Notices

540 Efi

Old 06-16-2007, 08:52 AM
aex
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 540 Efi

Started disassembling my boat for the resto . Still looking for spare efi boxes and engine harnesses .
This boat ran almost 130 in sea trials with wrong props and arcing spark plug wires , I think when completed this vessel will raise some eyebrows .
I am trying to sell the IV small shaft drives , gimbals , boxes and steering as a package . It is all in good shape and would be ideal for someones project . I am using big shaft Merc V drives I've had in storage from my racing days .
Old 06-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could always use modern ECUs and have them inside the old ECU Boxes...old electronics aren´t anything to prefer IMO.
Not even in a restoration.
And Looking forward to the numbers you´ll get with it once it´s sorted out but remember take it easy on the old girl.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:20 PM
aex
Registered

540 efi

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
You could always use modern ECUs and have them inside the old ECU Boxes...old electronics aren´t anything to prefer IMO.
Not even in a restoration.
And Looking forward to the numbers you´ll get with it once it´s sorted out but remember take it easy on the old girl.
Mikey , I don't want to deal with tuning new computers , however , I may just do that . The electronics are working fine now . If I found suitable suitable spares that would be great , if not no problem .
The rebuild will include replacing bulkheads , grid work , stringers and transom with foam / carbon / epoxy reinforcements and also adding a stringer in the fuel tank area Chris Craft left out .
This hull is foam cored , most Chris Cats were balsa . Taking it easy is not an option , we are all good guys who become villains when we strap into one of these toys .
After beating one to near death I now know this hulls deficiencies and intend to correct them without adding excessive weight .
Thanks for your input , I'll post some photos when the glass work commences . Jim
Old 06-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Registered

There´s a couple of those 500 EFI´s converted in Sweden to modern EFI (Haltech).
Old 06-23-2007, 09:42 AM
aex
Registered

Default 540 Efi

I wonder who made those boxes for Merc ? They may just be marinized Haltechs . A friend who ran a few open class boats told me the Merc electronics are very reliable .
Merc must have had different programing for their 500 open motors . The 540 versions must have been for superboats , hot pleasure boats , or that E class ( my Chris was originally numbered and raced as E 27 by Stuart Hayim and I think Joe Imprescia ) . They had the best of everything on this boat including beautiful , classic graphics I would't dare change , I did however add canopies for the 1990 season .
I changed to 500 inch carb motors to run APBA D class , E class had been eliminated .
I think in the mid 80s the mechanical injected 500 cube versions were rated at 800+ then they went to EFI rated at 850+ and finally the big chief versions which were rated 900+ .
I will definitely dyno them prior to installation to make sure the EGT is within range . I've melted a piston or two in my day and don't intend to repeat that feat .
Old 06-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Registered

put an up close picture of the ECU´s and lets start looking around.