Notices

Buzzi

Old 01-22-2009, 12:37 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Motori Moderni (aloni , SCAM) motors were homoligated 30 engines for class 1 by E. Polli. They were supercharged originally then turboed 2.9 ltr 1250 hp. originally made for F1 used by Larrouse. We had a NA version in a supercar done by Dome of Japan call the Caspita for Fuji heavy industries(subaru). Car #2 had a Judd v10.

The first SDA was an Atzori 44 ft bearcat aluminium. 4 engine\ 4 Weismann 2-speed transmissions \4 Stain surface drive.

The second boat was the 45 ft SDA done by Peter Bircket.

1st 4 engine\ 4 2-spd \ 2 combo drop \ 2 kiekaffer 6

then 4 engine \ 2 combination box \ 2-2pd\ 2 kiekaffer 6 drives

then 4 engine\ 2 drop\ 2-spd \2 arneson

Then 3 spd

Then composite hull 45 ft

Then 50ft Tencara. 4 engine /2 drop / 2 3spd / 2 bpm

Program ended in flames in Ostend 1st run of the 50 Tencara.

Very quick boat in 1989, 144 mph first test, my first cat ride in the 44 bearcat. Curtis in Bagutta 117mph

The closest it came to finish a race was in Malta in 93 and it ran out of fuel. Frustraiting program very ahead of its time. We did a test in St tropez at midnite saturday before the race. WOT in the dark 150 plus.......Lino throttling Eduardo driving, Moreno in the back seat. We had flashlights taped to lino's helmet so he could see the guages. All we saw from the chase boat was the rear white nav light going up and down with the swell... very sureal.

pat W
Attached Thumbnails Buzzi-pictures-patrick-016.jpg   Buzzi-pictures-patrick-017.jpg   Buzzi-pictures-patrick-018.jpg  

Last edited by shifter; 01-23-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:46 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

more pics

pat W
Attached Thumbnails Buzzi-pictures-patrick-015.jpg   Buzzi-44-bearcat.jpg   Buzzi-rainbow-bears-_1993_.jpg  

Old 01-22-2009, 01:08 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

pat W
Attached Thumbnails Buzzi-sdaa.jpg   Buzzi-pat5-009.jpg   Buzzi-pictures-patrick-009.jpg  

Old 01-22-2009, 01:21 AM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Pat, you have some of the coolest toys ever to play with and build, and other people pay for it! nice
Old 01-22-2009, 12:16 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Sometimes they pay for it. We do these programs from scratch so they never pay what it is worth. There is always the hope of production but in reality none of these guys want what the other guys have so we design something new.

You are right I do get to play on some cool stuff. If it was not fun we would not do it.

pat W
Old 01-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bearcat info request

Can you tell us `shifter` who built the Bearcat.Was it stain if Atzori designed it or is Bearcat a trade name.What races did it run in and in what years,or was that just Malta 93.Polli had the Birkett cat in 90/91,so was this another cat for the same period.I`ve never seen pics of the Bearcat before.
Any details on the 45ft composite cat.
By the way that 50ft Tencara caught fire at Ostend not Malaga.The photo is Ostend 93.I should know,I took it.No problem,nice to see the Boatmad website is looked at in the U.S.
Apparently that was its only ever run out,in the Monday practice after the Sunday race had been aborted due to spectators on the course making the turn marks difficult to see.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:21 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Fausto Atzori of Torino, Italy company name is Victory Stain. Fausto made the Stain drive, fix shaft with plastic bushing support and sometimes a semi-shrouded prop with a rudder as a part of the shroud. He made boats like Babycreshi, Achilli, Mitsubishi TV and the Virgin transatlantic boat. I am not sure if he did the whole transatlantic boat but he did have the drives on it for sure. I have one of his pamphlets that I will scan and post. He had Brunello Ancampora as a draftsman Victory design and Flexitab.

Edwardo ran the 44 Bearcat in 1989 breifly but I do not know if they ever raced it. The name came from the rainbow bears company. I went there full time in 1990/91 and we were running the 45 birket boat. I stopped in Viareggio 91 and returned in 98 with the diesel Bilboa. In 93 or 94 they rerigged the 44 and ran it with the boduin diesels, I think....The one shot I have was from Viareggio in 93 with the vines growing through it. The others are from Como in 89.

The composite 45 version was red but I do not know if it ever got past testing or if it was ever rigged. I will see if I can get some pics from my friend in Milan.

In Malta 93 was the birket hull painted red that was running with Pippo on the throttles when it ran out of fuel.

The boatmad site is pretty cool. You have a ton of photos. You had some pics of the mamamaritime boat my father did the transmissions for from 1968. Did you happen to have any of the Lambo SV that was painted the same as the boat????

If you want to use any of my photos you are welcome to them.

I am just starting to scan the old stuff. I realized I have been in offshore for 20 years this year so I started trying to put it all together before I forget.

Did you get any pics of the burned out 50 ft hull? I heard they pulled the drives and left the rest. I missed on the ostend 93, was that the first race of the season? I went to Iscia, Malta, St Tropez that I remember.

Here are more pics of Fausto's boats.
Attached Thumbnails Buzzi-pictures-patrick-014.jpg   Buzzi-pictures-patrick-003.jpg   Buzzi-pictures-patrick-004.jpg  

Old 01-23-2009, 01:44 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Story behind last pics. 44ft first test lake como 144 mph 8 deg C in december 89. To test they had to warm the oil on each motor with a jet burner, then start to get temp in block. It took forever and by the time they got the 4th engine started the first would not because it had cooled off so we left the motors running at an idle for almost an hour to get them all started.

The second is Achilli in 92 that is Jean Marc Sanchez (giving me the bird) last years class 1 world champ throttleman. He was crew on Colibri and throttled it when it had a canopy and was white.

The third was Lino Di Biasi's boat from Monte Carlo worlds in 90. That is Bepe Conti and Roberto Incani in the photo. That was the first race of three. SDA caught on fire and Caseragi stopped to help, putting him out of the worlds. The next race SDA and Gancia went for it flat out.....

pat W

Last edited by shifter; 01-27-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:07 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Pat - screaming across the ocean at midnight must have been totally surreal!! Keep the pics and stories coming!

Back to the Colibri for a second, I believe it crashed because they did not see a large wave that had been produced by a large ship somewhere off in the distance and launched big time. I think also that it was a sit down configuration. (so they listened to that part T2x!)
Old 01-23-2009, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flying Fish

That 3rd pic is Saflio in the 1990 Monaco Worlds.

Casiraghi was killed in 1st race and then they abandoned the series,so don`t understand the SDA/Gancia comment.

That stern shot of the white cat in the first series of bearcat pics `shifter`with no cockpit visible,what`s that all about?

Sorry to be a pain,but us anoraks like to know these things.

Quick Reply: Buzzi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.