Notices

73 Monza 30

Old 09-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73 Monza 30

My name is Phil Zisakis, I am a new guy but have been lurking for a little while. Nice to meet all of you. My hat is off to you folks for the great forum.

Today I go look at a 1973 Monza 30' undertaker. It isn't far and if the project isn't to far over my head, I hope to come home with it. It still is set up as a race boat with 2 small blocks and what I think are speedmasters, but the guy isn't sure. It is in pieces but I love it.

Any words of wisdom you guys would be of great help. The name painted on the boat is "Insatiable". It also has "World record holder 1973" painted on the side boasting 68.5 mph.

Thanks for the help.

Phil Zisakis
Old 09-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Registered

Phil, I think there was some other discussion about the boat in this section. You're a Southern CA guy too huh? If you need anything, there are a few very good shops around that don't advertise much and the SCOPE guys are a great bunch of guys who are knowlegable hand helpful.

Good luck!
Old 09-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Registered

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...150875&page=21

Just a breif mention of it. Seems like if H2Oboater doesn't know it, then it probably didn't run much on the east coast.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Registered

We'll I just got back. The boat was 26 not 30 and no title to the home made trailer. The drives were volvo 270's and the small blocks were nothing special.

Here is the story, some of which I made up or guessed. The owner or partner or whoever I was dealing with knew less about the boat than I did, and I don't know much. The previous owner, or perhaps a couple owners back, moved the fuel tanks out of the nose, then installed new tanks in the cockpit floor. I think this made the boat light in the nose and it had trouble planing. Then they figured they would just remove the dash and 3 man bolsters and install the front seats 2 1/2 feet forward. After removing all the original race stuff, there was a brush fire that blistered the paint on the right side. Then was sold after being totaled.

The wheeler dealers that have it now have a few other items for sale that appear to be from the same fire sale. He got a little bent when I pointed out the missing four feet. I checked the title and it is indeed a 26'. The ebay add has still not been changed. Did Monza produce a 30' in '73?

With all it's flaws and misrepresentaions, I still really like this boat....alot. I doubt if they will be able to pass it off as a 30 to anybody else. I was thinking about coming back with a offer about 25% less than before. Keep in mind it does not run, drives are suspect but are not too corroded. I figure it will cost about the same restore as a larger boat. I realize it will not sell for as much as a larger boat would when finished if I decide to upgrade. The boat is rough, the pics on ebay make the boat appear better than in person. Alot of the cool stuff is missing but it isn't so far it couldn't be brought back.

Any thoughts? I think I will try to buy her after the ebay hubub is over. Anybody else look at her?

Dude! Sweet! I live in Midway City. I would appreciate the help with some local shops.

Phil Zisakis

Last edited by Scenicruiser; 09-11-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Midway City? You are neighbors up Beach Blvd north of Dude and me. I saw this boat and added to my "watched items" list. I figured that someone was shiesty with their description. Good detective work. See ya around HB.

Hugh
Old 09-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I knew Monza made a 26' & 19' boat , but a 30' ??? There was a 26' here in Michigan that raced back in the day with twin jet drive's called The Chief. If it doesn't feel right than walk away, there is always another one out there.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:49 AM
Registered

As my hydrodynamically opportunistic friend said, we're real close! Comparatively, neigbors. #1 Recommendation for boat repair guys is Matt Brayton at Mobile Marine Service here in HB. Super guy, knowlegable, really fair prices and not full of crap. What else can you ask for?

Paul Pfaff is a great guy too, but his place is a bit spendy. Same with Mark at Prescision (working out of the back of Conrad's place now).

Shoot me an email at pai_racing"at"hotmail.com and I'll give you Matt's number.

I agree 100% with H20's comments. I was looking at a vintage race boat for a bit (I got back on my medication and bought something that I could actually drive and enjoy instead ). Charlie McCarthy had some really good leads on some nice old school heavy metal (Betram 38 Comp, LS Scarab, etc.) for pretty reasonable prices, relatively speaking. The boat's are around, you just have to know who to ask.

I'm no expert on this stuff, but I will still throw my two cents out there. No matter what you restore, whether it be a no-name Monza or a Benihana boat, you're basically going to put in the same amount of time and effort and cash into the restoration. Race history is going to have at least as much to do with what the boat is worth as the quality of the restoration when the boat's done. So, given two boats in similar condition, one with real history and one with questionable history, or no history, you'd be better off sinking equal dollars into the boat that had been there and done that.

Like I said, when I was looking, I think Charlie came up with at least 3 boats right off the top of his head. And I'm betting that every one of these guys like H20Boater, Brownie, 7XChamp, T2X knows where at least one old race boat is (and more likely at least 4) sitting, waiting for someone to give a crap about it again.

Last edited by Dude! Sweet!; 09-12-2007 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:52 AM
Registered

Oh and my suggestion, if you really think you have to have this boat... Wait a couple of months and then offer to tow it away for free!

Good luck dude!
Old 09-12-2007, 08:22 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet!
Oh and my suggestion, if you really think you have to have this boat... Wait a couple of months and then offer to tow it away for free!

Good luck dude!
AGREED!
You'd have to bring it back to original, including 3man and fuel tanks where they should belong.
If you don'tLOVE this boat (which it does seem you dont) i'd pass. We're not talking $20k to get it where it belongs. Lot more.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Auction closed @ $5100. Reserve not met.
The seller truly believes that this boat is a winning piece of history. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 73 Monza 30

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.