Active Cats Back In The Day

Notices

Active Cats Back In The Day

Old 04-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by racesdad
At Sometime, Someone Thought It Was A Good Idea To Put Sand As Ballast In The Front, Till All The Bags Broke Open. Guess Who Had To Remove 200lbs Of Sand From The Front Bulkhead?
Me
racesdad.....great story !!! Did you happen to notice any custom graphics up in front of the boat when you were de-sand-bagging it? Something glassed into the bottom of the deck....I think stbd side?

How many seasons did you guys race her? Did it have the bustle (tunnel extension) on it w/Merc standoff boxes? Also, any idea who the previous owner was?

When the boat first showed up in Calif, the transom and tunnel bottom where blown out pretty well. The 1990 Worlds must have been hella rough !!!!

Great to hear from you.

Mike
Old 04-28-2007, 03:17 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

we crashed it on the outside leg in key west. i was on the team for the 89 season. i dont remeber anything in there, wasnt in long. it was a little warm in there so i didnt look around to much. what was it? red crain, bob kaiser, i believe it was daddy cool too maybe? good old boat though
mike
Old 05-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Talked to Red Crain this week owner of the Chrysler Laser Active cat, and by many other names. As far as he rembered his cat was used for a movie, but did here rumors later that it did race again. He did see his old trailer in Key West, the boat that was on it was not his old cat. The one thing that his Active cat had different was a hatch on the deck of the tunnel for safety equipment. Red said the he had hoped the cat would never race again because of all the damage it had from all the years he raced it. The bottom of the tunnel was repaired many times, and sank once. One time with Bob Kaiser [before he was Mr Top Gun] driving at the North Port Race in Michigan they spun out and blew the tunnel out again. But this cat has had a colorful past, at one race Tom Gentry ask Red if he would race in Superboat class to compleat the field, to make it legal Tom gave him one of his spare turbo motor to run the race, the Referee was not happy but it was now a Superboat. Back then Red would do anything to make a race, and help pay the bills. It was known as Red's rent a cat, but Red said it never had the Wolverine name on it. Red started racing back in 1973 racing his Mom's Chris Craft XK 22' he was a caricature then and still today, a Good Friend.
Attached Thumbnails Active Cats Back In The Day-scan000199.jpg   Active Cats Back In The Day-scan000299.jpg