Notices

Cristex?

Old 08-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Cristex?

Does anybody remember a Bertram named Cristex? I think that was the name. It was the first race boat I ever got to sit in (it was in drydock). Had to be around 1979-1980.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeybandit
Does anybody remember a Bertram named Cristex? I think that was the name. It was the first race boat I ever got to sit in (it was in drydock). Had to be around 1979-1980.

Yes...Cristex #24,it was a 38ft Bertram that ran in Open Class in 1979 and 1980.The boat was owned by Gerard Christensen(sp?),and was run out of Cape Island Yacht Sales in Point Pleasant Beach,NJ.Great looking boat..the 38ft Bertrams were always some of my favorite hulls.Wonder were it is now?The Benihana Grand Prix races during that time frame were great events.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 166 Likes on 57 Posts

I have a race dvd with that boat in it
Old 08-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cristex of George and Gerard Christensen was the former second Streaker of Preston Henn winner of the Bacardi Trophy and San Francisco races in 1976.
With the Christensen brothers compete in APBA from 1979 to 1981 without success.
Then the boat reappeared in the competition several years after like Mr.Goodwrench.
Now I think it's under restoration.
Here more info:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...nn#post2117779

Last edited by Black Tornado; 08-15-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Registered

Default RE: Anyone know the Cristex

Yeah, I know the boat...I helped rig it, me and Billy Lauden. I'm almost positive it was 42' and carried the "Corsica" marque on it. The hull was definitely Kevlar 49 and had four inflatable cells. It ran twin 582 big block Chevys with Hilborn injection. The outdrives were of course Kiekhaefer as were the planes. Pumped the throttles for an hour once at about 90 knots in 6 ft. seas during testing (what a rush). I worked part time for Gerard, not at the Cape Island Yacht Sales, but rather P.R.E. (Performance Racing Engines). This was Gerard's (funded by daddy) business located in what used to be the yacht showroom. He loved to spend money on expensive hobbies and daddy just went with it. After the 1980 or 1981 Benihana (don't remember, I'm old), we took the week off. When I showed up for work a week later, the entire building was empty (were talking a complete racing engine machine shop with over 12 state of the art machines, the Cristex, a few others, engines, cars, etc.). I can't believe they were able to move all that equipment in such a short time. My guess is they owed someone alot of money considering the way they suddenly departed. Anyway, they left without any forwarding, and all of us were left high and dry. I wasn't at that race because of a family emergency, but I believe they popped the starboard engine if not both. FYI
Old 10-13-2009, 03:47 AM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default um..... NOT Corsica - BERTRAM 38 -

Originally Posted by digger1
Yeah, I know the boat...I helped rig it, me and Billy Lauden. I'm almost positive it was 42' and carried the "Corsica" marque on it. The hull was definitely Kevlar 49 and had four inflatable cells. It ran twin 582 big block Chevys with Hilborn injection. The outdrives were of course Kiekhaefer as were the planes. Pumped the throttles for an hour once at about 90 knots in 6 ft. seas during testing (what a rush). I worked part time for Gerard, not at the Cape Island Yacht Sales, but rather P.R.E. (Performance Racing Engines). This was Gerard's (funded by daddy) business located in what used to be the yacht showroom. He loved to spend money on expensive hobbies and daddy just went with it. After the 1980 or 1981 Benihana (don't remember, I'm old), we took the week off. When I showed up for work a week later, the entire building was empty (were talking a complete racing engine machine shop with over 12 state of the art machines, the Cristex, a few others, engines, cars, etc.). I can't believe they were able to move all that equipment in such a short time. My guess is they owed someone alot of money considering the way they suddenly departed. Anyway, they left without any forwarding, and all of us were left high and dry. I wasn't at that race because of a family emergency, but I believe they popped the starboard engine if not both. FYI
I knew George (the father) - he was a friend of mine - Gerard too - it was a 38 Bertram - for sure- I filmed it in San Francisco -and in other races - Gerard is in NJ- doing well - has a beautiful family too.

Marco was right - execpt not brothers - Father and son !

Phil
Old 10-13-2009, 06:43 AM
Registered

Default RE: Cristex

So what ever happend to PRE and why the sudden depar ture? I've always wondered about that fatefull day the shop dissapeard...
Old 10-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by digger1
So what ever happend to PRE and why the sudden depar ture? I've always wondered about that fatefull day the shop dissapeard...
Hello Digger1,
I think that Charles DeFrancisco owned PRE first and had move the shop from Englishtown NJ to Point at the Marina

Charles I believe sold the shop and sort of disappeared also.
Last I hear many years ago, he had a backhoe and dumptruck.
When Charles owned PRE, most of the equipment was chrome plated in the shop.
So a while ago.
Thank you
Jim
Old 10-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Registered

I didn't know much about the history of PRE. In fact I just offered my time in trade for machine work (I ran a Super Comp). I was actually a 1st run machinist for a undisclosed defense contractor and used to operate the CK-10 on occasion when they got backed up. It was a deal I had with Billy Lauden (one of Gerard's machinists). I also helped rig the boat. Thought it was a Bertram and thinking back, I wondered what that Corsica marque was. I can't even find any info on a mfg. named Corsica. My memory must suck worse than I thought (lol). All part of growing up, I guess... Anyway, I had a great time and Gerard had alot of cool toys including the Cristex. What a beautiful boat she was...and FAAASSSSST. Too bad they were unsuccessful in the APBRA. Thanks for everyone's input.

Digger
Old 10-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Registered

As a follow-up, if anyone is interested I believe I have quite a few pictures of the Cristex. When I find them, I'll scan them and post them here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.