Notices

Old 05-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I grew up watching this sport evolve just like everyone else. Since 1982 I have lived and breathed offshore racing. I have been racing since 1993. I agree things have changed in EVERY form of motorsport. But to say the guys that are racing today couldn't compete with what happened 30 years ago is crazy. I was watching an OLD NNRT video the other day and was thinking of how cool the races were in GIANT seas and rememberd that they were going 40 mph slower back then compared to what we are doing today. Do you guys really think that JT in the TWIN enging 50' Mystic wouldn't SMOKE.....ANY of the superboats from back in the OPT days? Honestly? I was there 1/4 of the boats would finish the races back then. The boats today are 100 times better built, rigged, & are 1000 times safer. Reading about guys tell how great they WERE and how much better it WAS just leaves a bad taste.....we are here NOW it is 2008 some of us are still racing and want o make racing better, don't shoot us down just because of how "THEY" did it way back when.....it's all the same only the names have changed........there have been plenty of the old timers try to make comebacks.....it's not as easy as you may think. I challenge anyone to go out and give it a shot. There are plenty of RENTAL seats available to anyone who thinks they've got it! For the rest of you that want to live in the past come on down to Sunny Isles Beach and re live the glory days! Just my $.02 sorry for the rant.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:51 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Haha !

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Oh no...don't pull that modesty crap with those of us who can still remember.....Take a look at the Bushmills tape....you were doing all the interviews, you let the drivers get an answer in every now and then, to keep it entertaining.

You old fart, you better be at the reunion and bring your camera.
Charlie, you having a Senior moment or What ? That was NOT ME - it was Doug Calhoun - a friend of mine - he is the one that narrated and interviewed - NOT ME ! Unless I am having a HUGE SENIOR moment - its NOT me !

I will be in China a week before the race- If JET LAG is gone- will try to get there - I wish I had some of my old equipment - however its all gone - only a simple home video camera now !

Will try to be there Charlie ! will you have special parking for Seniors ? PHIL
Old 05-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Sal, re sent you an e-mail
Old 05-24-2008, 02:24 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
I guess I knew something was comming, just not as strong as you are putting it. I am sure you are taking my whole writing out of context, and that`s your choice. Maybe I`m just burned out on Offshore after doing it for so many years. I guess the way you put it, this old timer will cease and dissist. You have a great time out there. I`ll hold my writings to my book of memoirs.
Richie - dont feel upset - You are right - its easy for others to say things - when they have never done anything - You have done it all - and in a Classy way too - Keep writing - keep your opinions coming - many read what you say and agree - only never say anything - Hope I can get to Florida in June to meet you again -

NOW DO NOT STOP WRITING ! we all want to know more and more !

PHIL
Old 05-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil M
Charlie, you having a Senior moment or What ? That was NOT ME - it was Doug Calhoun - a friend of mine - he is the one that narrated and interviewed - NOT ME ! Unless I am having a HUGE SENIOR moment - its NOT me !

I will be in China a week before the race- If JET LAG is gone- will try to get there - I wish I had some of my old equipment - however its all gone - only a simple home video camera now !

Will try to be there Charlie ! will you have special parking for Seniors ? PHIL
Phil check out the Bushmills interview with Howard Arneson....it was your face and voice....but if you were going under the name of Doug Calhoun...who am I to blow your cover.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

As far as the race that is coming up at sunny Isles. New or old, the racers are still going to have a great time.

Once you get out on the open ocean, everything is equal for everyone, cat vs V and single vs Twin or turbine.....that is the real beauty of the sport and that is why none of us, young or old, have given into the call of the hydroplane or circle boat racing....there is nothing in the world like an unbroken horizon everywhere you look,,,,that is freedom.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:40 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Default U sure ?

Phil check out the Bushmills interview with Howard Arneson....it was your face and voice....but if you were going under the name of Doug Calhoun...who am I to blow your cover.
Charlie - I dont have the Bushmills - if you have a clip - or something that SHOWS MY FACE - then I will admit - that you are right - however - my memory fades and I just thought I was never on Camera - until a cameo in 1986 - a la A. Hitchcock getting on a bus in one of his films.

I will try to get to Miami - if you have any info as to where things are - so I can put them in my GPS - then I wont get lost -

YOu know - it was 32 years ago that I sold my Boat and its being restored - it may be there too - wow, hard to believe how time flies.

Be well Charlie -

PHIL
Old 05-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how about so the fans can see and pay $ so the sport can grow or is all a whose got the biggest set to not see land rule?? if its only about reading a compass and rigging well i think some of the young boys can keep up but i am not sure... how about Ryan B taking two outboards and running way over 100 or even the papa dukes guys always running hard in that little green piece...lets not try to murder our legacy....???? get in there and help. How about Aronow teaching Charlie, i wounder how many times he told McCarthie how many champs he won....and how great he was...HE didnt, he was cooler to have everyone think he was the piece then tell everyone he was the piece! I have to stop typing need to build more little boats so charile doesnt drill a hole in one of my TRS drives...
Christian
Ryan, thanks for the call. i am with you all the way if you ever need a driver up north call me up
Old 05-24-2008, 09:28 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts

As far as the race that is coming up at sunny Isles. New or old, the racers are still going to have a great time.

Once you get out on the open ocean, everything is equal for everyone, cat vs V and single vs Twin or turbine.....that is the real beauty of the sport and that is why none of us, young or old, have given into the call of the hydroplane or circle boat racing....there is nothing in the world like an unbroken horizon everywhere you look,,,,that is freedom.
I don't have a dog in this but this sums it up pretty nicely, no one like to think that what they are doing is all for naught, old racers and new alike. Had it not been for the older style racing , todays wouldn't exist, and I think it's wrong to look down at todays racing because at least they still are, times and equipment change. I think now would be a good time to help our sport and hobby grow by embracing it and making it better. I have friends that race and my company supports and sponsors them. I said a year ago that if an old school style race came up I was in, well I am, I like to think that hopefully I am helping people like myself just enjoy it, society has proven that retro works, lets hope this does. Everything advances, technology in boats and boat building has grown by leap years, I'm sure even Charlie uses newer style products to make a better safer product, its what business's do, they evolve, evolution isn't a bad thing properly managed.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bobcat, Worked The Weekend, Just Got In, But Handled Business, Address On The Way... Sal

Quick Reply: 1992

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.