Notices

540 Efi

Old 05-05-2007, 10:41 AM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 540 Efi

I am restoring a boat powered by twin Merc 540 EFI . I remember Merc 500 EFI open class motors but not these . The merc tags on bellhousing match the block #S so they must be a Merc product . The Brodix BB 2 cyl heads are marked Kevin Self Racing . I spoke with them and was told they did heads for Merc Racing years ago .
Does anyone have any info on these motors ? Specs ? Who built them ? What were the original cams ? Spare EFI boxes ? Harnesses ?
There was an old E class perhaps only in the NPBA , and I think thay ran these motors .
I was told when I bought my Chris Cat in 1988 , numbered E - 27 that she previously had these motors .
I repowered to run D and had no interest in those motors back then . ( E class had been eliminated )
I just fired them up and they sound great . I'd like to freshen this set up and come up with some spares .
Hey Charlie M , do you know anyone that played with these motors ? I think they are mid to late 80S vintage , but not sure .
Please Help !
Old 05-05-2007, 11:14 AM
aex
Registered

Default 540

Here are some photos .
Attached Thumbnails 540 Efi-efi.bmp   540 Efi-ccat2.bmp  
Old 05-08-2007, 12:59 PM
aex
Registered

Default Please Help !

Anyone have any info or leads on this matter ?
Old 05-08-2007, 02:04 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts

never seen it......and if it was any good there would probably be a bunch of them out there.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aex
Anyone have any info or leads on this matter ?
I have seen many of those motors. They were pure race motors, probably about 11.5:1 compression, race fuel motors. I can`t recall any of them that were put into a non racing boat at the time. Since they are 540`s I would say they were some left overs from the Miami New York record run we did back in 1982 or 3 ?????? Most all the boats used that combination, I ran a 46` Scarab triple V-bottom, did a lot of testing at Lake X to figure fuel loads, burns etc. Then last minute switched to the Gentry Turbo. motors. Most all the motors built at the time were 500 cu in motors to meet the open class rules, so the 540`s you have are great motors, Motors were configured from High deck GM performance blocks, usually we ran Brodix Heads, open chamber, incanel valves, Cranks were either Hank the Crank or Moldex, rods were Carillo. Motors should be bullet proof, I think we turned them 5,800 rpm. Randy Garcia over at Cobra engines in North Miami has all the parts you will ever need for them, Motors should also have the dual oil cooler bell housings. If so make sure you pressure check the coolers real well, probably should be replaced. Enjoy the motors, they are some of the best ever built. 7XCHAMP
Old 05-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
never seen it......and if it was any good there would probably be a bunch of them out there.
Every race boat from the early 1980`s to mid 1990`s ran those motors, all were custom built by Merc. The EFI versions were the latest motors, before that they were all hi press, mechanical fuel injection dating back to the early 1970`s. Trust me there were a lot of those motors around. Probably they are the equivalent of the popular 500 EFI `s of today. Only main difference they were twice the motors of today`s motors, each one was entirely hand built. 7XCHAMP
Old 05-08-2007, 07:35 PM
aex
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
[QUOTE=t500hps;2120719]never seen it......and if it was any good there would probably be a bunch of them out there .

Actually , merc built many of this type 500 inch open class motor with symmeric port heads that made as much as 950 HP normally aspirated in the early 90s .
The 540 inch old style head motors are still exotic , make a ton of torque and sound insane .
I guess you just need to know how trick and reliable these units are to appreciate them . They are not for everyone , and are era correct for my boat .
Thanks 7X Champ for the info . You know the virtues of this induction system .
Old 05-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look like Can Am motors! They also look a lot like the photo of the motor that Top Banana is putting in the Benihana Cig. Beautiful stuff.

AEX, your boat is going to be amazing when the resto is done. I love seeing all this vintage heavy metal (and plastic!) come out of hibernation.

Is that a Kinsler injector set up that was converted to EFI?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:28 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts

Made in early to late 80's....I was still in school and messing around with my Dad's bassboats. That explains why I haven't seen them. Hope they work out as well as they apparently did back then.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:31 PM
aex
Registered

AEX, your boat is going to be amazing when the resto is done. I love seeing all this vintage heavy metal (and plastic!) come out of hibernation.

Thanks . This boat is not as old or rare as some of the boats other members are restoring , but it represents my time . It is a 1986 Chris Cat . I am restoring the to it's original American Express / D 19 livery . I won a few races in this hull .
Most of these boats were balsa cored , however mine was foam cored and a little lighter than the norm .
I think in the late 80S I was the only guy turning big blocks 7800 RPM against the advise of many experts and had good luck with my short stroke engine combo . We had to run cast exhaust manifold single 4 barrel 500 inch motors . Back then I payed $ 1200 for custom 1150 Dominator carbs that flowed 1380 cfm and big bucks for titanium valves . These were mandatory to pull the revs .
The injected motors make a ton of torque and run really well . They were legal in the E class of the mid 80s and were original to my boat .
I am doing a stem to stern restoration / rerig , including carbon fiber reinforcements and replacement of wood transom and stringers .
Work will be concluded for next season . I can't wait . And yes those are Kinsler manifolds Merc converted to EFI .
Still looking for spare computers , harnesses etc .

Quick Reply: 540 Efi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.