Here is a crappy photo
That is a picture of the wood Cougar Super Boat, with four motors, notice the Exhaust pipes out the back. I was involved with that boat with Gentry, we converted it to Gentry drive system and four Gentrys, same boat Tom and Connor set the Kilo record in @ 148 mph. Problem we had with the boat is we kept blowing the floor of the tunnel out, in fact the tunnel was broken when Tom bought it. Tom and I attempted to reset the record in Sarasota one year, but due to weather and other problems were not able to do so, I had the boat running over 165MPH at the time, wonder where she is now????
7XCHAMP
Old 03-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
That is a picture of the wood Cougar Super Boat, with four motors, notice the Exhaust pipes out the back. I was involved with that boat with Gentry, we converted it to Gentry drive system and four Gentrys, same boat Tom and Connor set the Kilo record in @ 148 mph. Problem we had with the boat is we kept blowing the floor of the tunnel out, in fact the tunnel was broken when Tom bought it. Tom and I attempted to reset the record in Sarasota one year, but due to weather and other problems were not able to do so, I had the boat running over 165MPH at the time, wonder where she is now????
7XCHAMP
Someone said the boat is in a "Motor Sports Museum" somewhere in the States.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:42 AM
skrap
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rik & Richie,

I believe the 48' cat is in the International Motorsports Hall of Fame in Talladega Alabama and here is the info:

International Motorsports Hall fo Fame
3198 Speedway Blvd.
PO Box 1018
Talladega, Alabama 35161
Telephone (256) 362-5002

Good Luck!!

John
Old 03-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This Is Absolutely The Best Thread I Have Ever Had The Privilage To Read (and See) On This Web Site. Thank You So Very Much.
Stan Ware
Old 03-30-2007, 02:14 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Popeyes
This Is Absolutely The Best Thread I Have Ever Had The Privilage To Read (and See) On This Web Site. Thank You So Very Much.
Stan Ware

Hello Stan - that´s a great compliment. It just goes to show what a fantastic site this is - allowing folks like me who are really just huge offshore fans, to communicate with some of the stars of the sport like you.

Thank the lord for OSO!!! I love it!

ps - any wooden cougar photo´s you want to share with us?!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:38 AM
skrap
Gold Member

Stan,

You probably don't remember me, but I met you through Bill Sirios, who I knew from the Long Shot days,(when Al didn't race after his accident 1981) and Howard Tobeck who drove one of the Popeye's trucks in '84. Howard and I roomed together when we were both with Howard Arneson in '82 & 83. I was just a teenager with the coolest summer job in the world. You, Al, and Bill were some of the nicest guys in the sport and 25 years have past and I'm glad to see you are still racing. I talk to John Crouse all the time, but I bet you could write one hell of a book about you time in offshore racing. Hope you are well, and I look forward to seeing whatever you post on this site.

John
Old 03-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Registered

What happened to Howard Tobeck, must be almost 20 years since I last saw him
Old 03-30-2007, 02:46 PM
skrap
Gold Member

Howard has his own truck in Florida where he transports boats throughout the US. I was visiting with Howard Arneson and he said that Howard Tobeck just stopped by to say hello while he was out delivering a boat in California a few years ago. Where you friends with him? Send me a PM and I'll try to find his info for you.

John
Old 03-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Registered

Default Class 3 Cougar

A class 3 - 4 litre Cougar in build in 1979/80 plus the finished boat, this boat is now in America and about to be restored.
Attached Thumbnails When the Cougar cats were made of wood-img017a.jpg   When the Cougar cats were made of wood-fayanagin-iii-_1983_.jpg  
Old 03-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Registered

Default Kaama

A few last jobs in the yard before shipping in 1979

Quick Reply: When the Cougar cats were made of wood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.