Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Found an old 36 Cigarette raceboat today. >

Found an old 36 Cigarette raceboat today.

Notices

Found an old 36 Cigarette raceboat today.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 636 Likes on 259 Posts

Hey Marco

Sorry to not meet up with you.I ran out of time ,kinda running on my girlfriends schedule and she had some old friends that came to Milan so i was not able to get back down south.
I will definitely be back again.If you are ever coming to the states let me know.Private message me an Email address so i can contact you to see how the old Cigarette is progressing.

7XChamp

Thanks for another great story. Those must have been some incredible times.I didn't know racers were paid so well back then to be able to stay at the Villa D' Este?

I assumed you had a rich Italian girlfriend.

I thought that i read something a while ago that you were working with Aeromarine on a new design of engines.

Leaving for Florida in the morning.

Gotta go.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:56 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the history.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Tommymonza: I lived in Italy for approx. three years during the racing season, then in Miami in Off season. Our racing started for the UIM World Championships in Jan. in South America with three races. Mar Del Plata, Argentina. Punta Del Este, Uruguay. And finally Santos to Rio De Jenaro. Incidentally under UIM rule all races had to be a minimum of 180 Nautical Miles in length, and generally were approx. 200 statute miles. From South America we went to Europe where we raced approx. two races in France, Italy, England, Spain, Sweden. Yugoslavia, Cape town, S. Africa, Australia and America. Most countries had additional races for Italian, South American, and European championship points similar to running for a USA championship, so our seasons were packed with plenty of racing, sometimes as many as 15 to 18 races in a season. Most hectic week was always Viareggio on Sat. Atlantic City on Wed. and France on Sat. When I raced with Martini and Rossi we had a total of four boats stationed around the world, we had close to 30 engines with drives all over the world in various stages of rebuild, which we did after every race. Every time we raced a boat the engines, drives etc. were pulled and and fresh installed. I was the team mgr./throttleman etc. As professional`s we earned our pay, which was very good. To answer your question, yes I did see much of the world, and was able to enjoy the travels. I managed to fly the Concorde four times, Always stayed in the best Hotels, and flew in a lot of Lear jets. I attended the Formula One race in Imola, and was a guest of Enzo Ferrari, I was in the Ferrari pits during the race, and actually talked with Enzo about offshore racing. Did the same thing with Jackie Ickyx and Collin Chapman at the Formula one race in Argentina, Flew from America to Argentina with Mario Andretti, and Mark Donuhue who were racing in Formula One at the time. Collin Chapman was trying to figure out how to put four Cosworth engines in the race boat. I have met many famous people and traveled in the life style of the rich and famous. It was great, in Europe we were stars and heros, kids used to chase us for autographs, pictures etc. the Europeans had a true love and respect for offshore racing, and there heritage of the Sea. I think the Americans took it for granted, and still do. We really have no history of Offshore, sorry to say. Enjoy your travels, imagine having the responsibilities of traveling and racing in Europe and all the logistics, it will give you a taste of what we were all about.
Incidentally, I am the general Mgr. of Motion/Monza. I worked with Eloy for 2.5 yrs manufacturing and selling Monza`s and now back again. 7XCHAMP Richie

Sounds like you were living the life. I agree w/ you. There are no offshore powerboat professional racers now. I think JT was the most recent professional racer and Tres M. It's all fun and games now. No Hall of Fame , nothing marketed , etc. Allweiss had it going in the right direction but it got ripped away. I don't see it ever getting back to the days of professional racing.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Registered

Any news on the 36 MARCO?
Old 08-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Any news on the 36 MARCO?
Speaking of which Cig 36'?
Old 08-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Registered

The one in Switzerland.The Cigarette
Old 08-22-2008, 05:43 AM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

anyone here know how to contact Walter Ragazzi ? if so - please PM me -

PHIL
Old 08-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Registered

The one in Switzerland.The Cigarette
I know the first 36' built former Black Tornado but it is not in Switzerland.
Even if they miss few kilometers to the border the yard of Abbate it is always in Italy.
Do you speak of that?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Registered

That is the one
Old 08-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Registered

That is the one
Unfortunately I don't have news of that. I have not been anymore to the yards Abbate.
I strongly hope that someone buys that boat and he restores it in the original livery.
It would be a serious misfortune that a so great piece of history of the Offshore is goes destroyed.
You think that it is the first hull of 36' built by the Cigarette in the 1970.
Him anything else other than it was the hull #2 it was the Aeromarine I of Bob Magoon but that unfortunately it was cut and lengthened some years ago from the BAM Marine and it won't return more original.
I fear however that also this of Abbate must be lost because I have noticed a total indifference.
To think that the price must be very low.
The more expense must be the restauration.
But still the hull was under good conditions.
But the time passes....

P.S. the boat is that of my avatar

Last edited by Black Tornado; 08-22-2008 at 11:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Found an old 36 Cigarette raceboat today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.