Notices

Carl Kiekhaefer

Old 04-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah. We built a yellow 28 Donzi for Dinny Phipps, major sackholder in Holman Moody in '66. He put in a pair of the SOHC (not the 496 Can Am). Unfortunately, they were not able to counterrotate one engine, and the last time I ever saw it, it was running on its side about half way to Cat Cay, with driver Chuck Daigh hanging on for dear life. When I was GM of Holman Moody Marine in '72 '73, we had a warehouse with about a hundred of those two engines, all 3 F40 Ford cars from Daytona and Le Mans, the Holman Moody Honker, #27 Can Am car that Andretti drove, Big Red, the Ford Turbine truck, the Ferrari Daytona that Brock Yates and Dan Gurney drove in the last Cannonball, a turbine Trailways bus that I drove at the Dearborn Proving Grounds (I was one of only two outside Turbine engineers for the ill fated Ford Turbine), and vintage stock cars up the ass. If I knew then what I know now.......... We sold the F40's running for $24G's each. One was just resold for half a mil. S**t!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, I didnt think about the reverse rotation
issue. Thats probably one great thing about the invention of
outdrives. I wonder, can you put a super charger on a reverse
rotation engine?
Old 04-17-2007, 04:04 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
Yeah. We built a yellow 28 Donzi for Dinny Phipps, major sackholder in Holman Moody in '66. He put in a pair of the SOHC (not the 496 Can Am). Unfortunately, they were not able to counterrotate one engine, and the last time I ever saw it, it was running on its side about half way to Cat Cay, with driver Chuck Daigh hanging on for dear life. When I was GM of Holman Moody Marine in '72 '73, we had a warehouse with about a hundred of those two engines, all 3 F40 Ford cars from Daytona and Le Mans, the Holman Moody Honker, #27 Can Am car that Andretti drove, Big Red, the Ford Turbine truck, the Ferrari Daytona that Brock Yates and Dan Gurney drove in the last Cannonball, a turbine Trailways bus that I drove at the Dearborn Proving Grounds (I was one of only two outside Turbine engineers for the ill fated Ford Turbine), and vintage stock cars up the ass. If I knew then what I know now.......... We sold the F40's running for $24G's each. One was just resold for half a mil. S**t!
Brownie:

1966 Around Long Island Marathon..... You were running a big Magnum for Phipps, I think......

At the awards party that night at the Laguardia Hilton, you, Wishnick, Rautbord, and a few others kept yelling out something like "I'm a turtle!!!!" Do you recall, what that meant?

T2x
Old 04-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

T2x, Old fellow, we won the race in the 28' Donzi "Broad Jumper". Bobby Weichbrodt, Peter Rittmaster (President of Bertram) and me. The Turtle Club is well known among bon vivants. No matter where you are, if someone asks if you are a turtle, you must reply "You bet your ass I am". If you do not, you must buy a round for the house. We were invited to Gracie Mansion for dinner two nights before the race. I was speaking before about 100 people, when someone shouted it from the back of the room. Before I could answer, the Mayor yelled, "You bet your ass I am!"
Old 04-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow you guys should all get together and write the story of offshore racing from the cockpit point of view. The stories are amazing..................
Old 07-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Nigel: I am working on nameing the street after Don, It is part of the project I am involved in about his life in a documentary that will be presented at this years Cannes film festival, Jerry Jacoby and myself are working together to also put a Bahamas 500 race together in his honor. Sorry can`t say more now but will keep everyone abreast of things as we progress. 7XCHAMP
Forgive me if this is covered on another thread somewhere Richie, but any update on this topic?? your No.1 european fan!
Old 07-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Carl Kiekhaefer Iron Fist

Agree with Brownie on Mr Kiekhaefer,if you have not read the book on him" Iron Fist" do so it really gives insight into the man who built our industry. Great reading hard to put it down. Bud
Old 07-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Registered

One of the reasons I was a huge fan - he not only sent me the patches and various bits of literature, but he took the time to sign the letter himself..........
Attached Thumbnails Carl Kiekhaefer-kiekhaefer-letter.jpg  
Old 07-31-2007, 10:26 AM
Registered

(to a 14 year old kid that meant the world). RIP Carl!!!
Old 07-31-2007, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I would have made Carl proud
Attached Thumbnails Carl Kiekhaefer-drymartini.jpg  

Quick Reply: Carl Kiekhaefer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.