Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Kiekhafer Aeromarine III in water again >

Kiekhafer Aeromarine III in water again

Notices

Kiekhafer Aeromarine III in water again

Old 07-13-2010, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by Bobby Moore that it was Kevlar. He said the deck and hull weighed 4200lbs. He said the boat was 8500 rigged.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 PM
MF
Registered

Damn.....I need to stop thinking of selling mine and go to work on to splash her !!!
Old 07-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MF
Damn.....I need to stop thinking of selling mine and go to work on to splash her !!!
Your 36' won the Cowes-Torquay-Cowes in 1972 after a long battle with the Black Tornado, which came second.
It could be a fascinating idea it can be restored in time for the event of the next year ....
Old 07-15-2010, 09:25 AM

Our Hull is stamped 73 and I was told by Bobby he ran it in the 74 season. Are you sure we are talking about the same boat?
Attached Thumbnails Kiekhafer Aeromarine III in water again-slap-shot-7.jpg  
Old 11-29-2010, 03:34 AM
Registered

Received 656 Likes on 302 Posts
Default No Kevlar 49 in Slap Shot.

Originally Posted by Fast Shafts
Slap Shot/Dirty Pearl question-The owner of Dirty Pearl claims the boat is made of Kevlar, I thought Cigarette was still using Polyester back in 1971 or 72 when the boat was made. When Kevlar first came out, it was referred to as "Kevlar 49". The first Bertram made of Kevlar 49 was Copper Kettle, 1978? What was the first Cigarette made of Kevlar???
Originally Posted by Ratman72
I dont think so, my understanding is that the 39' bubble deck, Bounty Hunter was the first Kevlar consytructed Cigarette, built in 78/79
Slap Shot was built late 1972 by Don Aronow with the intent to come back to racing for the 1973 season. However he changed his mind and only first returned in 1974 in a single production boat race with Steve Wynne in a stock Cigarette 36 wide-body.
Slap Shot was bought in 1973 by the owner of The Detroit Red Wings, Bruce Norris. He gave the boat to his nephew Arthur "Snapper" Norris to race for the season and he proved to be an excellent driver. Bobby Moore was throttling and he was enormously impressed by the young "rookie" driver Norris. They won 4 races in 1973 and 3 races in 1974 and ultimately claimed the 1974 National Championship in Slap Shot. At the end of the season they sold the boat and Jack Tushinsky entered ex. "Slap Shot" December 14Th 1974 as "Jumpin' Jack" in the Diplomat Race, off Hollywood, FL.
The 23 year old 'super talent' Arthur "Snapper" Norris retired from the sport and was missed by many fans. Legend Booby Moore summed it up after having previously throttled for four World Champions, "Snapper is the best driver I ever ridden with".

After Jack Tushinsky raced ex. Slap Shot as Jumpin' Jack throughout the 1975 season he sold the boat and stepped into a Cigarette 35' for the 1976 season. He called that 35' Jumpin' Jack also, but mechanical issues and a fading support from his father Irv Tushinsky ended his further attempts to accomplish glory in the sport.
I don't know who bought Slap Shot/Jumpin' Jack from Mr. Tushinsky at the end of the 1975 season.

Slap Shot was traditionally laid up and it wasn't 'till Bertram introduced the 38' Kevlar 49 boat "Copper Kettle", with DuPont's and Aeromarine's backing, that 1975 Champion Sandy Satullo the 19Th of January 1976 took delivery of the boat that he later jokingly claimed "would last a thousand years". Due to the fact that it had been, unknowingly to Satullo, overbuilt out of fear by DuPont that the hull would have a failure. They later chopped out 700 lbs in weight out of desperation to make the boat more competetive, but it was not enough. The "Copper Kettle" was the first larger offshore race boat ever built with Kevlar 49.

The first Cigarette built using Kevlar 49 was the 1977 Cigarette 39' 'Powerboat Magazine Special' and the very first offshore race boat built using Kevlar 49 was Larry Smith's Scarab 9 Meter 'Wyld One' for Australian Kevin Wyld in 1975. Bertram followed as previously mentioned with the larger 38' 'Copper Kettle' in 1976, but Larry Smith was way ahead in the game and it took a few years for other manufacturers, (basicly only Bertram), to start getting used to this new complicated material.
By 1980 Kevlar 49 was pretty much a must use material if You wanted to be a contender on the offshore racing circuit.
Attached Thumbnails Kiekhafer Aeromarine III in water again-post-13-1290722696.jpg-1972-cigarette-36-slap-shot-norris.jpg  
Old 11-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by larslindroth
I don't know who bought Slap Shot/Jumpin' Jack from Mr. Tushinsky at the end of the 1975 season.
In 1976 the boat was sold to Lawrence Wood,that re-named it Tamarind Seed,for the APBA races seasons 1976 and 1977.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 06-29-2013, 02:26 AM
Registered

Received 656 Likes on 302 Posts
Default Kiekhafer Aeromarine III in 2013 Skagerak Across!!!

Well it's time to move forward 3 years and give an update on Jørn Amundsen of Risør, Norway and his Kiekhafer Aeromarine III. He will be competing in the now historical open ocean offshore race Skagerak Across the 12th of July 2013. The 144 nautical miles for the distance Tvedestrand(Norway)-Hirtshals(Denmark)-Tvedestrand is famous for offering some treacherous conditions. The weather gods have not been kind since the 1982 race and even that was no walk in the park. The record from 1982 belongs to Peter Marcussen and Audun Tegdan. 2 hours and 48 minutes for the distance Tvedestrand-Hirtshals-Tved​estrand and 21 years later the record is still standing. At the time they drove a Norwegian Windy Junior. It was 22 feet and rigged with two Johnson outboard engines of 235 horsepower each. Last year the winner, Dag Rasmussen, did it in 3 hours and 10 min. The boat was a Goldfish 36' rib with 2x360hp Yanmar diesels. My ex. Swedish offshore racer Flying Flipper 29', (1989 28 degree v-hull), with 2x300XS Mercury placed 3rd under capable Dag Rudstrøm's command. Myself always cheering for the older boats against the newer Million Dollar boats participating is hoping that Jørn and Dag do really well!Video from Skagerak Across 2012: http://youtu.be/sgAeJtkeLjk

Last edited by larslindroth; 06-29-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bravo!
Old 06-30-2013, 07:15 AM
MF
Registered

Damn sleek !!!
What a boat !!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Registered

Thank you Lars,

Its a small world and we might do a quick trip to Sweden and Strømstad later in the summer(if the boat and engines survive Across skagerack 12.th July).

We are getting ready for the race and the engines enters dyno room tomorrow, more on the results later.

Take care, best regards Joern

Quick Reply: Kiekhafer Aeromarine III in water again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.