Classic or Just an Old Boat

Notices

Classic or Just an Old Boat

Old 09-24-2007, 06:46 PM
DTD
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Classic or Just an Old Boat

Been watching this forum for a while and had to jump in. I have been casually looking for a boat and came across the following:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/boa/430563087.html

Boat looks good (especially at $3500), what do you think? Is it worth pursuing and if so what questions should I ask? I bet there are a bunch of hours - about how many before a rebuild?

Obviously I am new to this, so any help is appreciated

Paul
Old 09-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Registered

DTD, Looks nice but probably under powered. Whats important to you? What do you want to do? It won't be very fast maybe 40 mph.
Jim
Old 09-25-2007, 02:09 PM
DTD
Registered

Guess I am looking for something seaworthy, but also restorable/upgradable. I thought an older, quality built boat might be a good project. Speed isn't a beginning priority, but having a boat that could handle engine work/upgrade would be good. Also would need a cabin for the kids.

I can work on most anything except the powertrain. Obviously from my first post, money is an object. Not sure if I should take on a project or just save for something newer.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Registered

Wow , $3500 seems like a great price. You can`t go wrong with a Formula. They are a very well respected name, both in the performance boat world and in the cruiser world.

It`s in the water, no trailer ... I would want to inspect the bottom for blisters. See if you can find someone who is experienced in checking the stringers and transom for rot and bring them along.

If it all checks out and engine / drive seem good, I`d buy it.

Of course, you`ll need a trailer too.

If you buy it and want to upgrade to a newer boat later, that one should be easy to sell, if you don`t dump a bunch of money into it.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can save yourself $300 and buy it on Ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-...QQcmdZViewItem

I suspect that money will come in handy.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:11 PM
DTD
Registered

Thanks for the info Robert. At least I got more pictures to consider. Think I will watch Ebay for a while and see if anyone bids. Looks like this boat has been on the market a while...hmmm...
Old 09-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Registered

Smile

DTD , the boat seem like a good deal to me .It's definitely underpowered with a SB because it's a heavy boat, but would be easy to swap to a BB . Many came with either twin small blocks or a single BB . Friend of mine had one with twin SB's and it handled rough water awesome.
I like the 25' Formula Liberator model with an 8' beam for performance .The real screamer would be the 233 Interceptor with twin 260HP small blocks .Try to find one of those ! The transom and stringers would be my only concern with the boat that age .My friend's Formula looked exactly like this , his was yellow on the sides.

Last edited by spectras only; 09-27-2007 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The transom and stringers would be my only concern with the boat that age .
If $3500 is a stretch to buy the boat, you are better off renting a boat when you want to go out. Or better yet, having a friend with a boat. My only concern in a boat of that age is the transom, stringers, cockpit floor, engine, manifolds, wiring and outdrive. Boating is expensive. It's very hard to make it not so. Sorry to be a party pooper.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by spectras only
DTD , the boat seem like a good deal to me .It's definitely underpowered with a SB because it's a heavy boat, but would be easy to swap to a BB . Many came with either twin small blocks or a single BB . Friend of mine had one with twin SB's and it handled rough water awesome. If it is a 26 , than most likely a Formula model with a wider beam . I like the 25' Formula Liberator model with an 8' beam for performance .The real screamer would be the 233 Liberator with twin 260HP small blocks .Try to find one of those ! The transom and stringers would be my only concern with the boat that age .

you're getting confused. formula didn't make the liberators, i believe that was four winns.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Registered

Cool

Sleeper Dave , Formula had Liberator models before Four Winns started calling theirs .The 261 and 241 Four Winns Liberators are nice !Four Winns also made a cool all red 211 Liberator !

Last edited by spectras only; 09-26-2007 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Classic or Just an Old Boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.