Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Where are the Seahawks? >

Where are the Seahawks?

Notices

Where are the Seahawks?

Old 04-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you going to put on it for power?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by okkarner
This is my 28ft Seahawk project boat I previously mentioned.

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/okkarner/

Cant figure out how to post pics. This is the best I could do.
Blue bottom... I'm about 90% sure that's my old boat. I sold her to Larry Womack of Womack Auto Parts/ Houston Tx back in 83. Back then all race boats were sold on a bill of sale... he converted to a title around 85. Does any of this make sense?

T
Old 04-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about the power yet. I am only 26, I have a family of four to support, no rich parents, and money doesnt grow on trees in oklahoma, so this boat will be built on a budget. I am shooting for 15K. I have to paint it, do complete interior and supply power. I am going to try and do all the work myself and am confident I can do most of it. The rest will be experimenting. I am new to powerboats. I have always had wakeboarding boats. I am thinking twin 250's. Any suggestions?

About the blue bottom, yes it is blue. I think the top got attacked by a spray can at some point. Do you(Midocean) have any pics of when you had it or do you have the HIN #. Then I could verify if it was yours or not. I bought it from Tony Mansfield, who bought it from James Browning, who bought it from Richard Schubert. Thats all I got.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Registered

Also, the wiring is a mess on it. Does anyone know where I could get a wiring diagram for this boat or a universal one for a twin outboard setup? It has a very old looking "circuit panel" if you will with relay after relay after relay under the dash. It looks sort of home made. I would like to maybe gut it and start over. Does someone make a universal wiring harness?
Old 04-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Was the boat an old racer? they used to run twin small blocks and would scream. Sals blue seahawk was pretty fast back then.Good luck with the project if you decide not to keep her put her for sale in Miami someone will show up with cash.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Registered

I don't know if it was a racer or not. Since it is stripped down to the bare hull already it's hard to tell what it was originally it does have an opening going into a bare glass cabin and has a dash with the steering wheel and throttle on same side. That makes me think it wasn't but it is hard to tell what it was originally. You can tell by the cockpit area that it was built to run outboards. I put it on here to try and find out some info on it so if anybody knows anything else please let me know. Everything sofaf has been great. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by okkarner
Also, the wiring is a mess on it. Does anyone know where I could get a wiring diagram for this boat or a universal one for a twin outboard setup? It has a very old looking "circuit panel" if you will with relay after relay after relay under the dash. It looks sort of home made. I would like to maybe gut it and start over. Does someone make a universal wiring harness?
just get the wiring harness for the outboards you use(ebay?) merc, yamaha or which ever.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seahawk 28

this one here is mine,i have it in europe now.it has a big ss marine bracket on it and i will run it with twin 225 yamaha´s.
can anybody tell me more aboat what years these were made and where? i am quite sure that this one is original but i have no paper work on it. what i know is that it was original Red gelcoated with red and white interior. but was painted white before sold to europe from florida area. any help of previos owner or factory will be greatly appriciated
Attached Thumbnails Where are the Seahawks?-billede-005.jpg   Where are the Seahawks?-billede-004.jpg   Where are the Seahawks?-billede-003.jpg  

Old 05-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Registered

Mine is identical to yours. I have searched all over the internet and yours is the 1st I have seen with the same cockpit setup as mine. I posted a thread on performanceboats.com about the history of Seahawk Boats and this is what I got. Dont know if all of it is true or not.

It looks like you've got one of the infamous Seahawk V-bottoms built by Sal Magluta, a well-known Florida offshore racer from the late 1970s to the mid-1980s. Sal and his buddies were very competitive racers, but they did tend to stray to the opposite side of the law from time to time. Interesting reading about Sal and his cohorts (see below) from an article in the Miami NewTimes reported by Jim DeFede, February 12, 1992. While you're doing the resoration, you might want to be on the look-out for any white powdery substance or tightly wrapped water-proof packages perhaps left behind in a concealed bulkhead. Actually, the boats ran quite good, especially in rough water.
Falcon, Magluta, and other competitors gathered at marinas, comparing boats, boasting about their business exploits, and betting on each other's races. Falcon raced under the team name Cougar; Magluta's team was Seahawk.

For a time Falcon and Magluta were among the sport's very best. "They had the best boats, the best equipment," says Marc Mercury, president of the Offshore Power Boat Racing Association. "They were fierce competitors. They were there to win. They would hang it right on the edge, pushing it to the limit. Like my grandmother told me: `If you go to fight to win, you're gonna lose; if you fight to kill, you're gonna win.'"

(The members of Falcon and Magluta's organization all fought hard. Juan Barroso, a navigator aboard Magluta's Seahawk team, was arrested in 1990 after allegedly dumping 548 pounds of cocaine in the waters off Dania Beach in Broward County. Coast Guard agents found the 249 individually wrapped kilo bricks floating in the water. Barroso and another man were found stranded offshore in a disabled $100,000 speedboat. Investigators say that once the boat broke down, Barroso dumped the coke and waited to be rescued. Ten days after being booked into jail and released on bail, Barroso was shot five times when another drug transaction went sour. He survived, only to be arrested once more in May 1991.

Author John Crouse says it was common knowledge within the powerboat racing industry that Falcon and Magluta were involved in drug smuggling. But racing association president Marc Mercury says he knew nothing about their activities until he heard they were fugitives. "It blew me away. I couldn't believe it," says Mercury, who also worked as a stunt man and water stunt coordinator for Miami Vice. "These were the kind of guys that if you were broke down on a highway with a flat tire, they would stop and help change your tire."

One of Magluta's last races took place at Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana, on June 6, 1987. The water was rough, and Magluta, piloting the Seahawk, capsized and sank during the race. After that, says Crouse, "He never came back as a racer."

SOMEBODY'S HEAD
In 1985 Falcon and Magluta were arrested in a Los Angeles sting, after they had set up a multi-kilo cocaine deal with undercover officers. The partners had been conducting their West Coast business under the aliases Wilfred Fernandez (Falcon) and Angelo Maretto (Magluta); they had a complete set of driver's licenses, credit cards, and other identification. Authorities released "Fernandez" and "Maretto" on bail, whereupon Falcon and Magluta promptly left town. A year later, the California police detective who had arrested them was sitting at home, watching the 1986 Miami Grand Prix auto race on television. There on the screen - Maretto! But the announcer was introducing him as Sal Magluta, the reigning powerboat champion, being thanked by race organizers for helping to sponsor the annual event.

By August 1987, the last of Falcon and Magluta's appeals from their 1979 conviction was denied in the U.S. Court of Appeals in Atlanta. Faced with the prospect of turning themselves in, the pair went into hiding, traveling around the country, investigators say, often winding up in New York and Las Vegas. But their base of operations remained in South Florida.

On March 30, 1988, Magluta's luck seemed to have run out for good, when he bumped into an old classmate from high school. Jorge Plasencia, a Metro-Dade Police detective, had stopped at Dolphin Office Products, at 300 NW 27th Ave., with his partner, Alex Alvarez, to pick up a new note pad and journal. Magluta was there to buy ledgers and other office supplies.

Plasencia, who was a year behind Falcon and Magluta at Miami Senior High, remembers the pair as being very popular in school. "Everyone wanted to be around Sal and Willy," he recalls. Magluta, he says, was outgoing and personable; Falcon was a track star. "Willy was well-known for being a speedster," he says.

"He didn't remember me," recalls Plasencia, who was aware when he saw Magluta that he was wanted in connection with the 1979 drug conviction. Magluta used his "Maretto" alias when confronted by the two cops outside the store, Plasencia recounts, and provided the same false ID he had given California officials three years before. "But we knew him," says Alex Alvarez.

At the police station, Magluta acknowledged his identity and said he was aware that he was wanted. Initially, he was held in the Metropolitan Correctional Center, then transferred to the South Florida Reception Center for prisoners. While he was in custody, DEA agent David Borah even paid a visit to ask Magluta a few questions in connection with his agency's ongoing investigation. Magluta had no comment.
The following users liked this post:
Scuderia Cuba (01-23-2023)
Old 05-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Registered

Your boat is looking good. Did it have a large compartment in the floor of the cockpit? Mine does. I am not sure what it was used for. There is no kind of hoses or rigging going to it. What are your plans for a wind shield? I am going to do a low fiberglass one.

Quick Reply: Where are the Seahawks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.