Notices

My Resto Project

Old 01-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 195 Likes on 76 Posts

AEX,

I remember your boat clearly from a race in Rochester, NY back in 1989. I was the Race Director and you guys put on one hell of a show. In fact if memory serves me correctly, a picture that appeared the day after the race in the local newspaper got one of the chopper pilots in a bit of trouble with the FAA. It clearly showed him flying about 20 feet off the water right beside a pack of race boats battling it out. Apparently that was a no-no.

The other historically interesting thing about that race was that it was one of the very first "arena style" races where spectators could see the entire course from several vantage points on shore. Although some folks (racers) didn't like the idea, the spectators loved it and you saw what happened with the concept as years went by.

Wasn't your boat powered by Richie Zuhl small blocks at one time?

Keep up the good work on bringing the old girl back to her former glory.

Tom
Old 01-28-2013, 08:59 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
Glad Pops could help!
Me too ! I'm very comfortable dealing with your dad .

Originally Posted by 12meter joe
Just read this whole thread... Awesome job! Always loved that boat, my dad used to take me to the races back in the late 80's early 90's. miss them days but great memories! Ok, now that I just killed 2 hrs at work I should do something. Lol
Thanks so much ..... and shame on you ! lol
Where did you see the races ?

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
AEX,

I remember your boat clearly from a race in Rochester, NY back in 1989. I was the Race Director and you guys put on one hell of a show. In fact if memory serves me correctly, a picture that appeared the day after the race in the local newspaper got one of the chopper pilots in a bit of trouble with the FAA. It clearly showed him flying about 20 feet off the water right beside a pack of race boats battling it out. Apparently that was a no-no.

The other historically interesting thing about that race was that it was one of the very first "arena style" races where spectators could see the entire course from several vantage points on shore. Although some folks (racers) didn't like the idea, the spectators loved it and you saw what happened with the concept as years went by.

Tom
More like 10 feet . I coulda' shook his hand .
Several kind fans from Rochester mailed me newspapers following the race ! I have the photo ! I'll post it , You decide .
The engines were something I concocted .
Thanks for the words of encouragement . This project has been languishing too long .

Imagine back then there were always fans that would post office mail us a news paper . No internet or email . I am very grateful they took the time .

Last edited by aex; 01-28-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 202 Likes on 55 Posts

I believe this was a local boat back then? St Clair shores? The last race I seen of your boat I believe was key west 1990. I have been to just about all the Michigan races from back then. My dads friend used to drive for a few race boats and another throttled a bunch. Kirk Strehler and Red Crain. I had so much fun and seen a lot that I probably shouldn't have at that age! lol Party crowd!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:21 PM
aex
Registered

AEX,

Tom
Photocopied from a Rochester newspaper . Maybe I should have scanned
Attached Thumbnails My Resto Project-amcharge.jpg  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I believe this was a local boat back then? St Clair shores? The last race I seen of your boat I believe was key west 1990. I have been to just about all the Michigan races from back then. My dads friend used to drive for a few race boats and another throttled a bunch. Kirk Strehler and Red Crain. I had so much fun and seen a lot that I probably shouldn't have at that age! lol Party crowd!
Sorry, AMERICAN EXPRESS was Not a Lake St Clair cat.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:59 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,152 Likes on 311 Posts

Just talked to Jason, said your sending the gimbals...you wont be dissapointed!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 195 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by aex
Photocopied from a Rochester newspaper . Maybe I should have scanned
Yea, that's one of them. Although the photocopied version isn't quite clear, I'd put that chopper at what, 7-10 feet off the water? Great picture and great headline though! Thanks for the memories!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:32 AM
aex
Registered

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
Just talked to Jason, said your sending the gimbals...you wont be dissapointed!
I'm sending Performance Marine some loot today , I know I'm in good hands there .
Your dad always gives me his undivided attention .

Yea, that's one of them. Although the photocopied version isn't quite clear, I'd put that chopper at what, 7-10 feet off the water? Great picture and great headline though! Thanks for the memories!
I'm going to scan original to see if it comes out better .
I wonder who took it ? Maybe we can get an original ?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Joe, Maybe you were thinking of EASTERN EXPRESS ( H2O's former race boat), the white SKATER? I remember hanging with 'Red' Crain, Kaiser and the rest from the LSCORA Race Meetings at a no longer there bar/restaurant at 9mile and Jefferson when I was Crew for PEPPERS RACING ???????? Miss those days', great fun I wonder what those guys are doing nowadays. Most of the St Claire Racers are on here and that is a great resource !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 202 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jolley
Joe, Maybe you were thinking of EASTERN EXPRESS ( H2O's former race boat), the white SKATER? I remember hanging with 'Red' Crain, Kaiser and the rest from the LSCORA Race Meetings at a no longer there bar/restaurant at 9mile and Jefferson when I was Crew for PEPPERS RACING ???????? Miss those days', great fun I wonder what those guys are doing nowadays. Most of the St Claire Racers are on here and that is a great resource !!!!!!!!!!!!
Oops!lol wrong boat! I was totally thinking Eastern Express. Yes LSCORA, what a fun group that was. Kaiser's systems was always my favorite! I went to school with Reds step brother and see Red on the water every now and then. Other than that I don't know. I just got my boat 2 years ago so I am kinda just getting back into it.

Quick Reply: My Resto Project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.