Attached Thumbnails Cristex?-cristex.jpg  
Old 10-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skrap
Gentlemen,

Here is a photo of Cristex.

John
From the Beken of Cowes calendar of 1982.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:44 PM
skrap
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct!
Old 10-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Registered

Default RE: Cristex

THATS IT!!! Man, my memory really sucks...It's got Bertam all over it. I do clearly remember the staggerd snorkels. Hell, when I worked on the boat I was crawling up the bow pulling hose, in the hole running wire, etc. etc. Never paid attention to all the sponsor or mfg logos. I built engines and mounted drives. Didn't care about much of the rest. I always saw her on the trailer, or her insides, her drives, cutting my leg on one of the clevers (still have the scar), or the view from the bolster. I can't believe it was 30 years ago already. Thanks for the pic. Still haven't found any of mine yet.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Registered

We wait your pics digger1!
Old 10-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Registered

Others story of Cristex here:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...oodwrench.html
Old 10-18-2009, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Another picture - not many are there?!
Attached Thumbnails Cristex?-cristex-24.jpg  
Old 10-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Registered

christex wa s thd old streaker of preston henn and errol lanier
Old 10-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts

catfish, are you Errol? You might not remember me. I was just a punk 18 year old back when I started racing in 1984. I raced the red Chris Cat Smokey and the Bandit and the Skater Renegade. You and Bob were always great to me and always gave me encouragement. In fact, when I had my accident in 86 in Grand Haven, Bob was one of the first people I ran into at the marina after leaving the hospital. He was in his Porsche with Sal Magluta, and they both joked around with me and told me that I looked like I was hit by a bus.
Old 05-13-2023, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Wow where to begin? I don't frequent these forums but was alerted to this post by old family friend Phil Lewis and felt obliged to set the record straight in honor of my late father George Christensen.

Originally Posted by digger1
Yeah, I know the boat...I helped rig it, me and Billy Lauden.

The boat never needed "rigging". It came out of Bobby Moore's shop ready to run from Preston. We freshened the motors many times and I added some Kiekhaefer shift and throttle sticks and that's about it except for cosmetics. Billy Lauden was a welder only and new zero about rigging a boat. Any rudimentary machine work he may have learned during his limited time with us like grinding a valve seat he learned from me. Never touched any part of the boat engines. This was a small operation and there was only a handful of people who worked on this boat and its engines I promise, you weren't one of them.

I'm almost positive it was 42' and carried the "Corsica" marque on it.

No idea what you're talking about and neither do you. Boat was a '38 Bertram Competition.

The hull was definitely Kevlar 49 and had four inflatable cells.

Wrong. Boat was fiberglass and had no inflatable cells.

It ran twin 582 big block Chevys with Hilborn injection.

Wrong. 482's with Crower based Kinsler mechanical timed injection units.

The outdrives were of course Kiekhaefer as were the planes.

Of course they weren't. Both the drives and tabs were Mercrusier.

Pumped the throttles for an hour once at about 90 knots in 6 ft. seas during testing (what a rush).

Delusional. From the time we owned it until we sold it nobody ever "pumped the throttles" but me and on it's best day that boat wasn't capable of 90 knots in 6 ft seas with Preston Henn and Erol Lanier or Sammy James or anyone else piloting .(Being an expert surely you realize 90 knots is 104 mph ! This is a heavy V-hull in 1979. ). My father always drove and the third seat was whoever we plugged in for navigator or for a test run.

I worked part time for Gerard, not at the Cape Island Yacht Sales, but rather P.R.E. (Performance Racing Engines).

Have no idea who you are but you never worked for us. The place was not even called Cape Island Yacht Sales it was NJ Yacht Sales.

This was Gerard's (funded by daddy) business located in what used to be the yacht showroom. He loved to spend money on expensive hobbies and daddy just went with it.

My father earned his money the honest way, with hard work and determination. He found financial success operating a couple textile mills in North Carolina (Christensen Textiles = CRISTEX) and used the money to pursue his dream of living at the shore and racing boats. As his son I worked for him right out of high school for a nominal fee ( $80 a week as I remember) just enough to keep me in beer and hamburgers and pay the Snap-On man each Friday. Of course there was a lot of perks that came with that job. I had to grow up fast and learned a lot. By 18 I was proficient at running every piece of equipment in that shop and could blueprint an engine. I had the good fortune of being trained to operate the Sunnen equipment by a gentleman named Frank Steenstra who was the East coast rep and field agent . Great guy and mentor.

After the 1980 or 1981 Benihana (don't remember, I'm old), we took the week off. When I showed up for work a week later, the entire building was empty (were talking a complete racing engine machine shop with over 12 state of the art machines, the Cristex, a few others, engines, cars, etc.). I can't believe they were able to move all that equipment in such a short time.

More nonsense. Our lease on the building was up at the end of 1981 and Grant Bauer who owned and operated NJ Yacht Sales decided he wanted to either sell out or explore new uses for the building. I think he had also grown tired of the noise and commotion associated with the race cars and boats . This was a working marina and boat showroom. We moved the equipment out of the front showroom and consolidated it into the two back rooms where we continued to operate at a limited capacity for another year. Nobody left overnight, it was the complete opposite a long and slow departure. The shop and it's contents was then moved to Rahway, NJ where I continued to do machine work and build competition engines under the same name. In 1985 we powered the American Express Chris Cat with supercharged 482's and set a new world speed record for offshore powerboats at over 140 mph at Mecrury's Lake X . I throttled that boat also .

My guess is they owed someone alot of money considering the way they suddenly departed. Anyway, they left without any forwarding, and all of us were left high and dry. I wasn't at that race because of a family emergency, but I believe they popped the starboard engine if not both. FYI.

My father never owed anybody a dime !

If nothing else you are consistent. Every single thing you said was wrong.

I find it incredulous that someone would take the time to contrive such a blatant load of B.S. and fantasies. It would be funny it wasn't sad. I feel sorry for you that you don't have a real life story of your own to tell. Do yourself a favor and seek help, it's not healthy to live that way. Get out of the house and accomplish something on your own. And keep in mind, it's much easier to remember the truth than it is a bunch of lies.

To the good folks of this forum I suggest if you want the real history you should rely solely on people of good character like Mr Phil Lewis who is a standup guy and was actually there back in the day to observe the day to day operations of these race teams including ours.
​​

Gerard Christensen
Engine Builder /Throttleman _ CRISTEX
The following 5 users liked this post by CRISTEX:
Fast Shafts (05-15-2023), larslindroth (09-04-2023), Lee (09-11-2023), smashm (09-04-2023), TeamSaris (09-05-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.