Notices

Bounty Hunter

Old 08-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalaazar
No I am from Poole in Dorset. The Magnum Is dated 12 September 1971 and is currently undergoing a total re-fit.
New Algrip paint, upstroked 383ci motors, new Mayfair steering new screen, new trim etc. I am building a full set of photos to put on the site soon. With regards to the "Bounty Hunter" pictures, my son was the navigator, and our Magnum is older than he is. The boat that " Bounty Hunter" is tied up to in the dock "War Horse" is my brothers Apache 41 also here in Poole on the UK South Coast.
ATB
Kalaazar
Do you know what happened to the Volvos that were on it?

Jeff
Old 08-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 1,930 Likes on 756 Posts

I'm thinking "Slap Shot" was "Snapper Norris" for whatever reason.
Thinking/remembering that boat was named based of owners hockey
affiliation.
I look at today's boats and try to become a fan and then run across these pix's....., I owe to these drivers from the day to stick to my ways. Sorrys guys. This was the ****.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 08-10-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hallj
Do you know what happened to the Volvos that were on it?

Jeff
I was told by John Eberhardt that when he sold them they were fitted to an Aluminium 25` Don Shead boat.

Ian
Old 08-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...64/1/index.htm

Great story about this race. These guys were characters. They built the sport on guts and blood.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 1,930 Likes on 756 Posts
Default That is......

Originally Posted by smokeybandit
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...64/1/index.htm

Great story about this race. These guys were characters. They built the sport on guts and blood.
BADD ASS! A 187 mile race Way cool story.
And no doubt to the men of the day.
Thank you sir!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:29 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Billy Martin is a class act .
I met him in Point Pleasant in 1989 when he throttled a 41 Apache , Lethal Weapon . During the race I was sandbagging , saving the gear . The Apache driver crossed our bow twice and waked us pretty good , their rooster tail almost blew me out of the boat . I mean once is an accident but twice ? C'mon .
At the awards ceremony Billy came over , introduced himself ( not that he needed an introduction , he was the buzz of the weekend and apparently pulled out of retirement just to clean my clock ) and said " Sorry about my driver . I told that SOB if he ever does anything like that again I'll pull the kill switches . "
He had my admiration and on that day also earned my respect .
Mr. Martin I wish you well .
Old 08-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
I'm thinking "Slap Shot" was "Snapper Norris" for whatever reason.
Thinking/remembering that boat was named based of owners hockey
affiliation.
I look at today's boats and try to become a fan and then run across these pix's....., I owe to these drivers from the day to stick to my ways. Sorrys guys. This was the ****.
i agree 100% old school all the way
Old 08-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalaazar
I was told by John Eberhardt that when he sold them they were fitted to an Aluminium 25` Don Shead boat.

Ian
Ian,

Are you around home this weekend? Would love to nip 'round and have a look at your 27 and the 28.

I'm up in Milton Keynes 'til next week.

Jeff
Old 08-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hallj
Ian,

Are you around home this weekend? Would love to nip 'round and have a look at your 27 and the 28.

I'm up in Milton Keynes 'til next week.

Jeff
Hi Jeff, I will be working on the 27 again this Saturday, the 28, is long gone.
However my brother should also be around with his 41 Apache. So come on down I would be pleased to show you the boats.
Either PM me or call 07836 763443 to set a time and location.
Ian
Old 08-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that was lester, he did a lot of stupid stuff. I remember sitting in a 2006 OPA race, And Billy Jr and I start talking. Then Sr comes over and remembers Ed Toth from Pred 41 apache and asks me to ask eddie to tell us all the story of the flare gun...well i convince Mr Martin Sr to share right then and there at the 06 drivers meeting with my family and Ed toth Jr. Back in the day when the 41s where all racing hard they had their fuel trucked in. All teams has pre orderd a certain amount. Well Island runner got theirs, Star chaser, fire water, warrior, then here comes lester in leathal Weapon and Tops off. Martin at that time was running the throttles for LEster. He told him to only get a certain amount. Well Lester did what lester always does and he Tops off all his tanks. Now here comes Ed in Predator. He goes to get his ordered amount and he comes up a bit short. Ed is steaming and the fuel man tells him its Lesters fault cause he got more then his share. Eds motors are high high compression injected jobs and he cant just stick 93 in to make up for it. Now all the boats are in the wet pits running getting ready to go mill. Ed walks down the dock and over to lester. Ed knowing the true sportsmen Martin is says the folling to MArtin in front of Lester. " Billy, If I run out of fuel cause Lester is a **** head, and you just happen to go by us, you duck cause i am going to shoot Lester in the head with the FLARE GUN"

and at that Billy grinned then laughed. THere are not many people out there like the Martins. We need more class like them in our sport.

Be safe, and keep the flare gun oiled and loaded

Quick Reply: Bounty Hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.