Notices

My Resto Project

Old 02-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
Yes sir! Would to see your boat at our event this spring, your boat would look great there!
www.lakegeorgeperformanceweekend.com

Bad link?

http://perfmar.com/lake-george-performance-weekend/ works.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:01 AM
aex
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

OPA Class 3 is calling you The Old How Sweet It Is found a nice home there!
I don't know how well this hull would fare .
Two good things are when the bulkheads started going away I retired the hull from racing so it was never delaminated .
Second the new structure Itchiban Yachts built is literally aircraft composite quality and one of the nicest rebuilds I've ever seen . I'm so fortunate to have Bucky , Andy , Vinny and their crew as as dear friends .
Vinny Pard is presently in California heading up maintenance crews for for one of the America's Cup Challenge teams . I know he'll devise a process and oversee the fuel tank and cockpit installation on my lowly Chris when he returns to RI .
I'm still debating the cockpit , and the fuel tanks which need to be somewhat structural based on what was there originally . I don't want to bury the tanks in a bunch of foam to support the bottom . There was never any structure in these boats tying the bilge bulkhead to the front cockpit bulkhead except for the drop in cockpit liner that had a couple of feeble tabs from it's bottom to the top of tunnel . Some of you will remember these hulls had a tendency for the deck to delaminate then split from the gunnel to the shear just ahead of the bilge bulkhead .
Vinny needs to devise a method to prevent excessive torsional flex from occurring in this area without adding excessive weight .

Last edited by aex; 02-03-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 AM
aex
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Jim,

You bring back some fond memories with that picture! You guys (all of the racers) put on one hell of a show here. That was my very first race as Race Director and my father died 2 just weeks before the race. I had to attend to matters here and then take my mother back home to North Carolina. I got back only days before the race and my team had stepped in and taken care of everything for me. You may remember me talking about that at the awards ceremony after the race. I'm sure he was smiling down on all of us during the race.

As for the chopper pilot, that was some awesome flying wasn't it?

Tom
You guys put on one hell of a show which was no small feat considering the misfortune you had endured .
Do you remember the entire fleet (except for us) going the wrong way at the start ? We were the only boat in the first start that turned in towards the beach which gave us a big lead .
During the race we actually broke down . We pulled off the course , performed an improvised plumbing repair and got going again . Thanks to that good start we held on to win our class .
Better lucky than good .
Old 02-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by aex
You guys put on one hell of a show which was no small feat considering the misfortune you had endured .
Do you remember the entire fleet (except for us) going the wrong way at the start ? We were the only boat in the first start that turned in towards the beach which gave us a big lead .
During the race we actually broke down . We pulled off the course , performed an improvised plumbing repair and got going again . Thanks to that good start we held on to win our class .
Better lucky than good .
Oh I remember it! You should have heard the Coast Guard Chief on my radio. (The fleet was headed right towards him.) I assured him that everybody would get straightened out - and just hoped everybody would. Despite your repair time, you guys still pulled it off! lad you enjoyed it as much as we did. And as I recall, everybody donated their winnings to charity. I'm sure my dad was smiling.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:45 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,171 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by aex
I don't know how well this hull would fare .
Two good things are when the bulkheads started going away I retired the hull from racing so it was never delaminated .
Second the new structure Itchiban Yachts built is literally aircraft composite quality and one of the nicest rebuilds I've ever seen . I'm so fortunate to have Bucky , Andy , Vinny and their crew as as dear friends .
Vinny Pard is presently in California heading up maintenance crews for for one of the America's Cup Challenge teams . I know he'll devise a process and oversee the fuel tank and cockpit installation on my lowly Chris when he returns to RI .
I'm still debating the cockpit , and the fuel tanks which need to be somewhat structural based on what was there originally . I don't want to bury the tanks in a bunch of foam to support the bottom . There was never any structure in these boats tying the bilge bulkhead to the front cockpit bulkhead except for the drop in cockpit liner that had a couple of feeble tabs from it's bottom to the top of tunnel . Some of you will remember these hulls had a tendency for the deck to delaminate then split from the gunnel to the shear just ahead of the bilge bulkhead .
Vinny needs to devise a method to prevent excessive torsional flex from occurring in this area without adding excessive weight .
The demo race we put on would be the perfect event to get you hooked into racing again...err...I mean...dial the boat in after the rebuild is complete
Old 02-04-2013, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when is the demo race up thier johnny for this year.thank you
Old 02-04-2013, 07:36 PM
aex
Registered

The demo race we put on would be the perfect event to get you hooked into racing again...err...I mean...dial the boat in after the rebuild is complete
Your baiting a junkie , as naive as I am I've got at least couple of decades on you Sonny .I'd love to make your event and if I don't it won't be for lack of effort .
I talked to Jason today and all is well . My parts are in house safe and sound so hopefully this phase can go forward soon .

Last edited by aex; 02-04-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,171 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by aex
Your baiting a junkie , as naive as I am I've got at least couple of decades on you Sonny .I'd love to make your event and if I don't it won't be for lack of effort .
I talked to Jason today and all is well . My parts are in house safe and sound so hopefully this phase can go forward soon .
Good to hear my friend! Im sure you and Jason can swap stories for hours.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:27 PM
aex
Registered

Good to hear my friend! Im sure you and Jason can swap stories for hours.
I have a few , he has many .
Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 PM
aex
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Oh I remember it! You should have heard the Coast Guard Chief on my radio. (The fleet was headed right towards him.) I assured him that everybody would get straightened out - and just hoped everybody would. Despite your repair time, you guys still pulled it off! lad you enjoyed it as much as we did. And as I recall, everybody donated their winnings to charity. I'm sure my dad was smiling.

A friend has contacted that Rochester paper and is tying to get original photos from the race .
Who knows ?
Do you know Nuri Subuncu ? ( Chairman of the Board / Turkish Express ?)

Quick Reply: My Resto Project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.